Hillbilly Review of Sensen Front and Rear Shocks and Struts

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by HillbillyChili, May 26, 2018.

1. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    #1 HillbillyChili, May 26, 2018
    Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Hey Everyone,

Figured as I am going through and replacing parts I might as well do some reviews on the parts that I am using. Most of mine will be budget parts as I am not looking to put a ton of money into this 14 year old vehicle. So this will be the first installment of my reviews.

I ordered the full set of Sensen Shocks and Struts off of ebay for $160. Link is below:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sensen-Front-Rear-Shocks-Struts-for-02-06-Mini-Cooper-Lifetime-Warranty/152454332678?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

First off, shipping was quick and everything arrived undamaged. Right and left struts were labelled clearly.

One positive thing to mention on these is that there is a LIFETIME warranty on these, so if you blow one out you can return it for a new one. Obviously a hassle that you have to send back a bad one before they send you a new one so hopefully you have a backup vehicle that you can use for a week or so.

I took the old struts completely out to replace these, broke off the pinch bolt on the drivers side because I didn't heat it up hot enough before trying to take it out, should've known better. The new struts came with new top nuts but they were a different size than the OEM. They do not come with new bumpstops or bushings so you will need to reuse the old ones.

During install some grease on the bottom of the front struts helped slide them into place, also had to break out the BFH to vibrate it into place since the new struts didn't fit in perfectly.

Ease of install: Intermediate had to remove entire strut assembly, would go easier with a helper to push down springs
    Time for install: 2 hours (4 beers) if everything goes correctly, 4 hours (6 beers, 6 choice curse words) if you break off the pinch bolts
    Ride quality: Better than it was with 2 blown shocks but not as good as a ride with OEM shocks that all are in working condition. Also better than riding in my lifted Cherokee.

Let me know what you guys think of this type of review, am I missing anything or would you like other questions answered? I am planning on doing more of these so feedback is appreciated to make them better.

32498347_1928268837245028_3614025635950755840_o.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice review! I even like that it was budget parts in the review. The only thing is you used beer, this is probably the cause of you breaking the pinch bolt. I find Rum works much better then beer. Its faster and you tend to not care as much when things go wrong. Just be careful I do remember when I was in my 20's I applied to much rum and woke up the next morning to find all the paint from the windshield forward gone. It seem the rum told me to repaint my 69 Mustang.:D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Rats..they are now out of stock!

4. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Bahahaha, you just have to trust in the rum! The rum knows best! I know right after I snapped that bolt I threw the breaker bar so hard it cut right through the extension cord to my light. I know right, great aim dummy, so I had one more thing to fix.

I found the same ones on Amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Front-Rear-Struts-02-06-Cooper/dp/B075MQQHKN/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527355848&vehicle=2004-32-218-1--17-6-5-4825-111-1-1-2648--2-0&sr=1-3&ymm=2004%3Amini%3Acooper&refinements=p_89%3ASensen+Shocks+%26+Struts

Again, they the fronts take some persuasion to get into the steering knuckle but once they are in they work pretty well. Probably won't match bilsteins but for half the price they work fine for my street driving uses.

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice through! Tool revenge!

6. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Nice review and Thanks for posting the review. Funny, I'm working on the new "Market" which will also have a section for product reviews... :D

7. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,790 / 10 / -0
    Thanks for the new info on where to get these, as well as the great install review!

8. Goldsmithy

Goldsmithy MINI Alliance Ambassador
    Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Male
    TCB
    Main Street in the land of Oz
    Ratings:
    +1,151 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the information. If more people do this it will be easier to separate the bargains from the crap...

9. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I'm not above ordering cheap parts, I read the reviews first but that's all I ever bought for any car I've owned before this money pit.

Depending on how often they blow out, that may be a good or bad thing.

Do bumpstop's or bushings really need to be replaced if they don't show obvious wear/damage? I got all I thought would be needed/what the Bentley mentioned and now that I think of it, I think I coulda left some parts out of my order.

That grease is a smart idea, n'er even thunk of that before and I've changed A LOT of struts. I'll be swapping out my struts this weekend too.

I dig it. We should all offer some reviews on parts we've had over the years, help out the Newbies.

10. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Looking forward to seeing that section up and running!

I didn't replace mine for cost-savings reasons and they were is decent condition, I read a lot into the PowerFlex bushings and they seem like they would work well but are kind of expensive at first. Although they would probably last the life of the car. Looking forward to doing more of these.

11. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Yea me to.. was planning on working on it this past weekend.. till the hosting company told me they were doing a datacenter move and not to make changes.. :(

12. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    Not to hijack this thread, but allow me to share my test experience & warning w/ another hobo Chinese strut brand, Stagg.
    Initially, I was awed by how much comfier these rode than stock, but after 3k miles, I noticed my front camber on both front wheels were off. The driver side had an exaggerated negative. I had stock replacement Lemforder strutmounts which looked perfectly fine, no cracks, no mushrooming & both in uniformly good condition. I recalled no major pothole incident either. Steering remained centered w/ no pulling. Toe remained good, I guess.
    Note the camber difference...
    [​IMG]
    My suspicion was some gradual bending on the front strut body happened, so I dug. Removing the driver side from the knuckle was a struggle. I reckoned some tube deformation may have caused the sticking. True enough, the strut tube bent by the knuckle causing way more negative camber on the driver side.
    This looked hammered when it was not....
    [​IMG]
    The passenger side wasn't as bad. Pulling it off took half the driver side time.
    Weighed the old stock & Staggs by hand....the latter lighter. Tapped both strut tubes....Stock ones sounded more solid, thicker.
    Conclusion? Lesson learned.... Got what I paid for....I honestly hope the Sensens are built as tough as stock ones. Stay away from Stagg.
    Currently, I'm temporarily making do w/ the old stocks. Camber is back to normal, ride back to crappy.....Might go Special Active when moolah allows.:)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. HillbillyChili

Jun 14, 2017
    Software
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Dang, I will have to keep an eye out for that then on these Sensen Shocks, I did drive it to Iowa and back from Ohio so next time I have the wheels off I may check that out. Ride was still good, although I still need an alignment after I changed those and my strut tower mounts. Waiting till after I put on my UTIs and poly control arm bushings.

Thanks for adding the review, now if anyone is doing research they can compare and know they should definitely not get the Staggs.

14. minsanity

minsanity Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    I didn't even need to take my SPC magnetic camber gauge out to notice. That was how off they became that soon.
    Let's keep fingers crossed on Sensen.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

15. Sully

Sully Administrator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Agreed - great info / review @minsanity thanks for posting.