2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Sputtering Engine

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by bezoar, Nov 8, 2011.

1. bezoar

bezoar New Member

May 14, 2011
    Physician Assistant in Emergency Medicine
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have a 2011 Cooper S (1.6 Liter turbocharged Peugeot). I have about 2700 miles [no I don’t drive it enough :)]. Lately when starting out from a parking space, after the car has been sitting for awhile, I have to rev the engine while letting the clutch out to keep it from stalling. Once I start out at slow speed the engine bucks and if I push the clutch in, the engine backfires and sputters. Once out on the open road and I run it through the gears for a few minutes, this problem is gone. Is this just a quirk with this engine or do I have something to worry about?

2. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Almost sounds like it needs a good old fashioned Italian Tune Up!

Check the oil level, let the car warm up and then drive it like ya stole it. See if that helps.

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    This doesn't sound normal to me, but I've got the older R53 MINI.

With only 2700 miles and a year or two on the clock, I'd take it back in to a dealer and have them diagnose the problem. I'd be thinking about one of the O2 sensors when the engine is cold, but they usually don't fail this early. Perhaps something in the ignition system... you could check that all of the spark plug wires are firmly connected on each end.

4. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    This doesn't sound normal at all to me..... I have an '09 S which should have the same engine and that has NEVER happened to me.

5. Gil-galad

Gil-galad Club Coordinator

May 19, 2009
    Male
    Decorah, IA
    Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    Actually, it IS a different engine. You have the N14, and the OP has the N18 like me.

Nevertheless, I agree that it doesn't seem normal. Certainly nothing I've experienced in my '11 MCS. Probably worth getting it checked out to see if codes are being thrown. I'm guessing HPFP, a bad batch of fuel, or Nathan's diagnosis.

6. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    Actually it sounds like a bad calibration from the N18 "Valvetronic" controls for cold start Perhaps it's leaving the throttle body in the incorrect position (full open?) on start-up versus the 1/3 - 1/2 open it should be. Just a guess.

They really are the same basic engine. THe N14 is just TB driven versus the N18 being "Valvetronic".

No matter what that is a definite trip back to the dealer. It's not normal or okay.

7. kent kanipe

kent kanipe New Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Retired
    Corvallis, Oregon
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Back to the dealer I say! My 2011 has approx. 13,500 miles and never so much as a hiccup. The car has been perfect. It uses a very small amount of oil, but certainly is not an oil burner. I drive it street hard on back country roads. Is there such a thing as "street hard"? Guess that might be illegal, yet I do hold my lane. Might well do my first track run at MINI Thunder. Always blessings to count I suppose....

Kent

8. bezoar

bezoar New Member

May 14, 2011
    Physician Assistant in Emergency Medicine
    Campbellsville, KY
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    thanks to all who offered insight. Dealership sounds like the best bet for me.

9. yardofbeef

yardofbeef New Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Bump. What was the diagnosis?

10. Mononoke

Mononoke New Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Aircraft technician.
    Las Vegas
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    You know... This has happened to me more than a couple times. My car would sputter after sitting in the driveway for a few days. These were also colder days, about 30f outside. So far it has happened only maybe three times. The car drives fine, but I thought this was unusual.