SCCA FSP Class (new 2012) Preparation and Experience

Discussion in 'Autocross' started by GreyLens, Jan 7, 2012.

1. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #1 GreyLens, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
    SCCA has released some major changes to rules and classes for 2012. I used to run in SCCA STX Class with the San Antonio Sports Car Association (SASCA) but this year I'm moving to Street Prepared for a number of reasons I'll explain in a later post. (My former thread on STX Preparation has been closed.)

I'll explain the new classes and implications for MINI's in more detail later. This first post is just to let you know that SCCA has moved the former D Street Prepared (DSP) cars to FSP and moved the former FSP to a newly formed class of GSP. The MINI JCW used to be in the DSP class but is now a key member of the new FSP class.

I'll explain my reasons for moving from STX to FSP as well as relay some new modifications info and experience in this new class. I hope you will post your experience and/or reasons for staying in STX, or making the move, etc. More soon.

2. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #2 GreyLens, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
    Note: Class Hopping from ST to STX is over

SCCA did change the rules for 2012 to prevent class hopping from ST to STX. This was a big issue in 2011 to STX drivers. It even affected the nationals. I was looking forward this change for 2012 so I wouldn't have to fight the 800+ lb difference with the older Honda Civic. But, I decided to add some mods to the car (just for fun...not necessarily for autox) which will put me in the new FSP class anyway. So, anyone running a JCW in STX will not have to deal with that. But, some of the older Subaru WRX STI's have moved from STU to STX so that will keep the field in STX very hot but the cars will at least be of similar weights. STX will be tough for a JCW from now on but at least now it will be for the right reasons.

3. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    And didn't they add an STF class for front wheel drive cars only? I ran the GP in DSP last season, and nearly took class, but was beaten out by a Subaru STI. It's hard to class the GP, it looks like JCWs can run in CS this year too. . . Or I might be misunderstanding the classifications, wouldn't be the first time!

4. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Actually, they're now setting up the "ST" class for..."ST class will now be targeted at newer, heavier FWD sedans such as the Mini Cooper, Mazda 3, Acura RSX, Toyota Corolla and Scion tC, as well as the new small FWD “microcars” (e.g. Mazda 2, Honda Fit, Ford Fiesta, Toyota Yaris)"

They're moving the older, MUCH LIGHTER!, cars to STS: "Honda Civic (86-2000) Acura Integra (90-2001) Sentra SE-R (91-94) Nissan NX2000 (91-94) Toyota Celica (94-2005) Dodge/Chrysler Neon Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS (98-2001) Nissan 240SX"....this is the group that was doing a lot of "class hopping" into STX and back to ST as the competition varied at Divisional's, etc.

Cars eligible for STX and STU are now listed by make, model and year to prevent class hopping.

This will make the whole ST set of classes much more evenly matched.

Here are the proposed rule changes for 2012:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/Documents/2011%20Tech/2012%20Solo%20Rules%20Proposals%204-25-2011.pdf

5. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    You might be right about the STF class. I didn't find that in the actual rules change proposal for 2012 but an article in this month's Grassroots Motorsports magazine by Andy Hollis says there is a new ST FWD class for the more modern B and C segment econoboxes that are heavier and includes the MINI with a list of others. It might be that the ST class may end up very similar to before and they added ST FWD to cover the new heavier FWD coupes. In any event the MINI Coupe, Coupe S, and JCW will all have a cleaner field of competition in Street Touring in 2012.

Another change for all of ST is big brakes are allowed for all classes. This makes it easier to take the big brake config to the track and sanctioned SCCA events in ST classes.

6. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I need to get a copy of the newest rule book, but I'm excited about the new changes.

7. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Reasons for moving from STX to FSP

The main reason for changing class is I wanted to go ahead and install the intercooler so I could use it with a stage two tune at the track. And, SP will also allow me to use the tune in autox as well. I'm also curious to see how much of a difference using racing tires will make. I'll likely use Hoosier A6's on 7.5" to 8" wheels if I can find non-custom ones with the right stud pattern. I can at least run the 225-40-17's in A6 on 7" rims instead of the 215-45-17's I run in STX. I may also put some lighter seats in which is allowed in SP but not in STX.

I can also push the wheel size further and flare the side panels in SP but I don't think I'll go down that path for awhile. Much wider wheels can make quite a difference at the track but the difference is not as great in autocross according to some recent articles in GRM and advice from locals. All the exterior of the GreyLenz is OEM and I like the look so flaring the wheel wells, while it looks great on most cars, may not be my cup of tea.

So, essentially, the FSP class marries up with the mods I want for use at the track for my occasional HPDE's.

8. GreyLens

GreyLens New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 25, 2009
    Electrical Engineer
    San Antonio, Texas
    Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    #8 GreyLens, Jan 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    Oops: JCW and JCW GP STAY IN DSP...not FSP

DSP: Though the proposed 2012 Rule Changes had placed the MINI JCW and Mazdaspeed 3 in the FSP class, which was a bit confusing, the FINAL DRAFT of the 2012 rules, soon to be approved, has the JCW and JCW GP squarely in DSP along with the Mazdaspeed 3, which, I think, is one of the main competitors for the JCW. DSP also has the BMW 325's and 328's, Cobalt SS's, and Civic Si's 1999-present. (We also have a sweet Porsche 914 in DSP locally.) The main issue is that the 80's Civic's (very light) and the Subaru STI's (heavy but formidable) are not in DSP. The structure of the class now looks to place the JCW in a competitive field with no class hopping issues.

STX: STX is also much cleaner for the JCW. And Rae was right in that ST now has a "STF" for front wheel drive where the MINI Cooper (non-S) runs and STC for compacts.

I've also been looking at the costs and changes to move from STX to DSP and I'm still not fully decided after all. If I stay in STX I might open another thread on the subject. If I move to DSP I'll definitely open one and see if there is interest. But, since FSP definitely will not include the JCW I'll close this thread.