1st Gen R53 Cooper S Serpentine Belt on Drugs

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by mini_racer, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mini_racer

mini_racer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Ok, maybe not exactly on drugs, but at least crazy!

This is a Gates belt that died on the track after maybe 8K miles and 1.5 yrs, since this is my daily driver, so track time is relatively rare. Anyway, it was replaced under warranty by my local CarQuest store with no problems and I am hoping to get better service out of this new one.

I was fortunate enough to have a spare with me when the 'old' one died and did not miss a session, otherwise it would have been a really bad day.

Since I have never had a belt expire on me at all before this incident, I was wondering if this is the normal way they go or is this 'special'?

Take a look............
    [​IMG]

A word to the wise on new belts:
    Since the serpentine belt contains rubber, it has a shelf life. The counter guy brought me out a replacement that was old, dusty, and had a faded pkg/holder around the belt. I refused it and came back the next day for a new one. Rubber gets hard, less sticky, and more prone to cracks and failure as it get old, just like tires. Make sure your replacement is a new belt.

BTW, my belt was inspected just the day before the death. It had no cracks, no chunks missing or anything. No obvious slipping, no squealing, nothing. It had normal signs of light wear, that's it. So, go check your belts, cause you never know.

2. FUEGO

FUEGO Club Coordinator

May 4, 2009
    IT Geek
    DFW Texas
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me with a Gates 60535 at the track last year. It was less than three months old with less than 1K miles on it. I'm sticking with the NAPA 60535 now. I've had good luck with them.

NOTE: From thread lost in the great data dump - not all 60535 belts are the same length! The NAPA 60535 is the preferred belt for an R53 with a 15% pulley.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I'd take a good look at your pulleys and tensioner, catastrpohic failure like that is very unusual....

4. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    #4 mini_racer, Apr 15, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    FUEGO,
    I thought Gates made Napa, so they the same exact thing. BTW, this is a Carquest K060535 branded belt, made by Gates as stated on the back of the pkg. I do recall that thread before the cyber space incident and have always though of NAPA and Gate interchangeably as far as Serpentine belts are concerned.

So, in your experience, just go to the Napa store and get their version of the 060535 ?

5. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I will definitely give everything a good look over when I put this new belt on. At the moment I am still running my spare which was hastily installed at the track. It is my OEM JCW belt, as it is 4yrs old now I really should replace my spare.

6. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Please share your experience here FUEGO.

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    It's less likely the age or brand of (a relatively new) belt, and more likely that your belt failure was due to slipping over the supercharger pulley and/or your tensioner dampener having failed. When the dampener fails, the tensioner bounces off the belt, and can cause failures under heavy use. Check the body of the small black "shock" on your tensioner. Is it moist with oil? If so, it may has taken a crap. BTW, check that the oil is not from a leaky valve cover gasket above it--that can lead to a false diagnosis of failed dampener. Also check the bearings in the tensioner pulley and idler pulley (the one next to your AC compressor).

8. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I will be getting in to this today. Thanks for the tips Eric, very timely and much appreciated.

9. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    1. As inspected the day before it died, my belt tensioner had half a hole showing, and had minimal signs of slight wear.
    2. Spare JCW belt off today and a good chance to inspect everything:
    - tensioner shock is dry and appears normal
    - idler pulley spins smooth and freely
    - tensioner pulley spins smooth and freely
    - everything seems to be perfectly aligned
    3. I am still back to a 'belt on drugs'

The new Carquest /Gates belt is installed and we will see what we get out of it, but I damn sure aint gonna baby it.

10. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I had a belt go on the track

and it looked very much like yours. I was finding shredded bits of stuff for a while. I think that a lot of them look like this when they let go during hard use. Mine was a Goodyear, I think.

Anyway, each and every person who drives the car hard should change the belt every year, and carry a spare! Yes, it's a short service life, but if you really look at how hard these belts are worked on a supercharged car, it's cheap insurance for sure!

Matt

11. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    How about the crank pulley, did you check that?
    A failing pulley will work fine on the street and throw belts on the track.

Ask me how I know that :).

12. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    I did give the crank pulley a look over as well and it looked fine, but all of this inspection was done with the naked eye, and I don't have caliper or special alignment eyes. The crank pulley however, was not as freely spinning as the others. :wink5:

So, please do tell your story.

What were your symptoms? Did you get into some sort of pattern of 5 DEs to kill the belt, or maybe fine for all street driving and then dead belt on the first track session?

Which pulley was failing for you? How did you determine which one it was? Maybe it was your crank dampener going bad and had some cracks upon close inspection?

Yeah, I am asking....How do you know that?

13. Vader

Vader New Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Real simple, I threw a belt on two consecutive track days (2nd session Sat, 3rd on Sun) with no apparent cause. Belt was replaced and I continued to run. The failed belts looked a lot like yours. During the next event, a month later, the crank pulley (harmonic dampener, or whatever you want to call that thing on the end of the crank shaft) totally failed and the outer pulley separated from the inner shaft. The rubber part had total failure. I replaced the stock part with an aftermarket 'solid' pulley and I haven't had a problem since.

(I will not participate in any discussion of the pros/cons of solid crank pulleys)

14. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    OK got it and thanks. Something for me to keep an eye on. And no problem, I don't want to talk about crank pulleys either. After all, this thread is about serpentine belts anyway!

Thanks again for sharing that experience.

15. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    And you did check the supercharger pulley for free movement, right?:Thumbsup:

16. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this is somewhat consistent with my experience. I didn't throw any belts until the pulley completely failed - but I DID have some belt slippage occurring leading up to the catastrophic failure of the crank pulley. Also, new belts appeared to "stretch" soon after installation (e.g. after driving for a day or two) as determined by lack of visible holes in tensioner strap. What I theorized later is that before the rubber in the pulley fails completely, it develops more "slop" than spec - and the tension of the belt on the pulley can pull it out of alignment a bit - which the tensioner would have to take up as "slack". At least, that's consistent with the symptoms I was seeing in the weeks leading up to the catastrophic failure.

17. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I did, but failed to mention it, oops.

It feels smooth, but not exactly spinning freely, I mean it aint no Rotrex.

But, yeah the SC is fine.

18. mini_racer

May 4, 2009
    Engr Manager
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    OK then, maybe I will soon have an excuse to go and get that ATI Super Damper I have had my eye on for a while. :D

Thanks for the input.

19. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Honestly... knowing what I know now... the ATI damper would be one of the first things I would put on a 1st gen MINI that's modded and/or driven hard. I wouldn't own a first gen car without it. Why? Because, on hard-driven 1st gen MINIs, I think ALL the OEM dampers are destined to fail at some point. And when it does, it ruins your day. Big time.

20. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0

:Thumbsup: