1st Gen R52 Cooper Convertible Soft top stuck closed on drivers side

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by alwzopn, Jun 26, 2011.

1. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    ::facepalm::

One minute it was working, the next I couldn't get the drivers side to open in the usual "sunroof" operation. :(

I watched the mechanism on both sides while pressing the open and closed buttons a bunch of times. It doesn't exactly sound like a cable is disconnected, and I see a tiny bit of movement near the latch at the front.

I think something might be jammed though, because I noticed yesterday that something was misaligned on that side - the front edge of the top has been scraping the back of the rear headrests.

Guess my first stop tomorrow morning on the way to work will be the dealer...

2. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    LaLaLand, Left Coast, Overpopulated and Underfunde
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    This was a common problem with the first gen 'verts. Your sunroof carriage is broken and will need to be replaced by the dealer. I assume you are out of warranty, but you should have a good case to have it done on their dime as I believe this was a design flow that warranted a SB.

3. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    The dealer said the sunroof assembly will need to be replaced and that it will be about $3000 with labor. They also said that they won't cover it even though I've only had the car for a month and it's clearly been a problem since before they sold it to me.

Kind of shitty that this is a common issue and that the best they offered was to "help me out" with the labor costs.

I'm hoping that I can open up the mechanism and fix the cable end like I've seen on YouTube. Assuming, of course, that the cable end crimp is the problem.

4. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    Good luck. I am under impression that something actually gets irreparably twisted. If you're going to try a DYI, pictures would be greatly appreciated.

5. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm referring to this video, only because I haven't really seen any other information on it - seems to be a difficult subject to get reliable search results for.

Do you know which part is the one that gets damaged/twisted? I think this is just a repair to the bad crimp on the end of the bowden cable connecting the latches to the electric motor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1HCxc5vLDw]YouTube - ‪Mini Cooper Convertible Top Repair Part 1‬‏[/ame]

6. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    No idea. I was under warranty when mine went, so the dealer took care of it.

7. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    This is what I repaired today. The cable end on the right had pulled out of the crimp in the part on the left.

Attached Files:

8. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Okay the JB Weld failed and I bought a new set of cables so I could just replace the bad one. Now the sunroof opens.

Trouble is, now the rest of the top won't retract...

I've checked all the switches in the boot multiple times. It opens the sunroof fully, then a red light comes on at the top control buttons and the top won't retract. If I keep my finger on the retract button, then press the close button, it makes a sound like the hydraulics are operating but nothing happens.

A few google searches have come up with stories of folks who needed the dealer to perform some sort of reset or re-initializaton procedure to clear a fault. Has anyone had this happen to them?

9. goaljnky

goaljnky New Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Ratings:
    +394 / 0 / -0
    I wish I could help, but you're way past anything I've had my hand in.

10. Mithra

Mithra New Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    question

Alwzopn, would you be able to assist me with a part number for the mini soft top cables you purchased?

Visited the dealer today and we could not find that specific part in the diagrams.

The dealer tells me the entire cassette has to be replaced for $3,000.00.

Thank you.

11. alwzopn

alwzopn New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Home Page > Search > 54347174761 > ES#158840 Sunroof Mechanism / Convertible Top Cable Set - 54347174761

[​IMG]

This is the part I replaced. It comes as a pair, but if one side goes, you really should replace both while you're at it - it's easier to replace the cable when it's working than when it's not, so the good side will go quicker than the bad side.

Be sure to use blue locktite on the screws/bolts when you put them back in - they're easy to strip if you overtighten them, but they need to stay put or the rails and parts will get out of alignment.

12. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Don't know if you checked prices with our site sponsors, but a quick check will show a $60 savings using them rather than the example presented. They tend to support the MINI community better than others..... At least that's my experience.....:Thumbsup:

That $60.00 could then go towards moar MINI stuff.....:D Just sayin.....

13. davavd

davavd Club Coordinator

May 7, 2009
    Architect
    Covington, La
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I found a mini tech who did this for me on the weekend - $1800 for the part, $600 for labor, as I recall. Still hurt, though.

14. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    Ouch... Would he have still done the work if you had supplied the part? Probably not, he was making it on both ends..... :cryin: