Rant: 1&1 Internet

Discussion in 'Politics and other "Messy" Stuff' started by Nathan, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you have a domain with these people run away. Transfer it away to anyone but 1&1.

I had a group of domain names with a partner for a few years on a project that lost our interest. When the domain's were to be renewed I did the same thing I do with domain's I own that have run their course. I don't renew. I shut off the auto billing for the domain name and just let them die and go back in the available pool.

This group of domain names was registered with 1&1 Internet. Normally I use GoDaddy. While they are not the best or the cheapest they are consistent. This time around we choose 1&1 to try them out.

For years, so long as the auto-billing was on there was nary a problem. They even stopped every month to try and up-sell me after I went on a tirade with the salesman about how they call every month, I don't need what they are selling. I don't want it and that they had better stop.

When the group of domains expired they called, emailed, snail mailed and I think they sent a carrier pigeon to take a dump on my car in the patter of "Renew your domain". I told them, no thanks, cancel them, let them go, I no longer want or need the domains.

Well it seems as 1&1 has their own rules for cancelling domain. I did not follow them completely. I just didn't pay the bill and told them no thanks just like I do with GoDaddy. Today, letters, yes I did make that plural, showed up from a collection agency demanding payment.

I knew there was going to be trouble here when I called billed and one of the options was "Press 2 if you received and letter from our collection agency and have paid the balance". I spoke to a very nice person that really did sound US based that went round and round on the script telling me that I didn't follow the cancellation steps they require and that I cannot cancel by phone when they called to renew. I should have been told that by the person, in fact the call notes say that you were told that in order to cancel you have to do... As she read down this list my blood pressure starting jumping 10 points with each new requirement. Politely, with clenched teeth I asked for a supervisor. Milliseconds later she perked up said hold please and I was off in hold music land for a jsut over 5 min when she came back, informed me the supervisor was on another call and I could leave a voice mail. I thanked her, wished her a Happy New Year and was connected to the supervisors voice mail.

Left a polite message and made sure I made to mention I was a bit miffed at the process. Yes, I did use "a bit miffed" in my message.

I will be surprised to hear back from them.

All this is over 81 bucks and change.

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Maybe we know who walked on your car now. When the pigeon didn't work they sent the walker.

Sorry to hear this is happening.

3. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Do you have a friendly attorney on M/A who would love to comp you a nice short letter of their policy is not enforceable, I am going to sue you and the collection folks.

That gets immediate attention.

Good rant btw...

Don

4. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Oh, and keep careful records of your conversations, dates and notes..... :mad:

5. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Bastidges!