Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Reworked M45?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Professor, Nov 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    So I have an extra supecharger on hand, it is an early one without coater rotors. It also has over 100,000 miles on it but has great gears, no shavings were in it when drained.

What can be done? I know with the miles I will need new bearings installed. I would think coating the rotors and porting the exit would be fitting.

Also I cant seem to get the rotor pack out. it will walk out of the case abour 1/2 inch and stop.

2. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    You have to press the rotor pack out of case. Pull the rotor pack gears and whack away with mallet.

Jeremy

3. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Hrmm, I assume if I send it out to be coated they would do that work for me. After some reading it seems that porting does not help much on the Mini but rather a fresh set of bearings and coated rotors would help more... or wrong?

4. jhiggs26

jhiggs26 New Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Yes they would do the work for you if they are replacing the rotor pack bearings and coating the rotors. The last time I checked the rear needle bearings were still on back order, so you may want to wait until somebody has them in stock before sending it out just yet.

Jeremy

5. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    yea id say so.

6. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The "aftermarket" coatings are more of a black Teflon paint....a bit different than the OEM coating which is as much an insulator to prevent heat transfer, as it is to help tighten up clearances....Since a SC spins at such high rpm's, you might want to let a machine shop do the work...the clearances are much closer to aerospace linits than typical automotive limits....so IMO it is a bit beyond what nost DIY's can do quality wise.
    Getting the rotors "timed" and in sequence when you re-assemble is said to be a pain...and needs a bit of skill and experience. Good luck, just be prepared to learn by trial and error....
    So it might not be worth paying much $$ to get them Coated....
    IF you really want the benefits of the coating, just buy a used SC with the coating, or get one from MINI...all the ones they sell, new/rebuilt are now coated.

7. Professor

Professor New Member

May 4, 2009
    BMW / MINI tech
    Kentucky
    Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    All the remans are not coated. I just installed one on a customer car recently and it was not coated, it was for an 04 however. The other one I have in stock is not coated either.

8. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Hm....I have a buddy that works at parts counter at Penske owned Mini dealer...said all the remans the dealer sells are now coated...a while back mini combined the part #'s for the coated (MY2005+) and the uncoated (up to MY2005).
    Maybe there is still some of the old SKU/Part # floating around, or it was not a Mini rebuild? Not sure how long ago this change was made...but the part #'s are the same as of a few weeks ago....and they have been through a few...all have been coated, and according to his info, they all are now.

I'm not too overly concerned...I got my "spare" SC from a 3rd part, just as he did, both slightly used for much less....he had to install his on his 03 though...mine is still waiting...hopefully it will there for a long time!

9. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
  10. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Good luck.....
    At least one vendor here once installed them (up in Atlanta), but had a string of failures, and had to eat too much labor to warranty them....they do have a good warranty, but it appears they may take a few shorts, that in a worst case situation, may cause an early failure. The quality of the product from that one company is something that WMW and Autoxcooper Both agreed on!! If you know them, you will know they don't care for eachother, and tend to disagree on everything!!
    I personally have no experience with them...some folks have had good luck...and the price is right, but the SC is such a pain to swap out...a few extra $$ might be worthwhile!!

11. Alan

Alan Active Member

May 6, 2009
    retired
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    Two DE weekends so far.......

12. ZippyNH

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    No worries....they are not that bad!! Didn't mean to scare you. Just be aware of it!:Thumbsup:
    I wish you the best of luck...I think you will more than likely be fine....their prices are pretty good..I might have chanced it myself if I hadn't gotten such a good deal on my spare SC! IF they were really bad...I'm sure they would not be in business! Just like any product, there are different levels of reliability, often reflected in the prices...look at rebuilt alternators...often they will give you the choice of standard or "upgraded" internals...or the more $$ ones have been tested more thoroughly or had more items replaced.
    (There was a discussion on here about the company you used...it may have lost a bunch of posts in a data loss event a many months ago...nothing major...it happens with computers!!).