ScanGauge mount for MINI

Discussion in 'MINI' started by Ofioliti, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Several folks have mentioned that the ScanGauge II looks out-of-place in the interior of the MINI, and I agree.

It would be neat if someone could make a mount for the gauge that sort of matches the interior design of the MINI. Anyone seen or tried something like this?

Naked gauge: scangaugeorig.jpg

In mount:

scangauge.jpg

Sorry for the crappy digital editing, hopefully you get the idea.

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Looks good, but still have to mount it somewhere.

3. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I'm actually happy with it on the dash to the left of the steering wheel using the sticky velcro----easy to glance at. However, it isn't horizontal because of the sloping dash. So, maybe the mount could compensate for that so that the screen is horizontal. Just thinking ...

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    Scan Gauge Mount

:Thumbsup:Mine has it's velcro on each end. It's at the same place, but it's velcro'd to the steering collumn and the end of the dash on the left of the steering wheel. It sits higher than yours does, directly in front of the dash insert. In this position it can be angled in any position that one prefers. The wire of course, goes beside the steering column,into the dash and from there to the OBDII.:Thumbsup: Jason

5. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know....

a custom injection mold is on the order of $2k via China, about $4k if you do it here in the US. Doing the two tone requires some painting or fancier plastic work, so the costs go up, and this is before you sell the first unit. The other way to go would be to CNC some Aluminum and paint, this has a lower set up cost but a higher unit price.

Matt

6. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    I don't know. I think with the Craven mount it looks very nice :cornut:
    DSC02171.jpg

7. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Picture please!

Thanks for the info. Interesting. I had no idea what it costs to have something like this done. I wouldn't do this myself---just hoping some vendor sees this and takes it up. :D

Looks fine. But I think it would look much better with the rounded mount I drew above! :Thumbsup: Just me.

8. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The rounded mount is a neat look but I'm not sure the market justifies the production costs. One could always try and make this for themselves though.
    Mine is mounted by the windshield in the front left of the dash and is very easy to glance at while driving. This location does have the disadvantage of being bleached out by bright sunlight though.

9. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, that's where mine is too. On the hard plastic butting up against the soft part of the dash.

I might attempt to make something myself out of various odd plastic things... we'll see.

10. Deviant

Deviant Banned

Apr 23, 2009
    Student
    Southern IL
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    You just gave me an idea as I have an extra rear center console piece out of an earlier R53 sitting around I could hack to bits.

11. Ofioliti

Ofioliti New Member

May 9, 2009
    Professor
    ... always curious
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    Cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with.