Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S R56 Clutches

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by btwdriver, Jan 5, 2010.

Tags:
  1. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone know who makes an aftermarket clutch for the R56? I know that OS Giken makes one (though it's pretty expensive) and I am pretty sure that Valeo makes one as well. I spoke with a tech from Valeo and he indicated that they are the OEM manufacturer for the stock R56 clutch and that their OEM replacement was manufactured to the same specs.

I don't currently have any clutch issues, but I have heard numerous reports of early failure on the stock R56 clutches. I am also getting ready to put a Giken LSD in and really thought I should replace the clutch at the same time (I only have around 36K miles). My car has a fair amount of mod's and right now I am making 230 ft/lb of torque to the wheel, hence my hesitation replacing my clutch with one of stock characteristics.

I REALLY like the Giken clutch, but if there is a more reasonable alternative I would like that.

2. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    From looking around the only not stock option appears to be the Giken clutch. I have ordered a Giken clutch and Giken LSD from the good folks at TSW. I will post a write up after I get the installation done.

3. btwdriver

btwdriver New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I have not heard very good things about SPEC clutches. Have you?

Thanks by the way.

4. skippydog

skippydog New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have used them in many high hp and high tq apps that where daily drivers and track cars. I havent had any issues with their products. Tech support is pretty dang good too.

5. ThumperMCS

ThumperMCS New Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Corporate Accountant
    OC, CA
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Valeo makes the stock clutch?

I thought it was LuK....

Regardless....they are junk!

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Been running a Spec Stage 3 for just over 40K miles now with no issues.

7. skippydog

skippydog New Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0