R53 R53 new clutch opinions & other work to do at the same time

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by agranger, Apr 18, 2018.

1. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Howdy all.

I just finished a big refresh project on my 2005 JCW, but one of my next 'to do' items on the car will be a clutch replacement. This is primarily a fun street car for me, with some possible weekends at the track or Auto-X thrown in. I've got coil overs, a BBK, refreshed suspension and a pretty stock JCW engine.

I've got a couple of questions for the community:

1) What clutch / flywheel combo do you recommend?

2) What else should I think about doing at the same time? Of course, I'd replace the guide tube, throw out bearing and fluids... I'm thinking about a LSD (Quaif vs OSG?), seals, axles and anything else that might make a whole lot of sense to do (preventative or upgrade) while I have the car apart.

2. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking of throwing a Valeo single mass kit into the car that needs the next clutch. Not concerned about holding power and all that stuff - that's just asking for hard to drive car with on/off clutch feel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049PMBCM

Choice of LSD will depend on the car in my case. For the more sporty fun car, it would be the OSG, but for the daily driver I'd be happy to just find a used Mini OEM LSD. However, those are very hard to locate. All I can find is complete transmissions and those cost close to a new OSG diff, so I'd rather throw that into the car than to swap out a used unknown transmission with usually the same or higher miles than my own known to be good transmission.

Axles can be swapped at any time without worrying about the transmission coming out. Seal engine to transmission definitely should be replaced when it's out and open.I'd also look into replacing the entire shift linkage mechanism, or at least rebuild all that stuff with new bushings. I want to get all that slop out of my shift lever.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,876 / 10 / -3
    I have the Valeo clutch and really like it.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Have an OSG LSD and love it. It’s a clutch driven and some people will not like it when the plates in it move when turning at low speed. If you have had a OEM LSD the OSG is much different. The traction and grip is so much better than the OEM LSD. You can feel it pulling hard when you point hot the go peddle. It also helps slowing down and going into a turn as the diff does not open like the OEM one. It stays engaged so both front wheels are griping when slowing down and turning in.

Last year was my first year at the Dragon with the OSG diff and it was awesome. Not much under steering and the point and go out of the corners is amazing. The last eight times at the Dragon were much different as the would push “under steer” a lot even when I was not pushing it that hard. My car and my driving skills have improved over the years but the OSG LSD finally tied everything together.

As for clutch I stayed OEM because the last one took a heal of a beating for 100,000 miles and I did not want to have and on/off race style clutch. Money was not an issue but I wanted a normal feeling clutch and the OEM one works fine.

When I did my clutch with the OSG lsd I also replaced all the seals, including the main seal, axle seals, both drive shafts. For axles I used RMW ones because they are better built than the OEM ones and cost less then OEM. Also they are much better then “the Driveshaft shop” axles which lasted less than 2 years.

RMW 500WHP AXLES $750.00
    Factory replacement axles that handle more power than the stock. Great for your track day Mini or daily driver.

http://store.revolutionmini.com/

Attached Files:

5. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    My bad rear main seal toasted the OSG clutch after having it for 5 yrs, ~33000 miles, so I replaced it and the rear seal with the Valeo flywheel/clutch combo last summer. The only time I disliked the OSG was in stop and go traffic like the Chicago "freeway". It's definitely not for everyone. However, it is nice to have a regular clutch back in the car. While the transmission was out, I also put in an OSG LSD and replaced the input shaft seal and the output seals. I also recommend replacing the clutch fork bolt, I touched mine with a socket and the head fell off, and also put in new clutch fork bushings.

Looking forward to the dragon with the new LSD.

6. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    Ran out to double check last night... LSD didn't show in the VIN options online and nope... No LSD on Rufus! :(

7. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Guess its time to put one in. :)

8. agranger

Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009