Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Squeak from rear suspension just before coming to a stop

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by fishmonger, Aug 26, 2015.

1. fishmonger

fishmonger Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I've noticed a noise coming from the rear of the car over the last few drives. It only happens when the car is about to come to a stop, probably when the rear is raised a little by that final stopping weight transfer to the front. Squeak isn't quite the right term. Aching? binding? almost like a door hinge that's not lubed.

New BC coilovers, new Helix lower trailing arms, new roll bar bushings and lubed, new Whiteline downlinks properly adjusted for drop. It didn't do this before these changes with crappy worn out suspension.

Normal? Worry about it? Could it be the brakes (oldest part in the rear?)

I can force the sound in reverse using the parking brake as well, when the car settles, so I assume this is spring related. BCs with Swift springs make that kind of noise, or is something not bolted up tight enough? There is very little articulation happening when the noise happens. Not a hard stop at all, just gently tapping the brake from 2mph will do it. I checked everything last time I had it on jack stands since I don't trust the alignment guy to tighten stuff, and it all appeared snug.

2. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    First, do a nut-and-bolt on all suspension and brake parts in the rear. It's not as time consuming as it seems. Then, have an assistant rock the car side-to-side to see if they can produce the noise. if so, lie down and feel various suspension parts with your hand (control arms, brake calipers, shocks) to try to feel where the noise is coming from. Obviously, be careful.

3. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    Good point on trying to replicated the noise by rocking the car while stopped - that would then probably rule out the brakes. Not sure how to get under the car to touch anything when somebody is rocking it. I don't have a pit nor enough ramps to put it on while level. May try a setup with jack stands in front while the rears are on the ramps I have, plus jacks for safety (hate ramps). Obviously, first I have to see if I can actually replicate the sound by rocking the car. I have never heard it at any other time than just before stop, forward or reverse. Never at speed, even bigger dips and bumps.

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    Might also be a spring just slightly off of the perch notch? Drop link loose? Put the car in gear and set parking brake and see if you can hear anything while trying to rock it side to side AND front to back.

5. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    With the car lifted and no weight on the rear tires, rear suspension extended fully, is there any play in the springs. They should contact the top and bottom with no play.

6. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I won't be able to look at any of this before Saturday, so can't answer. The springs had no play when I installed them, but then I dropped the car a little, so there's a chance that play got back in there. I think it was only 1/4" in the rear and only on one side. Springs may have settled now, too. Got maybe 500 miles on them.

7. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    a quick bounce test on the rear bumper - no sound, moving fenders and rocking side to side, no sound. going inside and bouncing on the loading area/rear seat area does sound a little like what I hear when stopping, but not clear where it emits from and if it really is the same sound. with or without parking brake pulled same result. Will have to jack it up and check springs, bolts, etc.

8. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I know you said you lubed them... but poly swaybar bushings (I assume that's what you have) are NOTORIOUS for making these kinds of noises, even when you think you've lubed them enough... mine were driving me nuts for a while last year...

But not ruling out any of the other suggestions, either.

9. myles2go

myles2go Active Member

May 7, 2012
    collecting a paycheck
    WI
    Ratings:
    +263 / 0 / -1
    After about 8000 miles or more on mine, I had no settling of the swift springs.

Paul brings up a good point, the sway bar bushings could cause this noise. I also wouldn't rule out brake noise.

10. fishmonger

May 13, 2015
    Madison, WI
    Ratings:
    +895 / 0 / -0
    I can squeeze some fresh grease into the sway bar bushings when I jack up the car. I made sure the new mounts had those nifty grease nipples.

The sound I hear definitely could be bushings, and the time you hear it is probably when both sides get lifted up under the weight transfer to the front.