Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Return Style Fuel System

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by KC Jr 54, Aug 19, 2010.

Tags:
  1. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I know there are a few people have done this, and the fuel rail part seems pretty easy. I am running into "creative block" on the fuel pump/filter housing and how maybe more experienced people went about this.

Why am i doing this ? No real reason, but there really is not anything bad about a return fuel system.

I love pictures, so if you have them, share them please.

Nitro....feel free to share ;) lol

2. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Yep, Nitro is the guy to talk to :cornut: He will be hangin at my house this weekend, hopefully I can get some secrets from him :lol: Can't wait until we can get him to move here. His garage will be my second home :arf:

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don at DMH motorsports in NY did it as well.

he used to be on NAM till he threw in the towel on the whole internet forum thing. But he's still doing stuff like that. There are a couple more as well, but I don't remember right now...

Matt

4. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Never even heard of DMH, searched them, and greeted with a lost diamond. The pricing on a non-dead head is way high for my tastes, but i was completely unaware of their offerings. They have dog-engagement gears !!!! :arf:

Thanks Dr.O, hopefully someone with be able to post up with some "top-secret" photos.

5. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    I've done it on my car, it's NOT going to be cheap but what ever is? You don't need it unless you plan on going for very big hp

6. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don is an interesting guy

He was on NAM for a while, but didn't like how the internet forum world worked, especially with the hotly debated MINI market. And no, he's not at the cheap end of the spectrum either. But it's always good to know about more options.

Matt

7. beaner

beaner New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    you could also call Tim Marren, Marren Fuel Injection. he used to build, prep the RSR MINI's. Grand Am doesn't allow this mod, but Tim knows MINIs and fuel systems!

8. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I saw Marrens offerings already, and he still does sell the fuel-rail kit, for ~$175. Problem is, it doesnt work under the stock I/C....

And Dr.O, thats exactly it, i really dont have huge plans for the car, but i always like to dream/know what i could do to this stupid car if i were to hit the lottery.

I know the return style is not "needed" but there are some claims out there related to other platforms that i would like to see if they carried over to us.

9. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    this is where you are wrong...........all the RSR cars have return systems on them. Grand AM has never cared about modifying the fuel systems as you have to add race tanks anyways

10. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Not necessary to run a return from the front of the car off the fuel rail. I, and other racers and done the return right from the aftermarket regulators.

[​IMG]

11. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Well i personally envision the FPR to be under hood, for no real reason other then thats how i have always seen it.

What size -an did you use on yours onasled?

12. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Used a 6 but would re-do it in an 8.
    Yea, I would say that 90% of the regs I have seen are under the hood, but that was also for ease of reading the reg fuel pressure via dial I think.

13. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I think you are correct, and honestly thats why i would put it under-hood as well.

Just so i am clear though, your fuel rail is still a "dead-head", but as a "whole system" you are return style ? Things i have read/seen, is that the real benefit comes from the return-line coming off of the fuel rail itself.

14. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    To those of you that know this better than I how about explaining what a return style fuel system is along with the pros and cons of using such a system not forgetting why one might want or need such a mod for a MINI please.

15. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    The Mini has a "dead-head" fuel system; meaning there is one fuel line leaving the fuel tank and not one returning. With this, the fuel-rail is the same.

A return-style fuel style, as i have really come to know it, has a fuel rail w/ a line going in, and one going out. With the stock set-up the fuel line goes through the FPR first, then the fuel rail. Generally with the return style, the fuel goes through the fuel rail, and THEN the FPR, then any un-used fuel gets returned to the tank.

Pros: cooler fuel, and much more steady delivery of fuel to the injectors. Also, on some platforms, it is said it lengthens the life of the fuel pump. I dont think this would carry over to the MINI as doesnt seem to have issues with the pump.

Cons: cost.

Thats how i understand it to be, but am welcome to be corrected.

16. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You do not need increased power levels to take advantage of a live fuel rail. A misconception from some. It is easy to do not complicated another misconception from some.

The easiest is to remove the valve at the end of the stock fuel rail and weld an AN fitting. A simple line to the rear of the MINI and tie into the fuel overflow at the filler pipe. Clean and simple. You can add regulators and better quality fuel lines if you want.

The trick is to add an augmentation fuel pump to supplement the stock which is rated very low for higher demand engines as per manufacturing specification.

There is NO cons to doing this what so ever.

Beyond this you can pm me because I have already tried to help with this in the past and some people fight physic's in our known universe. So debating again about this does not interest me. It is a good worthwhile project you should consider doing.

17. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    Fuel rail with welded stainless AN fitting at both ends.

[​IMG]

18. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

May 16, 2010
    Ratings:
    +382 / 0 / -0
    Larry,
    You can eat popcorn til the cows come home........there are many engineers and people who do this for a living, get paid 10x what we make in a year and have many good reasons why a dead head works and works well. Now for sizing of the pump is one thing but most of these people don't even understand gas boils at 95deg F..................... yes fahrenheit............:beer

Most fuel contains alcohol which is even more volitile than gas. pressurizing and depressurizing fuel heats it and causes it to evaporate which lowers octane even more. There is a reason these engineers do what they do........

19. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    OK, folks. The usual off topic chatter and friendly instigating, provoking and encouraging have been deleted. Let's keep it on topic and thanks for letting me earn my MA swag.

20. Newbs49

Newbs49 New Member

May 23, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    How about ideas to keep the fuel rail cool. I've thought about ac line tape to help cool the fuel. Anyone got ideas?