2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Sputtering on start

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by christopherrobin, Dec 20, 2012.

1. christopherrobin

christopherrobin New Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Taking care of my husband...it IS a full time job!
    TEXAS
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello, I hope I am posting this in the right place, I am new to the forum.
    Here is my dilemma: I have had my Mini for 18 months and it was purchased new. At about 5000 miles (when he was a year old), the car started sputtering when the engine was cold. I took it to my Mini dealership and they stated they could not find anything wrong with it as it did not "throw any codes" when they checked it. I brought it back yesterday, (18 months old) as it is still sputtering upon start. It never stopped.

I only run the highest octane gas and only from major companies; Shell, Exxon, Mobil. The sputtering stops after I have backed the car out of the garage and start driving. This does not happen at any time except in the morning. It happens in summer and winter.

Can anyone suggest what they think it could be? It is not a major problem, but it seems unusual. I only have 9000 miles on the clock, so I didn't know if that could be the problem...the car sitting for too long before operating.

It is not an S model and it is an automatic.

Thank you,
    Christopherrobin

2. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Could it be a high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) gone bad?

3. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Does a justa have a HPFP?

4. eMINIparts

eMINIparts Well-Known Member
    Motoring Alliance Sponsor

Mar 13, 2012
    MINI Parts Advisor
    Bedford NH
    Ratings:
    +1,090 / 0 / -0
    No ...It does not.

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    ^^^ Thanks one less thing to worry about on the wife's R55 Justa. :D

6. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Was this ever solved?? Just curious as my 07 s does the same thing intermittently.

7. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have an 07S that had the same issue every once and a while.

It's been a couple years since the issue was fixed and I'm going by memory.

Brought the car into the dealer during winter (I live in Wisconsin) and they said the way the intake manifold was designed moisture gets trapped after you shut the car off and freezes something shut which results in the car not starting or sputtering upon start-up.

The dealer said this wasn't a recall and were fixing on a case by case basis. There was no charge for the fix.

They said cars in warmer climates would not be fixed.

If you live in a region that is colder than usual this winter or just moved to a cold climate I'm betting this is your problem.

8. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    The next question would be, what is their "fix". I am cool with a dealership or shop fixing something for free. But I'm also a DIY car enthusiast, not a soccer mom. So "it's fixed" isn't good enough for me lol. Not that I need to to the work myself every time, but I'm not entirely satisfied with "You had a problem, we fixed it, here's your car". I like to know exactly what they did to my car.

With that said, did they ever explain what the fix was? Thanks for the reply! The fact that it has done it on these 5-20 degree days makes sense that it's a cold weather concern, not a major every day concern.

9. Wisc07S

Wisc07S New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm 100% DIY unless they do it for free! I actually didn't complain about the problem, the tech noticed it. This is directly from the service record.

Tech states engine ran rough after sitting outside. Cause: moisture.

1161551 Replacing intake manifold 44WMINI 0.13

1 11-61-4-584-240 intake manifold: 116010

57301 Iced Throttle 1161551 1.30 0.13 found moisture down by throttle. Did an alcohol fuel test which was good at 10% so I (tech) replaced the throttle and performed ice clearing procedure. One time international autos GOODWILL CLAIM.

Hopefully this helps.

10. InjectedGT

InjectedGT New Member

Feb 15, 2013
    Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    oh nice, they did detail it. so they replaced the entire intake manifold too? nice.