Road Tar

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Justa Jim, Oct 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Well, I just spent the last hour removing the road tar from the passanger side of my car. PennDot is the only outfit I have seen that can leave a road worse then it was before they tried to fix it. :mad5:

What do you OCD folks recommend for this type clean up?

Jim

2. Tron Chief

Tron Chief "Need More Coffee"
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 18, 2010
    Maintenance Supervisor Del Monte, retired 30 year
    Lemoore California
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    When I use to own an RV we used WD-40 to clean off road tar as it does not harm the paint and breaks down the tar very nicely.

3. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, I did not know WD-40 would work for that and I have some. :Thumbsup:

Jim

4. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0

Exactly. Works great for cleaning tar. Have even used a little gasoline on a rag, and believe it or not, I know some folks that have used peanut butter.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    WD40 or kerosene. I do not like the bug tar remover products as most seem to contain an abrasive.

6. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    What's up with tar today?
    I was out in the company truck today picking up a load of steel. On the way back, a guy in a pickup is towing one of those "Tar Pots" that roofers use. A big holding tank contraption with a built in burner for heat and a pump to move the liquid tar up to the rooftop. He pull right in front of me on the freeway, so I slowed down a little so I could safely pass. Then I notice a fine spray of black tar starting to coat the windshield.... OK, I say to myself, don't hit the wipers, just don't. The cab on my truck is white. Well it was white. When I got back to the shop, I got out a 5 gal container of kerosine and went over all the glass on the windshield and paint on the cab and bumper. It took about 1-1/2 hours to get it all off. Then followed it all with windex. Didn't think of the WD-40, but I had enough Kerosine.

Strange day for tar apparently.

7. old81

old81 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Used to work making computers run fast!
    Louisville, Colorado
    Ratings:
    +1,731 / 5 / -0
    Get some Hyrdo on that paint or at least some good soft wax. You don't have anything on the White! :eek6:

8. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    :Thumbsup: on the WD 40
    :Thumbsup: on a good coat of wax, if you don't have it already, to make it easier next time

WD40 I believe takes off everything down to the clear coat except the WD40 residue

9. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    The bugaboo around here is the crack patching done on the highway surfaces and city streets. The crews inject what appears to be a very liquid form of tar into the cracks, then overlay it with a coating of very fine gravel or what appears to be some sort of thin paper. The gravel probably helps give the repair some strength, but the paper is clearly just a lame attempt to keep the tar off the vehicles.

More often than not, when I'm washing the boot I run across a couple dozen or more tiny pinhead-sized black spots. Evidently the road tar atomizes a bit when the tires pass over it and the micro-drops get caught in the burble of air behind the MINI. The little bastards are an absolute bear to get off (soapy water and a microfiber just transforms a black dot into a brown smear). The good news with PW body color is that the tar spots show up well against the paint -- easy to find when detailing. Of course, the bad news is that the tar spots show up well against the paint -- easy to find when not detailing... :mad:

10. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've used WD-40 for several years but recently I found some tar remover while at Advance Auto that works great. "Surf City Garage...Road Tar Grime Destroyer" It's a spray on gel that disolves the tar spots in about 30 seconds and then you just wash it off. Just another option.:idea:

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Must have been a tar day or sure. I did put hydro on the passanger side as I noticed that the wax was gone when I rinsed. :Thumbsup:

Jim

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Prima CosmoNot works fantastic. Did a lot of this cleanup at MITM 2010.
    ShowCarSupplies.com Shopping Cart - CosmoNot

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0