Shame shame

Discussion in 'MINI' started by docv, Jul 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    moble auto paint tech ( PTU )
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately people are still giving MINIs a bad name this year and must have a death wish, sad because it will be a motorcycle that gets it.

Taken last week by Killboy on the Dragon....:frown2:

[​IMG]

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Idiot. :(

Anybody recognize who they are?

3. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Shame Killboy cant give photos of the offenders, no mater what they drive, to the THP and let them use as evidence to prosecute.

4. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Stupid, idiot...

Idiots, they are everywhere & they drive everything, even MINIs. A stupid dolt for sure. :frown2:

5. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Agree with all y'all.:frown2::incazzato::mad5:

Jason

6. Sideways

Sideways New Member

May 12, 2009
    Motorer and footwear Extrodinaire!
    Above the Border^^^
    Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -0
    some people think they are Mario Andretti...other are just Ricky Bobby...

7. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Never understood it, If you want to straighten out the corners go to west Texas otherwise enjoy the curves....

8. TATTRAT

TATTRAT Well-Known Member
    Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Executive Chef
    NoVA/DC
    Ratings:
    +474 / 0 / -0
    Shake and bake:frown5:

9. Norm03s

Norm03s New Member

May 5, 2009
    Working at being retired.
    Somewhere in Sykesville. Md.
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Those idiots drive all kinds of vehicles, if they can't keep it in their lane they are driving to fast.

10. INIMINI

INIMINI New Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Logistics & Administration
    Jersey City
    Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    Come to NYC...there are alot more idiots than one MINI...Your skills will be honed by the next MOTD.

11. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Guys,

I agree with this thread on allot of levels but there is one aspect that is bugging me.

There is a 'holier than thou' vibe going through this and all of the posts along this topic IMHO. We're pretty quick to throw out the label "idiot". Here and the one where the chick almost ran Killboy off the road at the May event do get the "Idiot" tab in my book.

But can you who have been to the Dragon say you have never ever ever crossed over the yellow line just a teensey bit?

I've been to the Dragon several times now and while I like to drive fast when not behind a pack of Harley's I am very mindful of staying on my side of the road. Very Mindful

That said I have had a wheel drift onto the yellow line and in a particular hot corner I believe I had a wheel just over the line. No where near as offensive as the two recent instances by far

Thank god no one caught it on film or I would have had my picture plastered all over NAM or here hanging my MINI head in shame.

Seems everyone wants to take this personally just because someone in the same brand of car you drive does something stupid.

Then we have conversations about driver education before the May event and get all self righteous. Do you really think the idiots who drive like this are going to attend? I think not

I was on the Dragon a few weeks back and a pack of 6 or so early BMW 3series were having a grand old time. Driving to fast? probably Loud? yep, Crossing the line? quite likely. Should all 3 series owners get all worked up?

Idiots will do as idiots do and they drive all sorts of different cars. Tragic if someone gets hurt regardless of Marque but it sadly happen and theres nothing we can do about it

We as a community have become way to hyper sensitive on the topic IMHO

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    Tim, I tend to agree with you.....
    But in my case, I don't think I have crossed that yellow line on the Dragon. The reason being, I remember this very subject being discussed and I watched several "YouTube" videos of drivers crossing the line (they were all "other" marquees). I drummed it into my head that I wasn't going to be remembered as causing an accident on the dragon, which can very easily be pretty serious on that course. In addition I had my wife, my dog and a brand new MINI. Iv'e only been to the Dragon once and it was in the fall for "Slay the Sleeping Dragon". Much fewer MINI's and more relaxed I think. But I think what really set the stage for me were the discussions on the forums and the video's. It stuck with me the whole time I was there.

Anyway my $0.02....:D

13. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Good points Tim but we as a group and especially a group as large as ours has become must police our own, I am not one to label someone idiot but I will point the finger of shame.

I have crossed the line a little I think most everyone has but not to hang my whole MINI on the other side. I love to go fast, did it with you at MINIs in the Mountains last year but those were for the most part long sweeping corners not the tight blind corners you have at the Dragon.

I just want to keep it in the front of everyones mind, educate not humiliate, but to do that you must show examples. Killboy does that very well, I can go on his site each week and find all kinds of vehicles across the line, however this is a MINI forum so I am looking for MINIs.

I really really like going to MOTD it is by far the best single brand event going I just want it to stay that way.

14. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    First time we went to the Dragon I decided to make one more run up and back on my own. There was a wreck where from the info I got afterwards, two Miatas running side by side ran a motorcycle off the road......killing him. Too hyper sensitive? Maybe but I'd bet money his family doesn't think so. On the way back down after seeing the Guy dead on the side of the road, my mind not really there, I met the old owner of the Dragon store coming up in his pick up truck....my tires were on the yellow line, not across but on the line. I stopped at the store as I saw him turn around....well lets just say I took my cussing like a man...and deserved it. :(

We all make mistakes and I don't think we need to run around like a bunch of pin heads trying to catch each other doing something wrong; it just wouldn't be productive. But a good awareness program with a little education in the the dangers could make us, the Mini community, good examples for everyone.

So let's put our bullets back in our pockets and do this in a constructive manner without belittling folks. What y'all think? ;)

15. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Hell Mark, you condensed my whole soapbox diatribe down to one sentence.....:idea:

Thanks!

16. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For me, and thats me only, 500 or so MINI's in that area at one time scares the crap out of me. Granted the carnival energy is there and I miss that. I get that, at least I think I do, at the MITM event.

The MSSD event is where it's at, for me, Dragon wise

When I heard of the chick doing her thing to Killboy and the accident caused by blinded by the sun I thought you folks got off pretty good statistically that is

17. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    While you have some great points, the picture is of a driver more than just a "little on the line" He is WAY over the line and this is cause for alarm. There is absolutely no excuse for going over the yellow line. If you can't keep the car in your lane....YOU ARE DRIVING TOO DAMN FAST ! !

This road, or any other "fun" road, is not a race track. It is not necessary or even req'd that you drive fast. Why do folks feel the need to push it up to 8 or 9/10ths?

18. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Tim, I know your feelings about MOTD, as you have stated them here several times before and it is fine for you to feel that way, but you clearly tend to put the event down as dangerous and unsafe, yet you have never attended. I, for one, do not share your views and I have been to MOTD twice. I think your reviews could cause some new folks to the MINI community to possibly not attend MOTD, which would be a shame.

Jim

19. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I can't agree, as would find most of the "Community" IMHO

Mark

20. docv

docv Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 30, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    Well, we are discussing it, keeping it sane and exploring different opinions, that is all we need, as we talk others read that may never post but they are now aware. Thats all we can do. The rest is up to the individual...... :Thumbsup: