1st Gen R53 Cooper S Recomendation for cheapest recut key

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by johncoops, Mar 15, 2016.

1. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    When I bought my Cooper S last year it only came with one key. I recently ordered 2 new remote blank keys with chip off Ebay and would like to have them lazer cut and programmed. I started calling around to locksmiths in the Atlanta area for estimates and discovered that it won't be cheap to have the new blanks cut and programmed. Cheapest I found so far is $125 per key! I already have the keys. These are all mobile auto locksmiths as this is all that comes up when searching for automotive keys. Does anyone have a cheaper solution?

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    There is no 'cheaper' source. The keys are programmed to the vehicle's VIN.
    You could fill a couple of cruise ships with the people who have bought ebay keys then met the brick wall.
    If folks would ask before acting they would save money and time. Contact your nearest dealer, provide a copy of vehicle registration and proof of ownership and they will get you a key that does what it's supposed to without having to jump thru hoops with a locksmith that doesn't have a clue.

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    100% true ^^^^^

Cheap will not work, remember MINI is just a small BMW.

4. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #4 johncoops, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Oh jeeze! Fill a couple cruise ships?? Lol I didn't even research it because they were so cheap. The build quality appears to be decent with a working remote transmitter. Think I maybe spent $20 for 2 remote keys with chip. Thought this was a no brainer. I have a 2002 MCS so have the old style remote key and thought how nice it would be to upgrade to the newer 05-06 style since it covers both frequencies and has the right chip. Since I bought my Mini, the remote hasn't worked because the micro switches are broken. I went on Ebay in the first place to order the switches (which I ordered, along with a new cover) and noticed the newer style remote for sale also. Thought maybe would spend somewhere around $100 for both keys to be laser cut and programmed. What a hoax! Why even bother selling them then if can't get programmed? Think I know what answer will be but I'll ask anyways... Can I order the newer style remote key from dealer?

5. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    No, not only the key but also the remote electronics were updated at the same time. The old and new style keys are not compatible.

You need to buy the key from a dealer because to start the car, the key must have a smartchip that is pre-coded for your car's VIN. They order it from MINI corporate and it takes a couple of days. For 2002-2004 I believe the dealer needs to program the remote into your car as well. For 2005-2006 there is customer procedure to initialize the remote (but it still needs the pre-coded smartchip for starting the car).

6. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I'm still not understanding why an aftermarket product that contains the correct chip can't be programmed by someone other than the dealer. People get locked out of their cars with security chips all the time and have to call a locksmith. Why is Mini or BMW any different?

7. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    A friend of mine lost the keys to his Rolls and Bentley. Cost of the key for each---$3,800.00 total. Plus programing. And the cars have to be flat bedded to the dealership.

See, it could be worse...:rolleyes:

8. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    The coding for the VIN is BMW proprietary. Same logic should allow my card and PIN numbers access your bank account...and, how are you so sure it's the 'correct chip', because somebody on ebay says it is?

9. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    Not even the dealer can program the chip. If you go to a dealer today, you won't walk out with a working key that starts the car. They have to order the key with precoded chip from MINIUSA headquarters and receive it by FedEx.

10. Red Bull

Red Bull Active Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Plus there are only 10 keys/codes per car, so if you'll have to change the module in the car if can't hold onto your keys.

Make sure you have your registration and license with you when you go to the dealer to order new keys. I know dealers can be hours away for some people and it would suck have made the trip and not be able to order the keys.

11. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #11 johncoops, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    How do I know? I don't, I trust that what they are selling is legit based off the item description and feedback they receive from other like-minded buyers.

Then if it's so proprietary that only Mini or BMW can code it, why does a locksmith even give me a price quote of $125 per key to cut and program it?? Or why does someone even make and sell a key with a 3 button remote (interchangeable frequency between both 315Mhz/433MHz) PCF7935 ID44chip, EWS system??

