Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper S Sprintex - Where are we now with these?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Nathan, Nov 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Whats going on with the Sprintex?

This has the potential be quite the thread in epic forum asshattery. In order not to make it that way there are some ground rules and givens here.

1. We already know that RMW had their fun with and for the type of application (Race Car) it did not work out. We do not need a rehash of that again in this tread.

2. You should not report on any others car unless you played a significant role in the install and testing. Meaning, unless you were shop that did it and not someone that hangs out at a shop and looked over the shoulder of the person that really did the work you should keep quiet.

3. You should not report if the unit is sitting on your wine shelf, not in your MINI.

Basically you should only be participating in adding to content to this thread if you have a Sprintex on you car and it ran, at least around the block. Others may participate by asking about the installation, drive-ability, longevity and the like.

Stories of reported positive and/or negative results by third parties removed for the actual events are to be left out. We all know someone that knew a guy that may or may not have blown up 6 motors by tuning it himself on pure meth. Hersey has no place in this thread.

What I'd really like to know is rather simple. Is the Sprintex a viable solution?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Nathan, This is a great idea. (a thread with ground rules)

I for one look forward to reading all about actual Sprintex users feedback. (Good or bad)

3. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    #3 ColinGreene, Nov 25, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    Nathan please delete this post as i typed a response for the wrong thread, sorry!

4. BlwnAway

BlwnAway Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #4 BlwnAway, Nov 26, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
    Nate, here's a rehashed & Cliff Notes version of my experience:

The Kit:
    Very Complete, only needed to change one bolt for a shorter one and get a slightly longer hose for the W/P connection.

Installation:
    The instructions are very good, enabling anyone with an avg. amount of mechanical ability to perform the swap. (I went to my Bentley to look at the S/C swap details, and because the Sprintex instructions are so specialized I think they are actually easier to understand.) IMO, for a first timer, backyard mechanic, I would say realisticly 2 days (as long as you have the correct bolt & length of hose on hand), after doing it once, or a good qualified mechanic, one day no problem.
    (the instructions in my opinion have some un-ness. steps that any basic mechanic can see and work around.)

Useage:
    Once you've checked for problems, (leaks and other install related issues, if any) and are sure everything is OK.

Everyday: Get in it, drive it, enjoy the extra low end power. NO Tuning is Needed, but like any part change (change not swap), it couldn't hurt. The best I can do for everybody is try to get screen captures of my last M45 datalogs vs my first Sprintex datalog as far as true comparisons go, I was using the exact same tune for both, but I will need to know what people would like to see on the graph.

Performance: The only thing I can say for sure is that there is better mid-range power, that is very noticable right away, especially running hard through the gears or simply "high gear passing" on the highway.
    As far as overall performance, personally I can't say. I was having issues with my car before the M45 went out and of course am having, and are working through, the exact same issues now, and my car has NEVER (contrary to some reports) been tuned with the Sprintex, and untill it is I can't even come close to doing a comparison. In my case, I am still using the supplied 70mm pulley which is giving me boost levels between 15.5 & 17 psi. which is comparable to a 15% reduction pulley on an M45.
    As far as the use of either of the 2 available reduction/performance pulleys (64mm & 60mm), "To My knowledge", to date there has been 4 issues with cars using these pulley's. (2 engine failures, 1 strictly tuning related, 1 mechaniclly related having to do with an install, or mechanical change, not directly S/C related, 1 engine problem that was most likley there and simply enhanced by the extra boost created, and 1 basic S/C related problem ((drop in boost)), for which I've simply never heard wheather it was resolved or not.) There has been reports of other's but noone has come forward to substanciate these claims.
    As a side note, everyone using either of these 2 smaller pulley's should have or should be aware that besides voiding your Sprintex warranty, you are adding a considerable amount of boost to your engine and it should be in good working order and that extra boost may possibly enhanse pre-existing issues in your engine.)
    (Honestly this is only Common Sense that people seem to forget)

In my case, to date I have almost 3000 miles on the car with "0" S/C directly related prblems, and it's still cool to hear the w/p still running when you turn the car off.

5. ColinGreene

ColinGreene Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

May 15, 2009
    Male
    Orange county Ca
    Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    Blown, wasent your pre and post sprintex issue something to with a wonky cam?

6. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    As far as I know yes, but still haven't found out for sure do to complications with the install. (whole story in my M/U thread as of today) Hopefully there will be some answers by Wed.

