Shopping for first Mini! Coupe or Hardtop?

Discussion in 'Starting Line - New Member Introductions' started by cc5050, Aug 15, 2013.

1. cc5050

cc5050 New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I took my first test drive yesterday in the hardtop, (hatchback, or 'original') S, manual, and *loved* it. The Coupe really caught my eye, too, but I didn't get to drive it. I've read the reviews about limited rear visibility in the coupe, esp. when the spoiler deploys. Then, of course, there's the lack of rear seats and the higher price tag. Decisions, decisions.....

2. Belhaven

Belhaven Active Member

Jun 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +40 / 0 / -0
    IMO the hardtop (cooper or clubman) provides the perfect mix of small&sporty with utility.

Unless it was just going to be a second car for commutes & weekend runaround, I'd find the coupe too small. I think the countryman is too big without actually being big enough - I'd get the van or SUV.

3. Z06_Pilot

Z06_Pilot Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jun 12, 2013
    Network Design Engineer
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -0
    #3 Z06_Pilot, Aug 15, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
    the only reason I would by a coupe over a hardtop is if I wanted one before they are gone. It's pretty widely known now that the coupe is being phased out in favor of a new model(I think the roadster is going as well at the same time).

I agree that the hardtop is the perfect compromise, and a JCW version is even better!

BUT for me, if we were getting a 2nd Mini, it would be the Clubman....no question about it we would have gotten it instead of the CM if we didn't need 4 doors with the extra room, and if the rear seat lowered completely flat.....just the coolest looking car I have seen in a good while. It looks like a hardtop from the front, but has that long, low, chopped build to it....the rear double doors with gas struts so they pop open wide and stay in place, the single-sided suicide door.....it's just too cool for school.....

4. cc5050

cc5050 New Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ah, I didn't know they were being phased out. Now I wonder why. Also, I wonder what that will do to the resale value of the ones being sold now.

Even though it will be my primary car, I do look at is as a fun, 'runaround' car. I probably won't need the extra room, but I don't like the idea of closing off my options.

Also, when I think Mini, I think of the classic hardtop.

Stuck in 'overthink' mode. :confused:

5. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    I've got a blk/blk coupe I would consider selling.

6. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Nice Coupe for sure..... :D

[​IMG]

7. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

8. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    welcome to m/a

9. maacodale

maacodale Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center owne
    Poquoson, VA
    Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    As the owner of a hatchback, a clubman, a Cabrio and indirectly (sons car) a roadster, I'd lean towards another hatch. Great sportiness, economy, roominess and totally a MINI. The coupe is cool, but you've mentioned the rear vision issue. Still they look cool, just too pricey and confined for me to rationalize the purchase of one. I do thoroughly enjoy the sons roadster, though.

For me, it's the hatch. All the handling and power of a coupe with spaciousness the coupe can't match. And make sure it's a "S" model. The Justa models aren't quite as much fun. (Waiting for the flack to start flying for that!)

10. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    I have owned a Clubman, now a GP, and indirectly owned a convertible and now a Roadster. If you are a top down person then the Roadster, if that is not your style then the Coupe. Both the Coupe and the Roadster have large boot space. If more than that space is needed then the Cooper S HT is the ticket.

11. CamtheWookie

CamtheWookie New Member

May 17, 2009
    Huntersville, NC
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I think if you're concerned at all about rear visibility and utility, then the regular ol' hatchback (hardtop) is the car for you. As said above, it's the perfect mix of fun, classic MINI good looks, and plenty of cargo/passenger space.

12. JECO

JECO Active Member

Apr 22, 2012
    Newsletter producer, retired DOT chief
    Crozet, VA
    Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -0
    I second the comment on boot space. The wonderful roadster has unbelievable space and the pass through is great for longer items. We do our weekly grocery shopping in either the Countryman or the Roadster.

13. JenLane

JenLane New Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Philadelphia, PA
    Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    +1 on boot space. A NIB 10K BTU air conditioner, boot box, a full grocery trip and more. Sure, you can do that with the hardtop, too! It's just nice to know you can do all that with the Coupe and Roadster.

They can be quite practical if they suit your lifestyle. And as for visibility, it's never once been an issue for me. But I've had cars with similar visibility. I may not be able to see the top of the hill in the rear view once I've gone down it but that's what the side view mirrors are for. Plus, I've seen that already. ;)

Egress has been another issue. And they're stiffer so city dwellers and those with intense potholes tend to dislike that.

And rain water. You have to open the boot slowly or it'll splash a bit onto the tonneau cover. I just keep a rag back there to dry it off.

Love the pass through gate, too. When I want to hide something like my laptop, I prefer not to open the boot and be seen putting it there. Just pass it into the boot and voila! Hidden!

If those things don't bother you, get one and drive it like you stole it. They're quite fun!

14. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Welcome to M/A the FUN Mini site. :Thumbsup:

15. peep

peep New Member

Jan 29, 2013
    marketing...conference and event planner right now
    Central New Jersey
    Ratings:
    +82 / 0 / -0
    I have not driven the coupe but will tell you JenLanes coupe is uber sexy.

I got my hardtop hatch in January and am still in love with it. I think anyone you pick would make you happy. But do yourself a favor and go and drive each model. The right one will make your heart smile.

16. wmwny

wmwny Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    Male
    Retired
    Piqua, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +2,788 / 10 / -0
    I like the looks of the Roadster and the Coupe, but visibility in each is awful [especially out the back]. So, I'm staying with my 3 hardtop hatchbacks!

17. hanyssa

hanyssa New Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Columbus, OH
    Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Visibility in the convertible is not too great either. I paid $4 for two small round blind spot mirrors. Has made ALL the difference!!