Sure seems like a lot of trouble to go thru to make and sell something that's bogus for a measly $20. This Ebay seller doesn't have any negative reviews in the last 12 months either. In fact, here's a few quotes from Mini owners who have bought his keys:

Keys are great! Very fast delivery! For Old BMW Mini Cooper EWS Remote Key Fob Keyless 315/433MHZ ID44 CHIP,3 BUTTON

good quality very happy with purchase For Old BMW Mini Cooper EWS Remote Key Fob Keyless 315/433MHZ ID44 CHIP,3 BUTTON

Sure seems like a working product to me! I was merely asking if anyone knows if $125 is the lowest I could pay per key. Obviously I'm not going to get a knowledgeable answer here.

12. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    :lol: please enlighten us when you purchase said key and have it programmed successfully

13. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Grizld700 You got it! I already have the key blanks with remote transmitters AND chip. See pic that's my old key and next to it, the new Ebay one also. There IS a chip in there.

Attached Files:

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Any BMW / MINI shop with a GT1, in theory, can program a key.

15. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #15 johncoops, Mar 16, 2016
    That's what I'm thinking too Nathan. I think it's hogwash that only Mini can program a key or ID44 chip. Here's some supporting info - One can actually buy a BMW key programmer for $59:

AK90 key programmer for all BMW EWS AK90 key maker v3.19

And a little further down the page a guy asks the very question:
    by Alexsander
    Date Added: 11/30/2013
    Q: Can you help me how to use the AK90 key programmer make bmw car keys? A: Firstly, remove the chip of ECU, ESL of your BMW car, insert it to AK90 diagnostic tool, then it will read the date information of your car. Secondly, plug the key into ak90 programming keys, which reads the data information of your car key. Then, the information of your car and your key is matched, then the AK90 key maker will tell what’s next step, so you just following it is ok, step by step, you will get what you want. When making the new keys, you can insert the ECU and ESL to your car, and insert the key; it can start your car then.

I just might buy this programmer and then find someone who only has to laser cut my key. I'll still come out ahead of what Mini charges. Then I can order a bunch of cheap key remotes from Japan and attend MOTD and sell for half of what the dealer charges and make a profit :ihih:

16. Grizld700

Grizld700 Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2016
    Service Advisor at a Toyota Dealer
    Eastern Iowa
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0 / -0
    Test it out and let us know!

17. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    LOL...a sucker is born everyday!!
    THEY DON"T HAVE THE INFO THAT THE DEALER NEEDS TO PROGRAM!
    it is 100% a waste of $$.....I have been on these forums since 2004 when I ordered my MINI...and NEVER has an aftermarket key worked with the EWS, or even an OEM NON-DEALER sourced key....
    lots of false leads...a few folks found the SHELLS could be used to replace beatup old keys, once the EWS chip was moved...
    There were even a few threads on companies that would CLONE the EWS chip onto a key.....those seemed to work about a month.....
    Understand, I am not trying to insult you....
    Not everything is as it appears online....
    just deal with the dealer...show them proof of ownership...can be done by fax from a cheaper distant dealer...and ORDER the keys from the dealer....

FACT the REMOTE entry transmitter MIGHT be a bootleg, oem or "gray market" scourced unit that will work, the key blank might fit, and can be cut...BUT THE EWS CHIP IS 100% the issue....
    READ UP. Then PLAESE return with your hat in your hand....we will forgive you...maybe! :ihih::Thumbsup:

18. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    and just too note....the FREQUENCIES you are quoting are for the KEY-LESS ENTRY!!
    NOT THE EWS CHIP........
    different countries have different rules on the frequencies used...i remember that at one point it looked like Australian keys looked like a good match...but they didn't work....looked the same...were on e-bay.
    And what stops a seller from selling a product to themselves a few times.....the loose 5% or so to make a 100% 5 star rating...then sell a bunch of junk....just saying...buyer beware!!

19. johncoops

johncoops Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Broadcast
    Atlanta, GA
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    #19 johncoops, Mar 16, 2016
    I get your point. I just don't want to pay what the dealer charges. I've bought a crap load of parts for my Mini and not once have I gone thru the dealer. I get that the frequencies are for the wireless keyless entry and NOT for the ID44 chip. I work in Engineering for a communications company and transmit to 20 different satellites. Think I can figure my way around a micro watt transmitter. I'll put the key transmitter to a HP spectrum analyzer and see what frequency it outputs and adjust it if need be.

20. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Thats a new twist..

Not many of us have access to test micro watt transmitters or the knowhow to do so.