2nd Gen R56 Cooper Replacement Shocks - Opinion/Experiences?

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by jtbrown, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Western NJ
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hello folks,

So I'm starting to research a bit for replacing/upgrading the shocks in my 2010 Cooper hardtop. I don't do track days or autocross... just use the car as my daily driver, with spirited weekend driving as time allows. I've no plans on lowering the car, and have no plans on going the coilover route. I need something that is comfortable for daily use but will stand up to the occasional vigorous twisty road.

Looking around through a couple of sites, I seem to be coming up with the same options:

OEM MINI replacements

Bilstein HD Sport Shocks

Koni 'Yellow' Adjustables

Koni FSD Shocks

Anyone care to share their experiences/recomendations with any of these? Know of any other options I'm missing?

Also, anyone know of a decent shop in the Mercer County, NJ area you'd trust with an install like this? I know of one, but they're a little bit of a drive, so looking to see if anyone knows and trusts someone closer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I'd trust Helix in Philly with the install. I think that would be the closest one to you that I'd feel the most comfortable with.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Western NJ
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    That is the one that I know, Nathan, and I've used them before. Figured I'd see if anyone else comes up with someone closer since options are usually a good thing.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

4. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    I could use this information also. I need to find a balance between driving the Dragon and my wife yelling at me because the ride is too hard. is this possible? :)

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I have Koni yellows with Eibach springs. The Kino yellows are purity stiff. Even at the lightest setting. You hay want to use the Bilstiens but I have never used them. Also you may want to consider some progressive springs.

6. DneprDave

DneprDave Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Engineer
    Pacific NW
    Ratings:
    +1,721 / 0 / -0
    I think adjustable Konis would be a good choice, you can rebuild them when they wear out. I'll get some when the OEM shock wear out.

My stock suspensioned MINI can go around corners faster than I can, so I'm in no hurry to do any suspension mods.

7. jtbrown

jtbrown New Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Western NJ
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I've been of a similar thought... haven't considered making any changes as I've been mostly happy with what the current suspension does. While it was being serviced today, the SA did note that it was the beginning of the end for the front shocks - I have time, and they're still safe and functioning, but the OEM front shocks are nearing the end of that 'safe and functioning' period. Knowing what they'll charge for replacing with OEM, I figured it was a good time to price out options and see if there's a better option available.

8. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Don't get me wrong I LOVE my Koni's but it sounded like you did not want to give up ride quality. It's nice to be able to adjust them. When I go to the Dragon I stiffen them up it does make big difference but it is harsh. You may want to consider a good rear swaybar. That will improve the handling with out giving up ride quality.
    I know you just want struts but it always starts this way. First you do some little Mod and then you have to do another Mod before you know you are addicted! Please make it easy on yourself and embrace the the addiction, your among friends.:D

I'm just trying to help.

Oh don't worry about the wife not liking the ride shell be fine. My wife just hangs on for dear life when she rides in the Mini.:arf:

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    If you are not lowering the car I would recommend FSD's and I would have Helix do the work. Stopped by there today.... A great company!

10. Mr. Jim

Mr. Jim Mudshark
    Lifetime Supporter

May 22, 2010
    North Carolina
    Ratings:
    +1,221 / 0 / -0

I'm in the process of fitting the Bilstein's now, replacing some high mileage JCW on my 06. They are stiff but not jarring so far. Only have the backs on now, front struts later in the week.

The only place in Jersey I can recommend is Don's Jaguar in Flemington, the owner George is a long time friend and does all sorts of British cars from classic to new.

11. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    #11 wmwny, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
    My '06 MCSa [I bought it new] has been lowered [TSW] and modded for daily driving, the Dragon and other twisties, as well as weekend track use. It still has OEM shocks, although I had to replace 2 a few years back with some used OEM freebies given to me by a fellow M/A member. They work fine and the car has over 107k.

12. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Koni yellows here.....replaced wornout FSD's and the wife likes them better

13. Motoring Magic

Motoring Magic New Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Dec 13, 2009
    Motoring Magic Owner, Ventura County's ONLY MINI s
    Thousand Oaks, Vta cty, socal
    Ratings:
    +266 / 0 / -0
    FSDFSDFSD=these were made for exactly what you describe!

14. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    FSDFSDFSD = ???????

15. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    Koni FSD x3. He's leaving one stock :D

The Koni FSD looks to be a great shock but only for stock ride height. The auto adjusting function relys on a certain starting position.

I just helped a buddy put on the Bilsteins and he loves them. He said his girl freind likes the ride better. I have had the Koni yellows in the past and really liked them.

16. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    My experience was good with Koni FSD on my R52. It takes the edge off of small bumps but is stiffer than stock under steady load (reduces lean on turns and pitch during braking). Overall, improves both ride and performance (on the street, can't speak for the track).

I had them for 70K miles but the ride was getting more harsh around 60K and I think they were starting to wear out. I believe I could have had them replaced under the Koni lifetime warranty but from what I've heard it's a big hassle (you have to send them the old set and the process takes weeks).