R56 JCW sets new MINI Track Record @ Streets of Willow (SOW)!!!

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by mike@MynesTuned, Mar 13, 2010.

1. mike@MynesTuned

mike@MynesTuned New Member

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    OFFICIAL Press Release => Redline Time Attack Streets Test

First Test & Tune event of 2010 and we are already turning in some amazing times... Took Lil Beast to SOW and shattered the previous MINI Record held by the RMW R53 (1.27.653)... Our R56 JCW bested that record by over THREE SECONDS and turned in 1.24.103

Here are some of the mods of the car:
    - ABF Upgraded IC
    - Mynes Custom Tune
    - ABF's Spec Eibach custom lowering Spring (Prototype)
    - ABF Spec Racing Pads
    - ABF Custom Turboback exhaust
    - OS Racing Clutch
    - OS Racing Diff
    - Enkei Wheel
    - Yoko Neova AD08 tires

Parts added since our last outing that clocked 1.27.691:
    - Added camber plates
    - Added the BSH Solid motor mount, oil catch can and boost tap
    - Mynes Stage II tune (rev limiter set to 7500rpm)

SOW_124.jpg

Here are some interested notes:
    - car is making 212whp/212wtqe on the ABF MD (not earth shattering, i know but it doesn't need to be).
    - car is making power and holding it steady to 7000rpm (big contributing factor).
    - we added the camber plates for this outing and that made a huge difference
    - time achieved using the Yoko Neova AD08 tires on Enkei rims

Other items that can improve this time in the future:
    - more areo both on TOP and BOTTOM
    - stickier tires
    - just a little bit more power :D

A Brief History of this car (Lil Beast):
    The transformation of Lil Beast from an ordinary R56 JCW to a mean little TA monster.

STOCK Configuration:
    Event 1: Car in its stock form ran 1:32 back in Sept... with these mods:
    - Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 tires
    - K&N Intake system
    - Enkei racing wheels
    - VP 103 Racing fuel

-------------------

Event 2: Took the other TWIN - "Sweet Pea" - Blue JCW R56 to Spring Mountain for the Redline #7 stop. On the same identical setup as Lil Beast in Event 1, she ran 2:51.428... Sweet Pea is a little heavier b/c she has a sun roof and Lil Beast does not.

For compairison: #38 (Integra Type R) ran 2:47.969 = that's 3.5 sec faster than the R56.

-------------------

Stage I Mods:
    Event 3: For Redline TA Stop #8, we added the following mods to "Lil Beast" now that the Eibach Springs are completed and prototyped.
    - ABF Upgraded IC
    - Mynes Custom Tune
    - ABF's Spec Eibach custom lowering Spring (Prototype)
    - ABF Spec Racing Pads
    - ABF Custom Turboback exhaust
    - OS Racing Clutch
    - OS Racing Diff

Car did really good and ran 1:59.595 and took 1st in the Stock FWD class...
    http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/racing-mini-s/1978-abf-mynes-r56-ta-podiums-cal-speedway-first-place-finish.html

For compairison: #38 (Integra Type R) ran 2:03.404 = that's almost 4 seconds slower than the R56.

So assuming the Type R made no changes between Stop #7 and #8, the R56 did a total improvement of 7.5 seconds (yeah, i know this is not a fair assessment, but it's good for referencing to see how much improvment were made based on the above upgraded parts in relation to a fellow car).

-------------------

Event #4: Redline 2009 Time Attack Customer Appreciation Day @ Streets of Willow Springs

Lil Beast JCW ran 1:27.6...compared to its previous run of 1:32, that's almost 5 seconds faster...

-------------------

What's in store for 2010? Only time will tell. Lil Beast will be a dedicated TA car that will used for racing and R&D for ABF and Mynes Tuning solutions... very much looking forward to the new year...

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Camber plates. It was all in the camber plates. ;)

Great job! :Thumbsup:

3. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    the R56 JCW won first place again this past weekend at Spring Mountain...

Best laptime: 2.39:516 (that's an 12 second improvement over last year's track time!!!) - see results from Event 2 from the initial post.

In comparision, Car #38 (Integra Type R) ran a 2.48:809... last year, it ran a2:47.969

4. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    this might explain part of it.......

Eric Emmerson in the E&A Motorsports Acura Integra suffered an engine failure on his built turbo motor just prior to the event, but showed up with a stock engine and took home 2nd place with a 2:48.809.

was this the Alta/Cobb tuned car that you got the access port for??

what happened to Dez in the 800 @ the crank turbo R53?

Super Modified - FWD
    1 69 BALLARD, DEZ 02:52.785

congrats on the track record:Thumbsup:

5. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Nice to see a R56 setting records. Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    Good news seeing a R56 do this Mynes :Thumbsup:

7. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Kudos to Eric for making the effort and still competed in the race. Nope, the AP was for a 2007 S (customer Car)... the Time Attack R56 is still tuned by Mynes using the Dimsport software ;)

Wow, we are up to 800HP now? the Internet does give you wings LOL. The Red car is undergoing some body mods, but it will be ready for Sonoma next month... Why don't you come out and play? TVS still down? or do you only play at SOW?

