RSR Motorsports 1st & 2nd at New Jersey; Cattaneo and Trinkler Now Third in Points

Discussion in 'Racing MINIs' started by Nathan, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    MILLVILLE, N.J.—RSR Motorsports won at New Jersey Motorsports Park last year, and for 2011 they upped the ante by taking first and second in the ST class of Saturday’s GRAND-AM Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race. It is the first double podium for RSR Motorsports.

Owen Trinkler and Sarah Cattaneo shared the win in the No. 198 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S. It is the first series victory for Cattaneo, whose previous best finish was second at Miller Motorsports Park in 2010. Trinkler’s win marks his third in a MINI, following his wins last year at New Jersey and Trois-Rivieres.

Chris Puskar and Tom Dyer finished second in the No. 197 RSR Motorsports MINI Cooper S. Puskar previously drove with team owner Randall Smalley at Lime Rock, but this weekend marked Dyer’s first time behind the wheel of a MINI.

Now, with just one round left in the season, Cattaneo and Trinkler have moved into third in the team championship points, just nine points out of first. They got there by making a gamble: the team opted to make a second pit stop for fuel during a caution. It gave them enough fuel to make it to the end, but only if there was another caution.
    The anticipated caution came, and RSR Motorsports went on to their one-two finish.

“Wow, what a weekend!†says Smalley. “We’ve won at New Jersey two years in a row now, and this puts us in the championship chase again. We’ve engineered a competitive car, and our drivers did a fantastic job.â€

“I stayed behind the leader and tried to keep a good pace so we could conserve our tires,†says Trinkler of the final laps of the race. “We got a caution with about twenty minutes to go, and I got a good run on the restart. I passed for the lead in the same place I did last year.â€

“I’ll be on cloud nine for at least a week!†says Cattaneo. She also had a great qualifying session, taking the third starting spot. “I waited in the pits and went out later. It took a while to find the right break in traffic, but it couldn’t have turned out any better.â€

Puskar also had a great qualifying session and started the race from second, despite having never been to New Jersey Motorsports Park before. It was also the first time he and Dyer have driven together. “If ever there was a challenge thrown at me, it was this weekend!†says Puskar. “But Tom and I hit it off and we liked a similar setup, so we worked together really well. Plus, RSR is a great team that builds great cars. That makes it so easy for the drivers.â€

Dyer was also facing a number of firsts. “It was my first time in a MINI, in a front-wheel drive car, with the team, and it was my first time driving that track,†he says. “The car was super easy to come to terms with. It was great to drive and the results showed that.â€

Fans can see the double podium for RSR Motorsports during the race broadcast on SPEED. It airs on Saturday, July 30, at 3:00 p.m. ET.

Keep up with RSR Motorsports at RSR Motorsport / RSR Racing.

RSR Motorsports is sponsored by Cruise America, Thor Motor Coach, US LED, MINI USA, Pilot/Flying J Travel Centers, Performance Friction Rotors, OS Giken Racing Clutches and Limited Slip Differentials, Midway Ford Truck Sales, Mini North Scottsdale, Performance Speed Tech, and Carbotech Pads.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'll be glued to the screen for that broadcast.

Congrats RSR !! :Thumbsup:

3. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Nice happy picture! :Thumbsup: Is that an M/A sticker on the back window?

5. sdmidget

sdmidget New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Senior Planner
    Lancaster, PA
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

But of course!!!

:biggrin5:

6. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Yeppers, it sure is.

Right after putting on the M/A sticker last year RSR had their first win. Coincidence...I think NOT!

Just goes to show ya that M/A stickers increase both HP and Torque.

7. B.A.D.

B.A.D. Club Coordinator

Dec 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +934 / 0 / -0
    Set my dvr last night.

Can't wait for Mid-Ohio in September!

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Just finished watching the race and was really disappointed in the TV coverage again. Wish they would spend a bit more time on the ST class and get some on boards from something other than the Mazda's and Kia's.

I really did enjoy seeing the Kia get into trouble......:biggrin5: Now let's hope someone takes out 'ol Nic at Mid-Ohio!

Did anyone else catch the news about Randy Smalley losing his wife a few weeks ago?

Lets send him our prayers and hope he gets back soon.

9. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I too was disappointed at the lack of ST coverage, but I did enjoy shouting there's a MINI! Every time we got to glimpse one. Way to go RSR!
    And heart felt condolences to Randy, that just sucks :sad:

10. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Randy I am so very sorry for your loss. My condolences to you, your family & friends. :(

11. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Same here, my deepest sympathies Randy for your loss... Hang in there.. :(

12. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

13. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences to you and yours.

14. AliceCooper

AliceCooper Club Coordinator

Mar 13, 2010
    CT Technologist
    South Florida
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    My condolences as well, I bet she has a smile though as she hits 6th. gear blasting thru those pearly gates. : )