MINI Pure Silver 2003 Cooper R50, engineering student build

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by Tanner Stinson, May 17, 2018.

1. Tanner Stinson

Tanner Stinson New Member

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hello! I am new to the forums and will be coming here on and off. I purchased a 2003 Pure Silver Cooper standard last summer for a car for college, right here in Phoenix, Arizona. There are a lot of fun plans for this car, but I will leave you with my "most fun" render;

Cheers!

-Tanner

Mini Cooper Blank.jpg

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Welcome to MA. Nice it looks ready for the mountains.

3. Tanner Stinson

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I would have a little bit of fun and get some practice with a different CAD program with rendering.

-Tanner

4. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Which CAD program are you using. Regarding the rendering above, looks tough. I assume the 4 round blackish items above the brush guard are lights? What about dropping an LED light bar between the brushguard cross bar and the upper bar? The wheels remind me of the old style turbine wheels BMW's used to have.. Those were lightweight wheels.. also the design helped with cooling. :D

5. Tanner Stinson

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    This is with Autodesk Fusion 360, it's my go-to CAD program for anything involving rendering. SolidWorks isn't quite on par.

And yeah, they are lights. For some reason LED bars irk me. I favor the look of the rounds, like old rally cars, over the bars. Of course, LED bars make more sense in today's world though!

Thanks!

-Tanner

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I used to be an engineering student. I didn't have any money then though.

7. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agree - with the MINI I usually would say to go round... what about 4 smaller ones below the mid bar in front of what I assume is the skid or bumper bar?

8. Tanner Stinson

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I am very very far from having the money to do anything, even, to my car. Still in the hunt for an internship for summer part time work.

Yeah, bumper bar. I had another file with it drawn up already so I just adapted it to the Mini, it's a little bit excessive

-Tanner

9. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Funny - helped two other folks this year get internships (software).. I worked all the way through college, but I didn't remember "internships" being the thing. That said, Tech has a program called Co-Op. In this program, your work a quarter/semester then go to school. Worked better on the quarter system. What type of industry are you looking for an internship in?

10. Tanner Stinson

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, a Co-op is something that I was looking into. Instead I opted to do a 4+1 program to get my Masters of Engineering in 5 years, not 6.

I'm looking to get into anything mechanical/automotive engineering related. Last fall I applied to all the automotive companies that had internship positions, as well as a bunch of mechanical engineering companies in the Phoenix Valley and Seattle. Mostly I was looking for something to keep me busy for the summer- I did construction the past two, not looking to go back. Good money but it's more of a sidestep than I am looking for.

-Tanner

11. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I worked in a shipyard in the summer. It paid well, I could make enough money to pay for the next year of college, if I got my taxes in as early as possible. I didn't have much money left over. I meant to go into automotive engineering, but after I finished school, I just continued with ships, because I already had a foot in the door in that industry. I'm glad I did.

12. Tanner Stinson

May 17, 2018
    Male
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Funny enough I know someone who did the same thing, and by seeing your location tag I'd be guessing you are somewhere in the Puget Sound- he is at Bremerton.

-Tanner

13. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Funny how we get to where we are - I started in Aeronautical, then ID (Car design)... but ended up in Software. :rolleyes:

14. DneprDave

Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    Nah, I grew up in Portland Oregon and worked at the shipyard there. I live south of Tacoma Washington now, so you're right about the Puget Sound.

15. Whine not Walnuts

Whine not Walnuts Active Member

Mar 14, 2017
    waitin for my check
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Ratings:
    +338 / 0 / -0
    The best engineer I ever worked with was one that had worked in the field, he was a structural engineer. He had good common sense, something that I found many engineers and architects to lack. Most were egg headed idiots and don't even go into the ones that wore a bow tie.

Never went to college, made ice cream cones during the summer and when I got out of High School I became a Mason, no not the black ball type. Considering everything, it was not until the end of my career that I think I was turned down for a position because I did not have a degree. Managed projects that included schools, apartments, office buildings and pharmaceutical. My largest project is below.

Attached Files: