Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen S R56 Tuning Information Desired here.

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by boosted_r56, Jul 6, 2011.

1. boosted_r56

boosted_r56 New Member

May 9, 2011
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Good afternoon,

Now I have been doing some major searching over the past 3 months on tuning and still havent found the exact answers I want. And sadly, I havent had the great support in receiving answers to my questions. Being this seems to be a fairly educated forums powered by those who race and tune these cars I am coming to you for answers.

Here is what I am looking for:
    More Power - Obviously who isnt.
    Reliability - I dont want completely push the car
    Customer Service - I want someone I can get in touch with when I have problems.
    Launch Control/2 step - I would like to know if this is something that can be tuned for without getting a WOT BOX.
    Flat Foot Shift - AKA NLS - I would also like to know if that is an option without a WOT BOX.
    Loaders - What are my flash loader options
    Multiple Maps - Do any of these loaders offer multiple maps features.
    Maps for Octanes - I am wondering if I can get maps for 91 or 100 octane or even E85 tunes.

I currently live in SLC, UT. I am extremely limited to tuning any thing that isnt an EVO or an STI locally. I am willing to drive to California for a tune as long as I know this tune is going to work just fine at 4400FT just as it would work at 100FT. I dont want to have to worry that once I hit elevation my car is going to run like crap again.

If one of the tuners can step in and answer some questions, discuss some pricing, etc I would greatly appreciate it.

Current Mods are: Catless DP, intake, FMIC, charge pipes, wmw dv, etc. Would like to get my second 02 shut off for the DP as well.

Future mods: K03/K04 hybrid turbo.

Thank you

Jaremy Cheetwood

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: You're over my head but don't fret. One of our Gear Head Miniacs or Sponsors should be along shortly.:Thumbsup:

Jason

3. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    If you're willing to drive to California you've got RMW and Mynes over there. You're a lucky man!

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like you are going to need and aftermarket ECU.

What year is your car?

5. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm pretty sure he has an R56 S if he's talking about a K03/K04 hybrid turbo modification. Basically it's a modified OEM R56 S turbo that has a bigger compressor wheel and I think even a bigger turbo compressor inlet. Hot stuff right now in the 2nd gen crowd.

Standalone ECU's aren't out yet for the R56 S, but the AccessPort would be a nice option for a lot of the stuff you mentioned. Both RMW and Mynes are testing the Cobb AccessPort now. You should give them a call! You could get custom tunes on the dyno and have the ECU calibrations stored in the AccessPort.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    My understanding is that the latest R56 ecu has not been cracked for tuning purposes, while the earlier ones have been.

7. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Call Jan at RMW. ;)

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Lets break these down a bit and see what we get...

More Power - Obviously who isn't.

- All the tuners out there will offer more. MINI has to compromise and make the vehicle perform for years with minimal hassle in conditions from Arctic to Death Valley like while returning a respectable MPG rating.

Reliability - I dont want completely push the car

- Communications with you turner is key here. The tuner should be receptive to pushing it as far as your comfort level and should communicate with you any added requirements to go further.

Customer Service - I want someone I can get in touch with when I have problems.

- These are all smaller or even one man companies. You have to open to the fact that at times it may take a week for them to get back to you.

Launch Control/2 step - I would like to know if this is something that can be tuned for without getting a WOT BOX.

- I'm going to say No as this would need to be programmed in from the getgo. Adding something such as this after the fact when it's not part of the base code is darn near impossible.

Flat Foot Shift - AKA NLS - I would also like to know if that is an option without a WOT BOX.

- See just above

Loaders - What are my flash loader options

- So far it looks like either a windows based laptop or the Cobb made Accessport product.

Multiple Maps - Do any of these loaders offer multiple maps features.

- I believe the Accessport does offer the ability to store more than a single map. With a laptop the number of maps that can be stored is virtually limitless.

Maps for Octanes - I am wondering if I can get maps for 91 or 100 octane or even E85 tunes.

- In theory, yes. In practice you might be the car these maps are made on and then shared with others.

There was no mention of the year and I believe that that '11 models have a harder ECU to crack, but I could be wrong about that, driving an R53 myself I've not totally kept up with the 2nd gen aftermarket tuning options.

It would behoove you to take this list of requirements and call the various MINI tuners to discuss what can and cannot be accomplished.

In no particular order:
    Way at Way Motor Works
    Jan at Revolution MINI Works
    Mike or Jason at Mynes
    Cobb Tuning - It is my understanding that the Austin TX branch is taking the lead on the MINI Maps.

9. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Nate, provided a good list to select from.

Cobb is releasing via Alta with the AccessPort, Jan and others are licensing via Alta, but providing custom tuning on that platform. (to the best of my knowledge).

I believe Clint of DOS does tune the R56 N14 engine, too.

The 2011 N18 R56etc/R60 engine ECU has not been cracked.

The JCW Tuning kit for the Countryman is not released not sure about the 2011 Hardtop, etc. But same engine same delay....

Don

10. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Launch control and No-Lift Shifting (us old Foggies call it power-shifting)?

Honest question: If it's a manual don't you have control of all of that with your feet?

I'm not even going to pretend to know anything about tuning one of these things. Sounds like there are plenty of options for you to attempt. Pics/Vids when it in-progress and the eventually done would be cool. Good luck to you.

11. Grim

Grim New Member

May 16, 2011
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would go with the AccessPort. It will provide the features and support your looking for. Among the things you listed the flat foot shift is the only thing it will not do at this time.

Other then that it can hold multiple maps and can be re-flashed very easily. It's small and can be kept in the glove box, arm rest, ect. It can data log and show live info. Can read and clear CEL codes. It has launch control, I think standard is 4k and is written into the maps. This can be changed though by some one with tuning software.

The customer support is very good. Right now there are 2 companies with a total of 5 shops that can do Mini AP dyno tuning. As more shops buy the software more locations will be available to get tuning done. This is better then some of the other options that leave you with one tuner in one location to rely on. Both ALta and Cobb are very quick to respond in most cases and are very helpful in terms of fixing issues, answering questions, and providing info.

12. Dwight

Dwight Racing with the Gods
    Lifetime Supporter

Jul 7, 2009
    RETIRED!!
    San Marcos, Calif.
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    DITTO! :Thumbsup: