Restore your leather steering wheel

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by buttonbag, Jun 3, 2013.

1. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
  2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Interesting - I'd never thought about doing that - so I haven't personally.

While it looks like it worked VERY WELL for the folks in that thread, I'd suggest a bit of caution - the Magic Eraser and similar products are very fine abrasives - like very fine grit wet sandpaper. That's how they work. So while they will indeed remove the top layer of grunge off your leather, they'll also remove any top layer of urethane sealer that may have been put there on purpose... and they'll also remove the top layer of leather.

I'm not saying "don't do this"... I'm just saying be aware of what you're doing before you do it. I personally would probably try this myself if I had a crappy feeling steering wheel that I had been unable to get back to feeling like "leather" any other way. But I would NEVER use the Magic Eraser on a leather seating surface, etc. Fast way to screw up good leather.

I don't know if the plain-ole OEM MINI wheels are urethane coated or not - they kinda feel like it. So I'm not sure what you'll end up with when you "sand" them....

3. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    A very insightful response. I think you've convinced me to try it myself. My main priority is to regain some grip to the steering wheel to avoid unnecessary accidents.

I will report back after trying this possibly near the end of the week.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Both hands on the wheel eliminates slipping hands. :wink:

I refinished an aftermarket wheel I found in a boneyard for my MG. Can't remember who offered the kit, but it worked very well.

Good luck on your project.

5. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    To me, this is like blasting carpeted mats with the high-pressure hose at coin-op washes... If the mats are so screwed up that you are considering throwing 'em away and buying new ones, what can it hurt? If it cleans up your wheel and you get a few more years out of it before refinishing/recovering is needed, why not?

I might suggest attempting this in 2 or 3 stages over several days. Try a gentle cleaning all over the wheel on day 1, doing less rubbing than you think is necessary to do the job. Then dry the wheel carefully and let it sit overnight to get thoroughly dry. Assess your work the next morning and try again on day 2, again stopping short of where you think you might need to be. Repeat as needed. This might prevent you from excess abrasion of the leather's outer surfaces. Like wet sanding a finish, you want to do JUST enough sanding to get the desired result and no more. The more you sand, the more you risk sanding through the finish.

Once you get to a happy point, I might recommend a good leather specific treatment like Zaino's leather (my favorite, but expensive and you have to order online) or any leather specific treatment you can find locally. The 303 is a generic protectant and won't have the moisturizers that a natural product like leather will need.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I have been very happy with the results of a couple of leather cleaners.....even on a very grungy looking wheel.

Have you tried any of the leather cleaners yet?

7. mrntd

mrntd Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2011
    Male
    Sales and Marketing manager
    Hilliard, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +1,763 / 0 / -0
    If the wheel is coated a leather cleaner won't be as good as good old 409. I'll give this a try on in a small spot on Julie's wheel next week.

8. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I haven't tried that yet and I almost did yesterday but I held off hoping to see if I get more feedback on here. Also, if you have any brands you'd recommend, I'd be open to suggestions.

9. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Being an old soldier, you can't hardly beat saddle soap to remove the grunge and help restore the leather. Several soap sessions and after thoroughly drying, a rub down with a very small amount of mink oil. Old soldier method and not the 'new wave' answer but very effective.:Thumbsup:

Jason

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I am currently using the Zaino leather cleaner/conditioner (Z9 and Z10) and really like it.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I use Windex or alcohol to clean off ALL oil then condition the wheel with leather stuff.

12. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: DaveO, just asking. You haven't found the alcohol to be too drying on the leather?:Thumbsup:

Jason

13. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I thought Dave only used windex in the meth tank......................:wink:

14. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Oh Jeeeez here we go ....:devil::lol::lol::lol::lol:

15. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    The conditioner cleans too. At least the stuff I got from Griots does.

16. buttonbag

buttonbag Active Member

Apr 5, 2013
    Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    I would say it's pretty good. I wouldn't say my steering wheel looks brand new, but it definitely took the shiny plastic look away. I'm waiting to see the effects after a few days. I might still want to add leather conditioner.

Here are the results:

Attached Files:

17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Careful when you put a conditioner on there. Some are quite slippery and well... Nothing like going into a corner and having your hands slide off the wheel.

18. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    That's OK as long as you armor all your brake peddle at the same time. :lol:

19. Dave.0

Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Not as long as you condition the wheel right after clean it you won't have a problem. I also have a JCW Alcantara wheel so only the 9 & 3 positions need cleaning.

:Thumbsup: