Interior 1st Gen Speedometer trim rings

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by bigsteverealtor, Feb 20, 2014.

1. bigsteverealtor

bigsteverealtor New Member

Feb 20, 2014
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okay does anyone know how the speedometer trim ring on a '06 is removed? I have had success removing the AC vents next to it but all the twisting pushing and prodding nothing gives on the speedo. I keep seeing the instructions and videos saying that you have to remove the center dash and unglue it from the back. With that said the guy I bought these from told me that he just pulled them off and no it isn't a slip over ring, I checked. I watched on youtube a electronics place in Cali. showing how to remove the nav unit. Well in it they remove the dash panels and then poof the ac and the center trim rings are gone and they then just pop off the button surrounds and move on to the screws removing the dash panel. So which is it?????:mad2::mad2::mad2:

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Welcome, thanks for joining Motoring Alliance, the FUN and Friendly MINI Community.

That youtube from the electronics place in Cali is probably the one by rkw.

Might want to send him a private message through the site pointing out this thread to him.

3. rkw

rkw Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    San Francisco
    Ratings:
    +449 / 0 / -0
    I've never made a YouTube video for this.

Try the instructions here (post #66): http://www.motoringalliance.com/forums/interior/2773-dash-dissasmbly-how-2.html#post25386
    Also look at the rest of that thread for more information.

To give you a point of reference, the center dash panel is one piece (black and painted sections together), and the speedo ring snaps onto it by friction fit. I have pictures of the speedo ring itself in my gallery: http://www.motoringalliance.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/586

[​IMG]

I've heard someone say that they had a chrome speedo ring and it was glued on. If the ring doesn't simply pull off, you'll have to remove the center dash panel piece.

4. N2MINI

N2MINI MINI of the Month

Dec 4, 2009
    Sign Maker
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    I thought once you had all that kinda loose that the big ring would rotate/spin off. Do know that with the factory cup holder sitting up that high that if you get a drink to splashing around it ends up right under that ring on the little shelf like area and will make it hard to rotate/spin..

5. TheModFather

TheModFather Well-Known Member

May 15, 2012
    11 years in the ARMY, 2 years of being a multitale
    North Denver CO.
    Ratings:
    +5,322 / 0 / -0
    Yes you do need to pull the center dash section to remove the big ring. There are a few clips that need pulled up all at the same time to get it loose.

Funny I found this thread, I am pulling all my trim tomorrow, and getting it ready for paint. Not for me though, they will be mailed out and swapped for genuine chromeline pieces.

:)