Slight marks in clearcoat?

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by travis2, Apr 14, 2010.

1. travis2

travis2 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hi guys,

New to the Mini scene, with my purchase of a 2005 MCS in January. My car is hyperblue with white top and stripes.

This weekend, my bonnet was covered with bird droppings (I know a tree I will not be parking under again). I was able to wash w/in 4-5 hours and after washing, noticed (at an angle and under lights) slight marks in the clear where the bird droppings were.

The markings are not noticeable when running fingers across, but look bad in the light.

I tried a couple of waxes (Meguiar's NxT tech and Turtle paste) and neither removed the marks.

Prima and this forum were suggested, but wow, too many Prima polishes to choose from.

Seems a number on experts here - so should I claybar, or use a Prima polish? Thanks for suggestions. From the discussions, I believe I will pick up some BG to finish it off once I get the marks removed.

While I am asking :) - my white stripes are not so white. I think I would prefer to remove them, but have concerns about paint fade (since car is ~5 years old). One choice is to clean them - any suggestions on something that works? Or, if I choose to remove, what would I need to do to make sure the stripes "disappear"?

Thanks!

--travis

2. TGS91

TGS91 New Member

May 8, 2009
    Sales Dude
    St. Louis, MO
    Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    For the bird poop I'd - clay and see if that removes, if not go to Prima Swirl and work Swirl till it comes out. I'd get a good qualtiy wax and then BG

As far as the stripes you could clean them with something like 303 Aerospace Protectant. If 5 yrs old and never cleaned that is going to be a long job. These vinyl stripes are not made to last forever I'd suggest swapping out for new (if you like the stripes). Process for the paint is the same as above. It will take you longer I suspect

In a nutshell polish till you get smooth and see if any color fade and make your decision to re-stripe or not from there

As a suggestion I'd add Amigo inbetween the Swirl and Wax. Fantastic stuff!

3. bee1000

bee1000 New Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Marketing
    San Diego, California
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  4. MD-IN-UK

MD-IN-UK New Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    A very mild solution of baking soda and water will neutralize the acids of the bird poo. Even if the area looks good after polishing, the acid will continue to etch itself into the paint and return later with a vengance if it's not neutralized first.

Any good polish will remove the stain if you apply some good old fashioned elbow grease. The clay bar will also work well.

If you remove the stripes at this point, it's not very likely you'll be able to eliminate the shadow effect that is bound to be there after five years. Replacing the stripe would be the best option stopping short of respraying the bonnet.

5. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Just so you know it only takes about 10 seconds for bird poo to etch your paint. With 4 to 5 hours and probably sunlight adding to it, chances are you have some deeper etchings, though not necessarily irreparable, just deeper than something that sat for a few seconds and was washed off.

Honestly clay bar will do very little about etchings. Clay removes bonded contaminants and etchings are.

The upper right corner of this image shows what a bird poo etching magnified 400x looks like. They looks like craters or pock marks.

[​IMG]

Note that applying a wax won't "remove the marks". It has the potential to mask them if the wax contains enough fillers, but the only way to "remove" an etching is to level the paint through machine polishing or a combination of wetsanding and polishing.

Prima has 4 polishes.
    Prima Cut
    Prima Swirl
    Prima Finish
    Prima Amigo

These are listed in order of most aggressive to least. It's possible that Cut with a yellow or orange pad on a PC will help you, but it doesn't sound like you have a PC (Porter Cable Dual Action Random Orbital Polisher), so the Prima advice or any polishing advice won't really apply.

Banana Gloss is an excellent wax with fillers in it that might marginally improve the etchings. I found some bird poo on my black roof last week, and lightly sanded it with 2500 grit paper and buffed it out so it's perfect now. Can't do that too many times though, but I knew what I was doing since I'm a Pro.

Cleaning 5 year old stripes? That's really past the life of outdoor vinyl. You're not going to find an effective way to clean them. Replacing them is better. Stripes can be improved through polishing. I'd use a PC with a white pad and Prima Swirl. But again without a polisher, you can't do that.

Richard
    (Resident Paint Guru)

6. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    If you are going to polish the paint, I would wash and clean the area first, and possibly use a paint cleaner like Prima Amigo as an interim step. You're not going to have any further issues with "acids" from the bird poo if you've thoroughly prepped the paint.

I would disagree that clay bar would remove a stain, unless the stain was not a physical etching but contamination that wasn't being removed through cleaning.

Also, the "shadow effect" is most noticeable on metallics. A greater reason for this existing is that the paint under the vinyl hasn't been subjected to abuse or neglect so it looks better than the exposed areas. Polishing can greatly minimize the difference to the point it will be very subtle.

Richard

7. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]I'm a firm believer that having a good quality sealant/wax applied, will help prevent bird poop, and most other contaminants from hurting your paint.

Mark

8. travis2

travis2 New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the replies.

Seems a bit crazy to have to extend this much effort on a pretty common occurrence. Guess it was not my lucky day - have never seen this kind of paint impact on any of my previous cars.

Not sure I am ready to invest in a PC, but maybe I will. I'll start with some polish and see how it goes.

Thanks for the tips on the stripes. I typically remove any vinyl stripes on cars that I purchase new for this reason. Stripes should be painted :)

--travis

9. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Bird poo etchings are NOT a MINI specific issue. This happens on any vehicle but the thing is that we're not as crazy about the paint finish on most other cars so we don't notice them as much. Etchings are especially visible on dark colored cars.

Here's a red 2004 BMW that I polished out, two weeks later it came back for a wash, and I found this new etching from bird poo..the car sat at the dealership for repairs one day.

[​IMG]

10. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Question.
    My MINI gets hit with all kinds of bird crap, sometimes it is washed off as soon as I see it, sometimes I look at it for days before removing it, and I have never found an etching from bird poo, how come?

Mark

11. Octaneguy

Octaneguy New Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Dream job
    Anaheim, CA
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I've found that it makes a huge difference what kind of food those birds are eating. Here in the city, the worst are the pigeons feeding off the burger restaurants. Their poo is caustic.

Consider yourself lucky never having to deal with etchings, lol. For me, if they occur, a little wetsanding takes them away, but that's just me, lol.

Richard

12. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Does not seem to matter if the poo is from city birds, or their country cousins:lol:

Poco has been hit with everything from pigeon guano, to fishy pelican anal slop, to finch feces, plus splattered the odd full bird, no lasting effects:D

Mark

13. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    It sounds like the word is out. The birds have seen how much time you spend waxing Poco and apparently you are on their "hit list". LOL

14. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    I think all those coats of protection are what keep the bird poop from harming the paint.

Mark

15. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    I avoid parking under trees at all cost :D

16. moreorless

moreorless New Member

Aug 17, 2009
    In a pile of sawdust.
    Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    When I did my MCS a couple of weeks ago, the hood had a few poop etchings.

But a little time with the PC and Swirl removed every single one of them.

As we'll be heading for the Outer Banks in a few weeks I think I'll subscribe to lotsie's premise that the extra layers of protection are doing just that.

So, I'll be applying Epic a couple of more times before we go.

17. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Has worked for me:Thumbsup:

Problem with Pelican poop, is they don't sit in trees, and it's big poop:lol:

Mark