7. Nitrominis

Nitrominis Banned

May 9, 2009
    Doing nothing
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Ratings:
    +61 / 0 / -0
    #7 Nitrominis, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2011
    Post removed by NF...

Did not follow the guidelines of the thread.

8. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    This has NOTHING to do with thread. If would have been removed if caught before it was answered.

To the jury...Ignore.

9. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Sorry Nate, I forgot the rules too......which thread is this again? :)

10. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    Cam change seems to have fixed my issues, gonna start working on the tuning and see what kind of results we can get.

11. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    I hope this question is pertinent......

I thought the benefit and advantage of the sprintex was to lower the temps involved with a MINOR increase in boost (for the standard pully size), is this correct?

12. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    What Cam were you using and removed?

13. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    #13 BlwnAway, Dec 2, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
    The real adavantage's as far as I can tell are theese:

*The power & torque comes on at a lower rpm
    *The design of a twin screw compressor allows for more efficient boost therefore not taking away as much from the engine to make the same amount of boost.
    *possibility of more boost overall than an M45 (the Sprintex has the potential of making 20+lb of boost)

So far the big arguement early on was that on the unit that Jan had (pre-production) there were heat issues, but I so far have not seen any when looking at my logs, now that my general running issues have apparently been resolved, we can start tuning and of course working the whole system a little harder, so now I can really see if my logs point to any heat related issues.
    Speaking of effeciency though it's actualy pretty aparent, take my setup for example, the 70mm, supplied pulley should give you approx the same boost as a 15% reduction pulley on an M45 but I'm actually peaking at 17 and holding steady above 16 which we speculate is do to me running a larger throttle body and allowing more air to flow into the s/c, I personally never got any more boost out of my M45 than I should have using the same setup.

As far as the cam, I was using the NS2, I was having issues with the everyday aspects of using it, not the perfomance, I've heard if this problem with other cam's also, from what I can assertain, it was just "That Cam" in "My engine" I've heard of others not having problems at all. (crap, off topic again....) See my M/U build thread if you have any more non-Sprintex related questions.

14. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #14 minimark, Dec 2, 2011
    Content of this post was removed...

2. You should not report on any others car unless you played a significant role in the install and testing. Meaning, unless you were shop that did it and not someone that hangs out at a shop and looked over the shoulder of the person that really did the work you should keep quiet.

15. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    #15 jiminni, Dec 2, 2011
    Whats going on with the Sprintex?

This has the potential be quite the thread in epic forum asshattery. In order not to make it that way there are some ground rules and givens here.

1. W
    e already know that RMW had their fun with and for the type of application (Race Car) it did not work out. We do not need a rehash of that again ,

16. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Golly gee....I went out for a few hours. Give me a break, there is no possible way we can watch this 24/7.

17. minimark

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    #17 minimark, Dec 2, 2011
    Considering the previous post and his experiences, I thought an actual dyno chart from another Sprintex equipped Mini was germane to the conversation even if it wasn't from my personal car. It also illustrated what temp changes occurred on this car during the dyno.

Apologize if it was outside the thread guidelines.:Thumbsup:

18. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    Directed at me?

19. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    As far as mine goes, now that all of my non-s/c related issues are gone, I'm working on my tuning, (slow process, doing it on the street & not on the dyno, but it's coming along), and as far as everyday goes, just start it and drive it, no different than the M45.

For me, wheather the #'s themselves are better or not, I still have had no S/C related problems and love the way the car drives, even with only the 70mm pulley, (I'm changing to the 64mm in the spring)
    Even now, with the tuning not done and the factory LSD, I litterally have NO traction in 1st gear @ WOT anywhere over 20mph, and ton's of wheel spin on hard shifts into second. This thing is loads of fun, can't wait to get the tweaks done and eventually change the pulleys.

20. BlwnAway

Nov 24, 2011
    Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    I'm passing along some updates do here's one for you guy's too.

Car is still running great, tuning is coming along slowly but surely, because of my Bytronik F/A I'm able to use the Virtual Dyno program to check my progress.

This is where I'm at now, as you'll be able to see I still have a way's to go but it looks very promising, esp. with the amount of boost I'm getting. (70mm pulley) Also as you can tell I need to get my AFR's up above 6800rpm before I do anymore hard pulls.

Here's the screen shot from the V/D with the Mustang setrings:

3rd_Gear_Mustang_12-29-11.jpg

And just for comparison here's the exact same log file with the Dynojet settings:

3rd_Gear_Mustang_12-29-11.jpg

All of the weights and corrections are as acurate as I can get them for now.