2nd Gen R56 Cooper S Sputtering

Discussion in '2nd Generation: 2007+ R55 through R61' started by itsmewutup, Nov 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    So a couple weeks ago the Mini decided it didn't want to accelerate quickly. It runs fine otherwise and can still go fast enough, I just can't punch it without it sputtering and me and the CEL blinking. After I punch it, it decides not to run well but as long as I don't it runs fine. I pulled a couple codes and got a P115c as well as a p1497. Pulled something that said misfire in #3. Changed the plugs thinking that might help. It didn't. Saw some things where ppl said it may need a new valve cover and/or gasket. Any ideas or suggestions please let me know, thanks in advance.

08 MCS 6spd Manual

2. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #2 Jason Montague, Nov 14, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    :cornut: Has it been checked for carbon on the intake valves? Is the fuel filter okay/clean? Plenty of pressure coming from the fuel pump? Just for cheap starters that'll clean the injectors and perhaps the fuel filter, dump a can of Techron or Seafoam in the almost empty gas tank. Fill her up with 93 octane and drive her very spiritedly for the whole ~12gal.:Thumbsup:

Jason

115c- airflow too low- check air filter and hoses to the turbocharger for leaks or collapse of hose
    1497- downstream air leak- check hoses from turbo to inter cooler and from inter cooler to the head for leaks.

3. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I knew it would need the carbon cleanup soon. Didn't know it would cause it to run like it does though. I've been told by quite a few that seafoam is just a waste of money and that you're better off doing a walnut blaster.

4. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Yeah the Techron or Seafoam suggestion was for injectors and fuel filter. DON'T forget those codes that I've listed that you gave us and my explanation of what they reveal and what should be checked. My Margi(08 R56 MCS/JCWm) has 75kmi on her but she has had the PREVENTATIVE Oil Catch Can and every 3kmi Seafoam treatments during most of those miles which is why she's never had that problem. Once the problem is already there then only physical removal of the carbon deposits will solve the problem.:Thumbsup:

Jason

5. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Oh ok my bad lol. So its more preventative than able to actually get rid of the problem. I have used some seafoam though in the past couple months, did it 3 times. Do you know of any DIY carbon cleans and about how long it would take? I have done some work on it (replaced thermostat housing which was a pita) so I'm not afraid to get down into some of it but not sure about the manifold. And yes, I do plan to check my hoses and see if they have any problems.

6. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #6 Jason Montague, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    :cornut: Yes there is a nice write up in the forums with how to's(at home/shade tree) and small blasters available for purchase at reasonable prices, photos the whole deal but I can't find it. One of the forum/computer savy people will probably come along soon,find it, and embed it in a post for you to merely 'click on.' I'm computer challenged as it were. Good Luck!:Thumbsup:

Jason

Keep bumping your post once daily and they'll find it for you. Also as prevention goes(once the heavy deposits are gone) Seafoam is only half of the fix. An Oil Catch Can is the other half to catch the blow by in the R56 N14 engine(07-09 inclusive). It must be a good OCC with internal separation and baffles to condence the blow by and hold it in the can. Also a dual port block off valve should be used to force all of the blow by into the OCC. The brand of both that I have is BSH that are sold here on MA by several of our sponsors.

7. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the insight. Makes alot more sense to me now. I'd also like to add that I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one with an 08 with that amount of mileage. Everyone in my local area has such low mileage it makes me feel like I drive too much. One of the guys with an 02 just hit 100k not too long ago. I've got 73.5k right now.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
  9. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Can't thank you enough. That is one of the best DIY guides I've ever seen.

10. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    #10 Jason Montague, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    :cornut: MM thank you very much. Your kindness is surpassed only by your knowledge.(yeah-I'm serious):Thumbsup:

Jason

11. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Well I did a carbon clean today (that was all kinds of fun) and still getting some sputtering. Its basically anytime I step on it, but I can let off just a bit and step on it again and it quits sputtering. I'm at a loss for what is. Any insight would be appreciated.

12. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: If you've done all of the things that we previously listed then, it's time to see an experienced MINI shop. List your location and some of the MA people in that area will come up and tell you the closest reliable shop.:Thumbsup:

Jason

13. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    I've checked everything. I know of a shop in my area with a guy that worked at the dealership previously and is certified. I just basically was trying to get out of paying a mechanic lol. Also I reset all my trouble codes and waiting to see if anything pops back up when I drive it later.

14. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Correction. I forgot about the fuel filter. That'll be next.

15. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have any suggestions for replacing the downstream o2 sensor with something that isn't ridiculously priced?

16. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
  17. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    If you don't mind slightly used then yes. I happen to have one in my desk drawer that has about 5k miles on it. Since I went with a long tube race header I needed longer leads. Someone made them for me on new O2 sensors so the one from my car has been sitting in a box in my desk ever since.

How about $100 shipped via Priority Mail?

Part # is 11 78 0 872 674

18. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a deal. How would you like the payment?

19. itsmewutup

itsmewutup New Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    New fuel filter installed today. No more sputtering!!

20. Jason Montague

Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: I'm so glad that things are working out for you.:Thumbsup:

Jason