Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Sprint Booster

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by WJHMH, Jan 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. WJHMH

WJHMH New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Rock & Roll Clown
    Panther City. TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I got it in the mail Saturday from Way Motor Works & installed it yesterday within 10 minutes. This product gave me phenomenal improvement in my throttle response & corrected the well known lag most Mini Coopers are known for. This being the updated version, has three different settings so it's not always set in the maximum mode as the earlier units came from the factory. This will come in handy just in case you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic so you can set it back to stock mode where the the response isn't so sensitive. If anyone is considering this product I highly recommend this for anyone that wants to bring new life to their 2000+ vehicle's throttle response.

Have fun!

SprintBooster Power Converter - www.SprintBoosterSales.com

2. Way Motor Works

Way Motor Works New Member

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    Glad we got it there so quick and your loving it. We've had great responce with the adjustable version.

3. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    OK, I'll bite. What's the difference between this and just engaging the sport button?

4. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Try as I may I've yet to find the Sport Button on the R50/52/53's. :ihih:

5. lotsie

lotsie Club Coordinator

May 5, 2009
    stagehand/part time detailer
    Right here
    Ratings:
    +401 / 0 / -0
    Oh, I have one on my R50, it's the big bump on my right ankle.:arf:

Mark

6. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Got it...didn't realize it was a 1st Gen thing:blush2:

7. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    The Sprint Booster Works on All Model MINI's 1st Gen or 2nd Gen.

It does work alot like the sport mode button, but this only effects the throttle responce. The sport mode also effects the steering. When we put these on the R56's it gives you 6 different modes on throttle. Stock, stage 1,Stage2, sport mode only, sport+stage1, sport+stage2.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    They make them for both.

I'm not going to get into whole useful or not argument as that seems to be very balck and white, you either like it or hate it. I can understand the use, there is a reason lag is programed into the pedal. MINI has to set the car up to fit a wide range of users. This is a compromise they need to make. The Sport Button adds an option but also does a few other things. If I remember it also adds a little weight to the steering. There may be times when you want the added pedal attack but not the steering change.

The newer version with as many as 11 settings allow one to really tailor the feel to your needs.

9. WJHMH

WJHMH New Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Rock & Roll Clown
    Panther City. TX
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Big thanks again to Way Motor Works' über fast shipping & great deals, I didn't expect to get my items until Tuesday due to the MLK holiday. I'll be doing business with them again soon.

10. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ...like Nigel's amplifiers in Spinal Tap -- "it's one louder..." :eek:ut: :frown2:

11. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Can the same thing be accomplished with a tune?

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Sorta. During a tune session the slope can be adjusted, however it is "on" all the time once set. With some of these units one does have the ability to shut it off if desired.

13. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    That's what I thought. That's the route I'll probably try first, see what happens, as I'm hopefully going to get a bunch of stuff done and top it off with a tune anyway...

14. thejunkmonger

thejunkmonger New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wouldn't mind trying one out one day the lag on my second gen drives me nuts, before I bought this I had a classic mini. The only problem is the damn thing is too expensive, should cost no more than 80 to 100 bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    You may want to actually talk to the tuners (Jason @ Mynes) about this?
    Also I believe that Mini Mania will still let you purchase with a return if not happy with the sprint Booster??

If you were in the neighborhood I would let you try mine for a day. No one I ever let try it wanted to give it back to me. :lol:

16. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    It is a product with a market.....folks w/o a custom tune. The throttle response can be tweaked to your liking at a tuner.

17. Way Motor Works

May 4, 2009
    MINI Tuner
    Atlanta
    Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    I see your points on the ability to change the throttle maps with a custom tune. And I have been changing the throttle maps with all of my custom tunes. But the advantage I see with this new adjustable version is I can now give someone a good base throttle map and they can use the sprint booster to amplify it. Keeping the car easy to drive but giving them the ability to step it up. Cause in reality a real twitchy throttle in stop and go traffic can be a big pain.

18. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    So is my understanding correct that it doesn't increase horsepower or torque, it changes the driveability (so to speak) with the ability to choose several different "feels" where the Sport Mode Button gives us only the one "feel"?

19. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    A ECU re-mappers (tuners) that have the ability and knowledge to change the perimeter of throttle feel will/should tell you (at least the ones with actual hands on experience with the SPRINT BOOSTER) that even after any such changes a 10 minute installation of the Sprint Booster can augment those changes.

I offer again any MA Member to come by and I will not only loan mine for a day but install it on your MINI. Than you can come and post actual experienced information of a Sprint Booster!

There are at least 2 vendors here on MA that sell the Sprint Booster?

20. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Hey Lynn, I and hopefully a few other MidCal members are going to be going up to Santa Clara for the ABF Road Tour on March 6th & 7th. This date is tentative, but you should go meet up with us :cornut: Bring the Sprint booster and we can all try it out :yesnod: Bring your Mini too :ihih: