Rally4 Costa Rica

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by RallyMini370, Oct 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
  2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Have fun Chris..... :arf:

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Time to let the MINI dog hunt. Let her rip Chris, Good Luck. :fingerscrossed:

4. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Good luck Chris

5. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Thanks chaps! the stages look good for the Mini, none of that 8" deep mud bath like last time..LOL I'll be back in CR tomorrow to start the pre-rally check over.

6. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,874 / 10 / -3
    Good Luck!

7. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
  8. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  9. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    Chris is in 2nd place in his division - the event runs this weekend (I think:) )

10. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Sometime google chrome will translate into Spanglish! I'm 2nd in the class and my co-driver 1st. With 2 rallies to go anything can happen.

11. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Chris......

[​IMG]

12. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I can do it! like roll the Mini! LOL [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWJRvg_nVSU"]Vuelco MINI Wilson-Pereira, Rally Solimar 2014 - YouTube[/ame] A missed bump on the road in the notes resulted in me hitting the bump flat out and lauching the rear end in the air breaking the suspension on the rebound sending me off. We are both fine but the dear Mini is pretty much done for this year. Now I'm on the hunt for used body panels. A very sad day for me but the mini will be back!

13. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear you are ok.

Now....Rolls the car , rips off rear wheel , and keeps on going!..Thats racing.

14. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Well Chris I'm very sorry to see that has happened to you. I'm stoked that both you & your co-driver are OK. Easier to fix a car that fix either of you. This is the sucky side of rally.

I was impressed that you took off, I thought you were going to 3 wheel it for the rest of the stage. Adrenalin is something isn't it.

Let us know if there is any way we can help you. Once again, glad you are OK!

15. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    Thanks chaps. [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcjuW9O-yAE"]RALLY SOLIMAR - ACCIDENTE WILSON PEREIRA - YouTube[/ame] in this video you can see if you pause the video the rear suspension bottoms out 3 times sending the Mini off the road. This was a 100mph straight which we did not have that little bump noted. The bump took me by surprise and we would have come out of it ok if the front end did not hit a something hard in the grass. Lucky for us we did not hit the trees. I never noticed the wheel was off!

16. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I posted on wanted a list , if any of you have parts to donate let me know. We have very little cash to rebuild the Mini for the last rally on Nov 23rd. We can still get 2nd in class so we are going for it!

17. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    With a 2nd place in Rally 3 we were fired up for a 1st in rally 4! This rally was back to the real rally roads with no super specials, the stages were the Costa Rica version of Finland being fast. Flowing and filled with yumps! The previous week had seen some pre-rally checks on the Mini with everything running well. As usual Nela’s car was converted to service truck in the early hours of Saturday morning. After a 2 hour drive we arrived at the hotel and I got busy swapping the tyres from road to gravel. Then we joined several other rally teams to perform the recce/notes.
    Many of you will know we run street Subaru STI suspension which is not ideal but works well for the cost but makes our notes complex due to we have to note every bump. The stages were very fast with many crests and jumps which were going to be fun. Once we had the notes done we returned to the hotel to rest…well that was the idea. I just needed to ¾ fill the fuel tank and go take a rest, so I set off in the Mini to the fuel station when all of a sudden the “check engine light” came on with the engine hesitating. I filled up with fuel and headed back to the hotel. The engine was running rough so to cut a very long story short I spent 7 hours working on the Mini swapping parts until finally eliminating the “check engine light” so what was the issue? I think the ground wires were not grounding causing several errors. After a quick dinner I retired to bed.

Sunday I woke at 5am to ready the Mini for Bacherer motorsport’s mechanic Jose to drive the Mini to service as we were not allowed to pass over the stages. The engine fired up with no issues so today was going to be good. For the first time we had a professional tent courtesy of Dunlop. Once the Mini arrived Jose set about cleaning the Mini due to the muddy drive in. All went well as we waited in line for the 1st stage. I was as always a little nervous so took the stage with some caution to avoid a 1st stage “off” .The Mini was flying literally over the stages with a few ooops moments, Even with the ooops moments I felt we were slow. The 2nd stage seemed a little quicker with stage 3 being on the pace! At one point we were 6500 rpm in 5th which was around 110mph! plenty fast enough for us. Haha.
    Stage 4 was the return of stage 1 so I had high hopes of a good result, everything was going well until a 200 meter straight into a 3rd gear left, Nela was on the notes repeating ‘200 L3’ so as I grabbed 5th on the straight we hit a slight bump/dip in the road which we did not note , this bump highlighted the street suspension! The rear end was like a bucking bronco as we bounced down the stage at least 3 times, try as I might to catch the wayward rear end my efforts were useless as the Mini headed off the stage. I was almost sure we had made it until that sudden thud and silence told me this was not going to end well. I remember light then darkness as we flew through the air, at the point I thought dip the clutch so when we land I can go! Lucky for us we flipped 2 times landing on the wheels like a cat! Haha. Once we landed I thought how much time are we losing? I selected 1st and blasted off down the stage unaware I was 1 wheel short! All the spectators were waving at us to pull over….Que? what ? I pulled over and got out the Mini to be horrified to learn I’d just totaled the rear end!
    So what happened on the bump? every time the rear suspension bottomed out the rebound shot the rear end up in the air in another direction which you can see in the photos. I corrected the steering and nearly got away with it if there was not something hard in the grass which flipped the Mini over. Looking at the videos we were very lucky not to have hit the line of trees. Most likely if we had hit the trees I would be typing this in a hospital bed.
    Another factor is the excellent over engineered roll cage and the new to CR rally HANS device neck brace. Well worth the expense. Cars can be fixed people not so easy......never skip the safety equipment.
    After exiting the Mini, the course closing and doctor quickly showed up to make sure we were not injured. All was well with us but the poor mini was not so good. The fuel was leaking the roof damage was quite extensive, all the body parts and wayward wheel were returned by the fans, even some kids were crying as their favorite Mini was not looking so good. After a while Nela went to service in a passing car as I stood by the Mini to make sure nothing went missing.
    Once the stages had finished a flatbed truck showed up to take us out the stage and back to the service area until the rally finished. What followed next was amazing; everyone helped to make sure the Mini made it home, with one guy offering his body shop as the Mini’s new home for the next few weeks. Overall we were very lucky with no injuries and thank fully no visible chassis damage. The aluminium suspension arms just sheared off without bending the mounting points. Now the building begins with the generosity of the Costa Rica rally community and the Motoring Alliance Mini forum we have been able to start the rebuild immediately with the goal to have the Mini back on the road before the last rally
    As always a big thanks to my trusty co-driver Nela, Mo Joe’s, G-Oil, Sicar Muflas, EBC brakes, Automechanix, Dunlop and HUGE thanks to all who have helped us over the past week.

The Mini will return!

Each bounce threw rear end sideways
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Window box?
    [​IMG]
    roll
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ouch
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Broken trailing arm and fuel tank hole.
    [​IMG]
    The repair

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Possible donor roof
    [​IMG]

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    Looks like your panel beaters are doing a fine job for you Chris. :Thumbsup:

19. RallyMini370

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    He's doing a good job but now everyone down there knows i need parts the price of used Mini body panels just went up 150% we got quoted $300 for a used roof panel now its $900!

20. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Perhaps you can source in the USA and fly parts in cheaper, unless the govt. taxes the heck outta parts for the Rally MINI?

Sucks, but keep plugging away. Nice recovery btw. :)