2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Rough Idle/No Power

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by itsmewutup, Aug 20, 2012.

1. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    So last week I put low grade (87) gas in without even thinking...and I know ...cringe...but it ran ok until I filled it back up with 93 grade, and then drove to Holiday World, had no problem getting there but when we got off the exit, it sounded like it was going to die. It only did this when stopped, all the way home, but drove fine the rest of the way, still had power. Well, now it doesn't have much power but idles better...I'm at a complete loss. What could I have possibly done?

2. countryboyshane

countryboyshane New Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Diesel Engineering
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The car will run down the road with 87, you just have an extremely high risk of detonation, and that is NOT a good thing. The ECU might be adjusting spark timing on the fly so quick it's causing stability issues.

Did you fill the tank with 87 when it was totally empty? You can try to keep refilling with 93, but it will take a long time to flush all the old gas out. If it were my car I would have drained the tank and started fresh with 93.

Any CELs?

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I agree with 'countryboyshane' but also would like to know about your MINI. Model(R50, 52,etc), Mileage, Maint. history, 1st time to use 87 octane or has it happened before? I did check your garage etc but could not find this info. :Thumbsup:

Jason

4. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Its an 08 R56S and it is the first time I've ever put 87 in it. I'm the second owner though so I don't know the history although with the extremely good condition it was in I would assume the previous owner used only high grade. Its back to running normal now and has its power back. I did fill it with 87 from empty, I always do fill up from the last 1-2 candy corns because my drive to work is a long one so I use alot. Next time I will double check before I pump my gas.

5. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I think that you probably can go with what 'countryboyshane' said and hopefully that one tank of 87octane is the culprit especially since she's running okay now. If you have the ability check on codes that she may have thrown or can go by a local 'Autozone' and get them to read any possible thrown codes, you may find a lot more information. At any rate, I'm glad that she's back to her old self.:Thumbsup:

Jason

6. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Agreed, and crossing my fingers. I didn't think to get any codes read simply because I haves had a check engine light on for a few months due to a bad thermostat that I changed and never got around to resetting the light.

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Not sure about the rough idle, but the no power is the result of your MINIs engine management dialing back the timing a bunch to keep detonation caused by the low octane from damaging the engine. I seriously doubt any damage has been done. Pour in the good fuel & do an Italian tune up.

8. grodenglaive

grodenglaive New Member

Apr 3, 2010
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    Better check that engine code, it might be something else this time. I know it's been said 100 times on this site, but get your own code reader - for $100 they're worth their weight in gold.

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Dump a can of seafoam in your next fill-up. That'll clean everything out and help the car run better.

10. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I did that on last 2 fillups as well

I plan to get one eventually.

11. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #11 Jason Montague, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
    :cornut: ScanGauge II ~$150 Tells you the codes. Can cancel the codes. Gives one a choice of additional real time gauges ie: Eng Temp, Volts, Intake Air Temp, and many more. Installation; Plug it in to the OBD and Velcros(or you can get fancy with brackets) to the dash.:Thumbsup:

Jason

12. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I like it....gonna have to get me one of them.