Exterior 2nd Gen Removing Chrome Gas Cap R55/R56 Video

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Octaneguy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Just thought I'd post a little video on removing the chrome gas cap on my R55 Clubman S. No it's not hard to do without a video, but until you've done it, it can be a little mysterious.

I also shot a little video on removing the clips on the chrome headlight rings, but I botched my removal so badly, I changed my mind, lol.

Enjoy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDrOyEKgQPU"]YouTube - Removing Chrome Gas Cover from 2010 MINI Clubman S[/ame]

2. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Nice video Richard.:D
    Gas cap paint color?........... So is it going to be painted black or maybe were you thinking of making it the same as the body color (BC=Black)? Ha Ha Ha:D

3. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Haha I used Black Plastic Dip. Too much effort and don't want to spend the money to match the Midnight Black Metallic. :D

Just put a gazillion layers of PlastiDip.

Richard

4. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my gas cap. Did you roughen up the chrome surface to get good adhesion or leave it smooth? And did you bring the PlastiDip around past the outside edge so it wouldn't start peeling? Or just mask the outside edge? If I don't like the look, will I be able to peel off rather easily?

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I opted to not rough it up. If I did, then I might as well use "real" paint for a more permanent solution, lol. I wrapped it around the edges, and just sprayed on a coat every 20 minutes or so throughout the day, and into the next day. I pick it up, look for anything that looks thin, shoot some more.

6. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I did mine with Plastidip about 2 weeks ago. Took me a little while to find the tab on the top.... I was convinced it was the hole in the bottom lol.

Now if I could just get to these door handles i'd be set

7. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    You all my already know this, but here it is anyway. I got a stone chip on my grill which is sprayed with plast-a dip. I took a paint prush, sprayed the tip with the can and applied it to said chip. Two light coats and chip was gone.

Jim