Road trip CT - FL

Discussion in 'MINI' started by kconner5, Feb 8, 2012.

Tags:
  1. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Hi all!

I'm taking my Countryman to Florida and back home to Connecticut this coming week.

I would like to avoid as much highway as possible and stop off at some nice places. On the way down I'd like to put on an aftermarket exhaust and intake for my CM S ALL4

Any suggestions of a great shop and great roads and places to stop?

Kyle

2. Friskie

Friskie Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Highly motivated retiree
    In the here and now, for now.
    Ratings:
    +1,339 / 0 / -0
    #2 Friskie, Feb 8, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    Go to Google Earth, click directions then key in your starting point then destination and click the little magnifying glass. At the top of the direction list find and click 'Printable view'. Click 'Show options' and select 'Avoid highways' and 'Avoid tolls'. It will recalculate the route off onto the blue highways. You can then zoom in on the map to click and drag portions of the route if you find a side road that looks more interesting.

Also: Some must have websites for your MINI favorites folder are..
    Great Motorcycle Roads in the US

And to keep your check engine light from showing it's ugly face because of questionable fuel..
    Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada and
    Top Tier Gasoline

Have a great trip!

3. ronnie948

ronnie948 New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Retired
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    If you are not in any real hurry

Take route 13 south in Delaware and it will put you over the Bridge tunnels into Norfolk Virginia. Then just go South on Route 17 to Georgia or all the way to Florida.

Now this is not the Interstate but you will see a lot of Eastern America. The Bridge and two tunnels do have a rest stop so be sure to stop and get a cup of coffee or eat. I think the fee is around $10,00 or @12,00 unless they only charge one way like the tolls on I-95.

At least you won't have to fight the traffic in Washington and the I-95 nightmere from Washington to Richmond.

Just take your time and enjoy the drive. You can punch in your GPS stuff you may want to sidetrack and see.

:beer

4. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Call Way Motor Works 1-317-201-8670 ahead of time, stop by his shop on the way down and get your mods done. He's a sponsor on here, many can vouch for his work on here.
    Address:‎
    3115 Marjan Dr
    Atlanta, GA 30340

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I'd recommend stopping to see the fine folks at Helix. They can fix you up & most all of your drive would be with some sweet new mods. I recommend them.

Helix Motorsports

6. kconner5

kconner5 New Member

May 23, 2011
    Works at MINI of Fairfield County
    New Canaan, CT - High Point, NC (College, High Poi
    Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the great suggestions! It's nice having a week to just go wherever I want... I love vacation :)

I have talked to WMW and I'm having an exhaust and some other stuff done by him while I spend some time in Atlanta! :)

Kyle