Return Lease or Buy It Out??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wzabrouski, Aug 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    The lease on my dark silver 06 MCSa w/55k is coming to an end in September. I am contemplating buying it out but at times have considered returning it. I would have to spend some time to get it back to the point where the dealer would even take it back. If I did want to get something different, and a little bigger with a second child on he way, I think I am better off buying it out and try to sell it privately. Any opinions? Here is a current list of mods.

Magnaflow exhaust
    RMW street cam
    17% WMW pulley
    RMW Tune
    450 Injectors
    DDM Intake
    TSW Engine Damper
    Powerflex Tranny Bushings
    DDM Air Diverter
    Prosport oil pressure and boost gauges
    Innovate Motorsports A/F Gauge
    M7 oil catch can
    JCW Springs with stock shocks
    19mm rear sway bar with polybushings
    TSW front and rear endlinks
    Meagan lower rear control arms
    M7 stress bar
    M7 understrut system
    Mason Engineering front lower stress bar
    TSW front and rear rotors with porterfield front and EBC green pads
    Brand new 215/45 Bridgestone RE 760 Sports

There is more, but this will give you a good idea. Texas purchased car, mostly all highway miles, daily driven.

Thanks, Walter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    Would you have to pay for overage on miles?

I think (depending on the buyout amount) that you might be better off selling it yourself, rather than spending the time and money to return it to stock so that you could turn it in at lease end. Looking at the mods you did, they all pretty much are bolt-ons, so it is reversible but you really never intended to return it, did you? Otherwise why do all those mods on a leased car? Can you do all the work yourself so you don't have to invest in a lot of expensive labor?

If you need something bigger and buy a Clubby or a Countryman, few of those mods will transfer over so not only are you doing all the work, then you've got to sell all the parts.

I think I'd look very carefully at what cars like yours are selling for in this market, then decide which way this all makes sense. Are heavily modded cars like yours easy to sell in your market area?

3. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I would be right on with mileage. I am most likely going to keep it but the functionality with a second child on the way is questionable. I could do mostly all of the work myself if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    you will probably make the most

by buying out, stripping to stock as best you can, selling the mods, and selling the car. Modded cars don't net you as much as selling the mods separatly. But it's work to do.

Matt