Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Shocks?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by wzabrouski, Jul 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Getting tired of the rough ride of my h-sports with koni yellows, I recently went back to a stock shock with jcw springs. It is clear I gained some comfort, but lost some of the handling I loved. I have been thinking about koni fsd's but some have said they don't work well with any sort of lowering spring. As far as I can tell there are very few other options when staying with standard shock non coilover. I have done some research on Bilstein's but think the HD's will be just as firm as the Koni Yellows. Any other suggestions I might be missing? Thanks :rolleyes5:

2. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein SP shocks have a stiffer damping curve than Yellows on soft; you may be confusing their damping reports with HDs.

My FSDs died young and lost their little semblance of "sporting" quality quickly; no recommendation here.

3. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering what the koni's would have been like with the jcw springs? They increased ride height so they should have been more comfortable than the h-sports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Bilstein HD's are sweet, I have them on my E36. However I don't think they make both front and rear HD's for the MINI. Haven't verified that for myself lately, though.

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Supposedly the valves/seals were re-designed due to failures....
    since they come with a lifetime warranty, it was not publicized, but a few different places about 2 years ago said they were out due to change.
    I have FSD's....they are a nice product, but I have also heard that any lowing spring will pretty much destroy them pretty quickly....Way did say that a few folks have had good luck with the TSW springs and FSD's...

Ride quality is good, pretty sporty, but I would not say they are for the driver seeking maximum performance....they are more of the performance level of OEM, maybe slightly better....
    They are designed more for the drive that wants to keep the performance of the stock struts (maybe slightly better), with a better ride quality....
    So if you are not happy with the stock shocks, and miss the yellows (improved performance, worse ride)....you have a choice to make....or look elsewhere! I have not heard much about Bilstein's on MINI's....

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    So far so good for my FSDs with TSW springs. Been running that combo for two years now - on second-hand FSD's, no less.

7. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What is it that you're looking for?

If a stock ride is what you're looking for but want flatter cornering, you can stick with the stock dampers and springs and go to bigger anti-sway bars to keep the car flatter.

Really, soft ride with sport handling isn't really doable with passive components. The MagnaRide isn't on the MINI yet, so you'll have to live with some semblance of a trade off.

One thing I would caution against is lowering. This will limit suspension travel even more on stock dampers.

Bilstein PSS9s were the rage a few years ago. PSS10s are out, but I think the "pack" has moved onto other things....

Matt

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    I didn't think JCW springs had much of a drop. There seem to be some people who have had good luck with the TSW / FSD combo. Not sure if I'm way right or way wrong on that. If the JCW & TSW springs are about the same height I think I'd try the FSD's.

Car handling & feel is such a subjective thing. What is not sporty enough for one person is nice & sporty to another. You can spend a lot of money & end up with something you'll love or something you'll hate. Move cautiously.

Some fixed IE plates, a good alignment, stock dampers/springs & a 19mm rear bar has me happy with my MINIs handling. Plus I have the bonus of being able to clear a big fat dead Ohio ground hog.

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    My TSW X-brace drags on every tall speed bump now. bummer.