This 'track record' was set with a 2010 Camden (Automatic) with ABF Springs and Yoko A048's :)

8. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    maybe you should read your own website...........it says 800@ the crank..........

I see the days of fireball still linger........ some things are just hard to get rid of........

heck, I can't drive worth a darn......... but still the fastest NON pro driver around SOW with 6 track days....... maybe you want to race me around Sow?

9. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Jan, can we get back on topic? Not everything has to be a pissing contest between two PROFESSIONALS does it?

Or is that asking too much?

10. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    sorry Joe........

Mike wondered where I got the info..........directly off their ABF site.......

I'll let them go back to their own hype now..........

sorry to offend everyone.....:Thumbsup:

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thanks to one person this has all gone to hell.

Need some time to think of how to deal with all this. Only on 1st cup of coffee...

Thread closed till I can calm down and deal with it in a proper manner

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Trash talk between racers is fine, however there are boundaries.

To use the racing analogy, lets keep it on the paved bits please.

Better yet....Opens Can of Worms(tm)

How about we try and figure out how we can get the same class of MINI on the same track at the same event from the various folks racing MINIs out there.

13. YesIFit

YesIFit New Member

May 25, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Tuner shootout! Find a suitable track, get a disinterested, third party driver, and let all the tuners bring whatever they want. Divide it into classes ... pure street, street/de, auto-x, track, etc. (Like what GRM does.)

14. mike@MynesTuned

May 16, 2009
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Nathan, i agree with you 100%. Last year at Spring Mountain, a fellow R56 JCW Owner (Chris' Black MINI) ran the best time for the MINI, and i believe his laptime was 2.49:xxx, and our blue JCW ran a 2.51:xxx in a very basic configuration.

With the Yellow TA R56, it's probably a couple hundred pounds lighter, a few extra HP more and has more aero than Chris' JCW car... but as far as chassis and internals, they are pretty much factory JCW.

This just goes to show how much faster a track car can be just with some proper mods... from 2.51:xxx (factory JCW race springs, Neova tires, stock tune) to Chris' time 2.49:xxx (factory JCW with upgraded pads, coilvers, wider tires, stock tune) to 2:39:xxx (factory JCW with upgraded pads, coilovers, exhaust, M7 aero package, Mynes race tune, Hankook RS3 tires and some weight reduction).

Whenever a MINI wins at the track, we are happy for the winner (no matter whose car it is). So if you guys want some pointers or have some better suggestions for any particular parts, feel free to send us a message :)

cheers...

15. Rooster

Rooster New Member

May 22, 2009
    Systems Engineer
    West Hollywood, CA
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This is a total rehash of "the sewing site" from last year.
    Like most things internet based, nothing actually came of it.

Except chest thumping, pot shots, etc.

We won't even talk about the influence from the other side of the pond (drag race vs road race) etc. etc.

It's enough to make your head spin.

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    One day it may happen...

There are some things going on behind the curtains using back-channels...

Stay tuned

17. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    These things never settle anything. My younger brother and I used to have these arguments all the time to no avail. You can argue and test and race all you want, but until both parties are willing to accept the other may be better, a "winner" will never be declared. There are always excuses to be made, rematches under slightly more favorable conditions, and claims of unfair advantage. And besides, who wants to win this sort of thing? Then you're just stuck with a target on your back and the responsibility to "defend" your crown against all challengers, with no discernible spoils.

Frankly, the more tongue wagging I see, the more turned off I am. Go ahead and have your fun, but don't expect any sort of resolution to this useless trash talking.

18. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Agree to a point Ben but isn't it just human nature for us in a competitive environment to talk a little smack, pound our chest a little and proclaim that we're the biggest Cock in the barn yard... Also isn't it natural that folks take sides, choose a team, root for a champion and do a little trash talk along the way? You see it everyday in the sporting world, I mean where would Ali have been if it wasn't for Frazier or Dallas if there weren't a Washington or heck close to home here, where would UNC be without Duke? I'm a Tarheel fan and I just love to hate Duke and thusly wish them never to go away...surely I didn't just say that, my father would disown me if he new. A problem arises though when it is taken to the extreme, made personal, like the time while attending a UNC/Duke game at Cameron indoor stadium and some over zealous Duke fans in the excitement of showing their support took it upon themselves to spit on the UNC fans.....way to personal for me and I shall never cast a shadow on that place again. But I can assure you that at the next game between them at the Smith center I will not spit on anyone...shout a few obscenities if we're behind but spit on anyone? No.

So I say carry on, the competition can be fun and productive in developing new stuff that makes our little cars go faster......but with less saliva please.......

Just me....
    LOL

19. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thread was headed south. I've cleaned a few things out of it that really had no bearings and moved it back to being live.

20. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Mark, the difference is that Ali actually fought Frazier.

Ali fought a lot of guys and won most of the time. It was his style of fighting that made people pay attention to his poetry, not the other way around. I'd love to see a little M/A Challenge Series, but if the trash talking is the main event, you can count me out.