[ S O L V E D] Overheating

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by miniowner, Mar 15, 2018.

1. miniowner

miniowner New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thanks in advance - the one with the issues is a 2005 R50 hatchback non-S - temperature gauge - overheating - what i have done
    1- checked fluid
    2- tested and replaced the stage 1- fan resistor
    3- had mechanic change t-stat and housing
    4- drained radiator - and flushed radiator

Upon filling or trying to fill systeme - poured fluid in reservoir - and waited and waited and waited - no lowering of level -
    open upper bleed screw (side question - how do I remove lower bleed screw without burning hand - the one directly front of or after reservoir)
    no fluid moving -
    could my "NEW" t-stat be shut and not opening?
    Does the temp sending sensor tell tstat - to open and thus I need a new one?
    the pump is belt driven and no leakage prior to work at weep (or i did not see any because radiator was full when I removed - - but after 5-8 minutes of running - no fluid could be added and my radiator is empty and no fluid out of upper bleed screw opening..

what is going one - my next step is to remove air filter box and replace t-stat -

2. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    I don't think changing the thermostat again will change anything.
    Try a complete cooling system flush.
    Remove the bleeder screw when the engine is cold.
    It's possible the new thermostat isn't opening.
    The temp sensor could be telling the ecu when to open the thermostat yes.

3. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    with the engine cool I always take the bleed screw all the way out. Then I crank the engine and add fluid slowly. depending on the out side tempter it takes forever to get anything to come out. I also keep the reservoir close to full. If you look down into where the bleed screw goes you will start to see antifreeze go by before it bubbles out. Once it starts coming out I leave it out a few seconds to make sure all the air is out. Then put the screw in and not burn myself. If you have a thick/big screwdriver it will hold the screws and that way you wont burn your self.

4. miniowner

miniowner New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    thanks - for info -
    one more thing - if I don't hear the bearing noise or see coolant leaking from water pump - then it should be fine? - correct? - I dont want to have to replace this even though I am pretty fast at putting this mini in front engine service mode

5. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    You are correct, no noise or leaks it should be good. Let us know what happens

6. miniowner

miniowner New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    ok - back at it this morning - removed bleed screws and let her/him run - steam from lower vent and no movement of fluid from reservoir - but small victory - 1st stage fan kicked in - no leaks from radiator hoses - but ...?
    • remove tstat and replace - my guess is it is not opening - was suppose to be brand new
    thoughts? -
    as always thank you in advance for assistance

7. Qik

Qik Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2015
    IT
    Atlanta-ish
    Ratings:
    +811 / 0 / -0
    If you had it installed, take it back and tell them the problem persists.
    Is the coolant moving? Are you losing coolant? Does your oil look like a milkshake?

8. miniowner

miniowner New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    not losing coolant, oil is fine - needs changing but not milky, when trying to fill system - reservoir not emptying - changing tstat to see if new one will open -
    - riddle me this - water pump is mechanical like thermostat - water pump is spinning quietly - no fluid leaking from weep that I can see - so it is right as rain - has to be tstat not opening to let fluid into system - it ain't rocket science - but when I started filling system and turning on heater - no hot air in cab - before temp sensor came on and I shut it down to track down new tstat...sound about . right?

9. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    if you place the new thermostat in boiling water does it open? If you have a way of testing water temp when does it start to open? Just to see it open in a pot of boiling water is at least ruling out it is opening.

10. Canusrufis

Canusrufis RMW Powered R53
    Lifetime Supporter

Nov 27, 2013
    Male
    Winston Salem NC
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    and sometimes I'll pull my car on ramps, or steep incline to get that front bleed screw in the upmost position to move air out. I'd make certain the thermostat is opening first.

11. miniowner

miniowner New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    took time but - opened cap filled bleed, heater on in cab - viola - 15 minutes and 2 tubes coolant.. replaced thermostat for good measure

12. 00Mini

00Mini Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,024 / 6 / -5
    It's always great to hear a success story !!

13. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
    Good stuff.. glad you got it figured out.

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
  15. Sully

Sully Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Jul 21, 2015
    Software
    Ratings:
    +1,102 / 8 / -0
  16. Gpwpat

Gpwpat New Member

Apr 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I’m late to the party. But I will post anyway for future people looking for solution. The problem is an air bubble. And you are filling lots of tubes with a small hose at the bottom of the resovior. I replaced my thermostat last weekend, and yesterday I installed a Mashimoto radiator and the resistor. Over the last 15 years of working on my mini I have found when filling cooling system it is a lot faster to fill both sides of the thermostat. When I just did the thermostat I used a large capacity syringe to fill the radiator hose between the thermostat and radiator. Yesterday when I replaced the radiator I disconnected the hose at the purge valve and filled the radiator from the hose. Then I reassembled and purged air out with syringe. I did have a small bubble. As I was running heater and had no heat. But once I started driving temp gauge quickly dropped from 210 to 180 and the heater got hot. Went for test drive and topped off coolant done. Until next time. My water pump has 120K on this mini. I will replace it when I service supercharger.

17. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Nice, thanks for posting. It should help someone down the road.