Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Spring Rates

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by KC Jr 54, May 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Purpose of car: DD (30-40 miles a week) and auto-x (getting serious) and also wish to do track events in the future. Full weight MINI and will stay as such for a while to come. The most amount of weight i will loose in the near future is 200lbs off the car. (sunroof, rear seats, front seats, driver weight reduction)

Current set-up: AST 4100 w/ Swift 6k 8" springs all the way around. Currently auto-xing on 245-50-15 Hoosier r6, with plans to do 275-35-15 next season. I currently have a H-Sport 25.5mm rear sway, with considerations to use their front sway as well.

Looking to go stiffer as i get a considerable amount of body roll, and front end dive atm.

Spring rate i am considering ATM an 8kgF and 10kgR set-up, but not sure if slightly stiffer all the way around would be better. I am trying to avoid buying springs repeatedly as my budget just will not allow that, so i am trying to get as close to optimal as i can.

I am also strongly considering sticking with Swift, as there is a VERY noticeable difference in ride quality with them, so it makes driving to and from events a little more tolerable.

Any and ALL input is appreciated.

Thanks !

-Ken

2. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    You did not say what you wanted out of your car. I have TSW V-3s with 400 lbs springs all around, and a 19mm bar. I can get my car to oversteer by backing off the throttle. For just autocrossing I have a set of 500 lbs springs. They make the car turn right now. I am a beginning autocrosser and haven’t been using them because I need to get some experience before stepping up to fly into the turn lift and plant the throttle again. I hope to get there but I can’t drive the car when it is so tail happy. With 400 lbs springs the car is very predictable.

3. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    This may sound crazy but you might want to stick to the stock springs or a only mildly harder one that gives a modest drop (1/2 in) then focus on the dampening. You're always gonna have some body roll and some front-end dive but if you slow the rate of those effects (better shock/struts) your turn-in and control will improve markedly and you can still use the car on a DD basis without beating yourself up. A little bit of swaybar in the back (19mm) will help turn-in. Just remember you get that extra turn in at the cost of rear grip.

4. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    What tires are you on currently ?

As of right now, i am aiming for better traction from the inside tire on exit. My rear bar is on full stiff, and only when entering corners at 45ish do i feel it get happy on me. Ive spun only 2-3 times, and one can be attributed to VERY cold tires. Even being an r6, once these things heat up, they stick extremely well on the right surface.

For reference: (supposedly inside front tire has come off the ground before, which apparently caused me to spin)
    [​IMG]

5. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #5 KC Jr 54, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

Thank you very much for the input, but your post was not helpful at all to me. In my original post i indicated my current suspension set-up which is FAR from stock. You are almost suggesting i go back to stock or just short of it... :mad2:

Stock spring rates are in the 160ft/lb range i think ?

This is NOT the fastest way around an auto-x course:

[​IMG]

Please continue with the educated input (whats awesome about MA), as i plan on placing my order Friday.

6. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What makes you think the inside rear wheel needs to be on the ground to be fast?

7. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    #7 KC Jr 54, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    What makes you think carrying the inside wheel most corners makes you fast ?

LoL I mean, really what kind of question is that ?

8. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    A legit one.....:rolleyes5:

I was just wondering what you know that the professional teams don't cause you will see that in just about every single front wheel drive race car. The rear tires don't have a lot to do on a front wheel drive car.

The lifted inner rear tire is an indication that the front sway bar is too small to keep the rear on the ground. The problem with that is that as soon as you increase the front bar to compensate for this you start inducing understeer.

Suspension set-up is a compromise. What do you want... great turn in, a bit of understeer or an inner rear tire on the ground.

9. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    :confused5::confused5:

I've never seen a prepped Civic going around a corner that didn't look like a dog taking a piss.

10. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
  11. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, I saw that you were DD'ing the car and "getting" serious about AutoX. Hence my advice.

I will keep my uneducated input to myself.

12. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0

Ok, well i guess it has become very clear i will most likely no get my original question answered. Sad b/c it was a damn simple one...

If the inner rear wheel is coming off the ground, there is more at work then just the front sway bar ;) (soft front springs maybe !?) There are a lot of theories about what works best, and please consider the fact i will be doing auto-x primarily with a track day or two in my future (two entirely different set-ups).

Soooooo anyone on MY original question, or is this going to be a typical thread in the MINI community ?

13. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    The biggest single thing to improve the handling of a MINI or any other limited travel strut suspension car is to keep the car off the bump stops. To do that you need enough spring. The stock set up uses soft springs to be compliant over bumps. The shock forces are often more than the forces of the springs, and one of the differences between the more expensive shocks and the less expensive shocks is the more expensive ones are digressive. Shocks affect handling at low shaft speeds. Shock absorber shaft velocity or speed is fast over bumps and slower in roll. The force increases at a linear rate on most shocks. Digressive shocks high forces at low speed, but do not increase in a linear rate. The advantage is the ride will not suffer as much. Picking the inside rear wheel off the ground is the result of the car reaching the limit of rear roll stiffness. The rear bar forces are exceeding the weight on the tire. Having all four tires on the ground is better. A tire can’t develop any traction if it is up in the air. How many F-1 cars have you seen cornering on three wheels? To increase the rear roll stiffness (tune the car looser or to over steer) use stiffer rear springs. A tire will develop a specific amount of traction. You can use the available traction to accelerate, brake or corner. If you use more than one at a time the available grip is divided between the two. Front wheel drive cars have the vast majority of the weight on the front tires, and work the front tires a lot more than the rear tires. To reduce the cars tendency to under steer increase the rear roll stiffness. That is why it is a popular modification to increase the rear bar size. If you want to go really fast on a autocross course get the car loose enough that the car turns with very little turning of the steering wheel. Less turning makes more traction available to corner.

14. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Sorry you took it that way, as it was not intended. It was a compliment towards MA, hence why i have this thread here and not the sewing site.

I would sincerely appreciate you reading EVERYTHING i typed before answering though, just so you dont waste your time entirely.

15. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Carl, thank you VERY much for post, as it has been by far the best in this thread.

Care to weight in about the springs rates that i should consider ? Mind you the car will likely only ever be down to 2700ish w/ driver. Thanks very much !

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Sorry but we are all trying to help. Spring rates are not the only thing you need to consider. Did you check out the link I posted? Yes it is from a PC race sim, but the physics are real world. It has some of the best info on what different suspension setting will do to a car. Simply wanting to get the tire back on the ground is not going to make you faster. You say you have the rear bar set at the max, this is also contributing to the tire coming off of the ground.

Like I said before, suspension set-ups are all about compromises.

17. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Thankfully this wasnt the only place i posted this question. Thankfully another forum (non-mini) did aid me in my decision, and ill be able to place my order tomorrow.

Keeping the rear tire on the ground isnt my only goal, and really is a by-product of my goals, i made that clear in my original post.

Sincerely though, thanks for the sim, could help in the future.

FYI to interested parties that are reading this and may have similar questions, i am going to 10k (550lb/in) all the way around, which is up from 6k (330lb/in) all the way around. It was suggested i go higher, but 10k is the limit i should explore until my struts/shocks are rebuilt for higher spring rates. The fact i am on a stock FSB was also a determining factor.

18. CarlB

CarlB Active Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    I haven’t tried a lot of different rate springs on my car. Dr. Mike picked out mine, and I have been very happy. I mainly adjust the balance with front rebound, and rear ride height. I do not change it much or very often. The car is very predictable and easy to drive. Given my autocross skill level I think I am better off concentrating on my driving and not adjusting on the car. Spring rates are a combination of personal feel, driving style, and keeping the car suspended. Once you have achieved keeping the car off the bump stops the next step is balancing the handling with roll stiffness. Keeping the rear wheel on the ground does make a difference. What the circle track racers call wedge is affecting the handling. A tire will develop more grip on softer springs, but the affect is marginal in comparison to the drivers sense of control. Some of us are more aggressive with the car and like higher spring rates.

19. Mrsideways

Mrsideways New Member

Apr 12, 2010
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -1
    For autox you want to set the car up steady state loose so my rule of thumb for a FWD car for autox set up is usually about 1/3rd more rear spring then front. For track unless you enjoy driving sideways with your foot in it to keep it from coming around you'll wanna calm it down. I'm doing an R56 with square spring rates in a few weeks and a big rear bar for track, the customer doesn't do particularly well with a loose car so we're gonna try to make it still handle well but be a touch on the tight side. I'll see how that is and adjust as needed. Key to autox is you want the thing to transition very well and ALWAYS turn. It's tricky to make a car have a load of front end grip but not want to point backwards in transitions. Your doing the right thing running AST's thought!

20. KC Jr 54

KC Jr 54 New Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Machine Operator
    Tyler, TX
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Carl and Ian, i just wanted to say thank you VERY much for the input. Ill reply in proper form when i recover from work. Thanks again guys.