Exterior 1st Gen Removing OEM AERO Rear Bumper Decals........

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by GrAy RaVeN, May 14, 2009.

1. GrAy RaVeN

GrAy RaVeN New Member

My new Aero rear bumper decals arrived in the mail today, so it was now imperative I remove the original rear bumper decals. They were brittle and some edges were missing. Few months ago I originally just PD's sprayed over them because they were not coming off very easy. Now it was time to knuckle under and do it right.

Oddly enough, I found that the best way to remove the OEM aero decals on the rear bumper was same as removing the OEM bonnet stripes - by using a hair dryer to heat them up.....then carefully pulling up a brittle edge and a steady pull across.

I removed the old glue with Goof Off, and cleaned up the rest with canuba wax and a rag. Then prepped the surface for new decals with water and dish washing liquid, then wiping it down with rubbing alcohol.

Decals are honey comb style in Dark Silver with black background. Applicaton of decals took only 5 minutes. Applied using wet method.

IMG_0540_edited.jpg IMG_0541_edited.jpg

2. bartski

bartski New Member

May 13, 2009
    Graphic Design
    Upstate, SC
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    a heat gun makes all the difference in removing vinyl. A basic one is around 25 bucks.

Good job on the install!

3. GrAy RaVeN

GrAy RaVeN New Member

If I used a heat gun..... I would probably end up melting the bumper..lol.