Removing tint....

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by KittyMini, Apr 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Ok, so I want to remove the tint from my headlights.....

What's the best way to do this?
    Heatgun?

Thanks.

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    This might not help you 'cause the headlights are plastic, but I was able to take the tint off my windows with masking tape, trashbags, and Simple Green. Spray it with Simple Green, and use masking tape to cover up the tint with the thin garbage bag material. Then let it sit in the sun for an hour, and you can peel it off in one big sheet. A razor blade and some camping fuel (aka white gas) can help you remove the last of the adhesive.

3. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    It depends on the material thickness and manufacture/supplier of the vinyl. In my past business when we have had a customers want a redo on the head light or other places it is a careful use of a heat gun to start an edge and than carefully pull it down and away. The head light is designed to take heat as long as you apply it evenly. Keep your hand on the part you are apply the heat to. If you can not stand the heat with your hand then it is to hot for the headlight. If it is old vinyl than patients is a must. It will crack and break at every mm. Do not use any caustic chemicals around the plastic or painted surfaces without first checking in an area that will not ever be seen if it is safe to use. Most chemicals will have a bad effect on plastic.

4. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    A heat gun will work, but so will a hairdryer. It is safer, and should be all the heat you need to liven the adhesive. Spraying with WD40 on the edge you are pulling up will also help, and won't hurt anything.

Mark

5. Lyle@VinylStyles

Lyle@VinylStyles New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Bay Area, CA
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Noooooooooo!! heehe.

Yeah, a heat gun/hair dryer will do the trick.

Unmodding?

6. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Most heat gun at least have a low and high setting and a designed air flow nose for this type of work.Some of the better heat guns have adapters for controlling the air flow from wide to narrow as well as a multiple heat settings with consistent reliable air temperature flow.
    A note about using WD40 if you plan on a re vinyl lubricants will make the new application much harder to adhere. Lubricants tend to remain in the work and are not easy to wash clean.

Can't remember the last time my Snap on or Mack tool guy showing me the latest Revlon Hair drier to use in my work? :lol:

Thats what I thought but maybe doing a new vinyl look and calling you as I post? :cornut:

7. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Just the headlights..... they were a bit dangerous at night they were so dull :prrr:

But they looked good :D

The heat gun worked perfectly.

8. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Great:cornut:

Mark

9. Wikedmini

Wikedmini MINI of the Month - December 2009

Aug 17, 2009
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    pull..

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. I replaced my old pitted film with new ones

10. KittyMini

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Oh, the heat gun was awesome..... just pealed right off and didn't have to remove the headlights from the car, either :Thumbsup: