Rubbing Compound

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by Justa Jim, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Wake up Lotise, this is in your forum. :D

I just finished touching up some dings with a paint pen. Normally, I would use "rubbing compound" next to level things out, but I have read here that it is NOT good for clear coat. Is there something else that would work?

Jim

2. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Hummmm, once again I ask a question that nobody can answer. A pattern is developing here. When I find the answer I will post it, so every will know. :nonod:

Jim

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Do not use the old fashioned rubbin compound on your MINIs paint. It will really screw up the clear coat. FWIW I do not bother trying to rub down places I use touch up paint on. I use a paint pen & it does not blob like touch up paint put on with a brush.

4. Steve_LV

Steve_LV New Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you've got light scratches in your clear coat, how do you get them out if you can't use rubbing compound? I just bought some "hand polish", which I assume is the same thing, but I haven't used it yet.

5. Austinsynthetics

Austinsynthetics Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Mar 18, 2012
    Amsoil Distributor and Registered Nurse
    California
    Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    #5 Austinsynthetics, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
    This may answer your question.

MOTHERS® Polishes·Waxes·Cleaners

Can be picked up at any auto parts store, or from us at wholesale prices.

Brett

P.S. Another good product is Swirl Remover made by 3M, it's a very smooth polish.

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Jim,

Check out my article
    The Best Car Care Products are at ShowCarSupplies.com - Technique is Everything

Your question is answered in the first paragraph. I'll quote the first paragraph here:

"If you're new to detailing, you need to learn the lingo and strike some common phrases from your existing vocabulary. If you work by hand, and working on a modern paint finish, forget about "Rubbing Compounds" as well as "Wet Sanding". It's not that these terms are not important but simply because they are commonly misused which can lead to confusion and potentially irreversible damage to your paint. We will talk about safer alternatives that will get the results you seek without the risk."
    Read the rest of the article here
    The Best Car Care Products are at ShowCarSupplies.com - Technique is Everything

What you are asking about is hand applied polish. A safe and effective polish is Prima Swirl. I use this by hand a lot to remove minor clear coat blemishes and smoothing down touchup. We also used it the other day to clear up some lightly fogged headlights on a BMW 535. It also works great to clean up neglected or environmentally contaminanted vinyl. The link below has a picture of such a cleanup on perforated vinyl on the sunroof of a MINI.

The Best Car Care Products are at ShowCarSupplies.com - Polish for removing swirls

I would just use a dab of Prima Swirl on the end of a microfiber towel and gently polish the touchup. Although now I am using an entirely new system from a company called Applied Colors that lets me smooth and apply touchup using a chemical that works better than Dr. Colorchip or Langka.

Richard

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Thanks for setting us straight Richard. To a non-paint detail professional it can seem so confusing.

8. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Thank you very much Richard. I look forward to meeting you at MOTD and buying some items. :)

Jim

9. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Thanks Richard. I read your articles a couple of days ago and used Swirl to remove some bug marks from my Clear Bra. It worked great!

10. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    It really is confusing. There are soooo many products out there, and its really hard to choose the ones that work best. I went to the website quoted in a previous post here for Mothers and if I were a newbie...the sheer number of choices of products is mind boggling. I've always recommended Prima because it's simple and effective and if it's good enough for a $120,000 Fisker Karma, it's good enough for our MINIs, lol. And for those that don't know...we are Fisker Automotive HQ's exclusive detail shop for all of their press and prototype Karmas.
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150806614276133.471932.157160866132&type=3

[​IMG]

If you had unlimited funds to build a dream garage for your MINI, it might look like this
    [​IMG]

And look what products are used
    [​IMG]

See more here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150808066841133.472093.157160866132&type=1

Jim..are any of you that's going to MOTD might be interested in our Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner? I'm thinking of shipping some but not sure if people will be interested in a wheel cleaner that's basically touchless...spray and rinse?
    Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. :cornut:

11. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    I want some!

So yeah, bring it please. At least one bottle for me.

12. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Ok Nathan. :biggrin5:

Richard

13. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Count me in on the wheel cleaner too.

Jim

14. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Got it...thanks for the headsup.

Richard

15. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    If you look at Nates Garage he must have 10 different sets of wheels is 1 bottle gonna be enough?

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I guess you will have Black Wow with you as well?

Jim

17. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Richard if you could reserve me some Sonax wheel cleaner I'll be there to pick it up on Friday.

Thanks! :)

18. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    That SONAX Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is magical stuff......
    I bought the spray which is almost gone and fortunately I also bought the 5L refill tank.... So now I'm hoarding it to be used only on my MINI......:D

19. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Haha, he'll need the 5L refill, but I'm not so sure I'll be sending any of those up with me. If no one buys it, I'd rather use it up than ship it back, lol, cause they are heavy.

Absolutely...but Way Motor Works and MC2 magazine will also have some.
    Will do! I guess I'm getting enough feedback that I should ship some product to the event, lol. I'm flying in, so I can't really pack this stuff in my suitcase, lol.

Richard

20. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    With 1100+ registered I'm sure that a lot of product is going to leave the Dragon with happy buyers! I talked to another vendor yesterday who also shares my view and is going to have more product for sale than he normally has at MOTD. Richard, I'm in for Sonax and Black Wow....looking forward to meeting you.