Sioux Falls, SD

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rum4, May 28, 2014.

Tags:
  1. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    #1 rum4, May 28, 2014
    Last edited: May 28, 2014
    Anyone on here near Sioux Falls, SD? I ask cause my son is looking at a job there. He is a young man and I don't want to see him get there and get taken advantage of, if he moves there.
    He is looking at a job with Marmen.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I was born and raised there and went to school grades 7-12 in Brandon where Marmen is actually located.

I live in MD now but my entire family (hundreds of 'em) still live in SF, some in Brandon. They're all the type who just graduate high school and get a job right there, the end, because why would you ever leave?

Now that I'm thinking about it, this info probably won't help you since I'm not there, but it's not often SF, SD, comes up so I had to chime in. Let me know if you have questions. Who knows, I might even have an answer or two.

3. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Well it is helpful. Especially if they are willing to assist him around the area and it might give him someone to meet and get to know. I know I am asking a lot but I really worry about him going that far away but this is something he wants to pursue.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    I'll call the folks tomorrow and see what they have to say.

In the meantime, it's a pretty nice place.

One year - about 20 years ago but still I'm counting it - Money Magazine rated SF, SD, the best small city in the country. What's interesting about that is the town got almost zero points for the recreation category because that was severely lacking at the time but it scored so high on every other category it won anyway. Great medical facilities and other infrastructure, low cost of living, good housing, low tax rates, low unemployment, etc, etc, and the place has improved since then IMHO. In fact, when I was out there visiting last Oct I saw a couple news items about how worried some local businesses were that they wouldn't be able to hire enough extra Christmas seasonal help because the unemployment rate was too low!

I'll say that again, the unemployment rate, in 2013, was too low.

My family can't figure out why I haven't moved back there since retiring from the USAF. I really am tempted sometimes but all the military moves put me off the idea of ever wanting to move again unless I'm forced to.

5. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. If he goes he will get an apartment and have a vehicle. I just worry about him, but I am ready to set him up for success on my part the rest he has to do.

6. ejwjcw

ejwjcw Active Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 14, 2013
    Male
    Metro Denver
    Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    I am suprised he is moving that far away from you guys.

7. rum4

rum4 Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Aug 17, 2011
    SC
    Ratings:
    +1,478 / 0 / -0
    Not sure yet. He has a interview on Skype Thursday.