Rear Brake Upgrade

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by bigjas, Mar 21, 2018.

1. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I need to replace my right rear caliper soon, so i am looking at potential upgrade options. I have a late 2006 with the JCW brake package. Since I’m only replacing the rear brakes right now, would the R56 JCW rear calipers and rotors shift the brake bias to the rear too much? Am I better off just looking for regular R56 rear calipers? I put new MINI rear rotors and pads on about 3000 miles ago, and I might have a lead on some used R56 calipers and brackets, The JCW parts would have to be purchased new, unless somebody has a pair for sale.

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    No they will not shift the bias that much.

3. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Dave.

Is the R56 caliper actually different (aside from color and part #) than the JCW caliper? I know the rotor is larger, and I think the bracket is different, but I have not seen anything in person.

4. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    That caliber is the same if I recal but the bracket is a little larger.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info Dave. My lead on the low mileage R56 calipers was a bust. But it sounds like I can get the same setup and save some money by using regular calipers with using the JCW brackets with larger rotors.

6. ALLMAG Dustin

ALLMAG Dustin New Member

May 7, 2018
    Male
    Reverse manufacturing MINI Coopers for parts.
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    If you are still looking for the rear calipers, I can help. I got an R53 w/ the 2nd Gen JCW brake upgrade installed in for parts today. The JCW rear calipers do have a larger carrier like Dave mentioned, and they are nice and red.

7. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I am interested. My brother had a massive heart attack several weeks ago so all projects were tabled. I can’t seem to find the PM feature while using my phone. Please PM me a price shipped to 80911. Depending on the price, I may also be interested in a trailing arm upgrade as well.

Thanks!

8. bigjas

bigjas Member

Sep 3, 2016
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I forgot this site now uses a conversation feature, so you now have a new message.

9. ALLMAG Dustin

ALLMAG Dustin New Member

May 7, 2018
    Male
    Reverse manufacturing MINI Coopers for parts.
    Tampa, FL
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the message - I just sent a reply.

10. dmcgroggan3

dmcgroggan3 New Member

Oct 10, 2015
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    From what I have heard rear calipers are really not worth the upgrade. I thought about it when I went BBK (poor man's JCW) but most were saying to spend the money elsewhere.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

11. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    rear upgrade: brass/stainless guide pin conversion, stainless steel hose, good pads and new rotors. Paint caliper red for extra performance. Done

12. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I did this exact same thing on my first R53... they held up beautifully w/ the 4-pot Wilwoods up front. I ran several track weekends through green, blue and early yellow rungroups and racing slick tires. I had to upgrade to the highest-temp brake fluid I could find, but once I did that, they were bulletproof (and I was probably cooking the fluid in the fronts anyway). I got the 4-pot calipers cheap from a serious track junkie (red run group / instructor) who was upgrading to the Outlaw calipers up front. I got a rebuild kit for the Willwoods and applied a quick coat of flat black BBQ grill (high temp) paint and they were perfect.

I did the Wilwood upgrade for my new R53, front and back, but did the rears more for aesthetics than anything... that and it was a complete package that took care of all of my wants in one pass.