Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Squeakity-squeak, squeak?

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by ImagoX, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Both my 05 cabrio and Amy's 04 hardtop are squeaky as HELL lately... mainly when going over bumps. Not noticing any issues w/ rebound, pulling, abnormal softness, etc. but it's loud as hell.

The Haynes book lists no grease points (that I'm seeing, anyway), only to inspect all the fittings and the rubber boots, which I've done. All looks good, but the rattling's getting worse.

Since I'm not seeing anything obvious from a visual inspection, should I have a garage take a look? Maybe even a dealer? I'm not clueless about mechanicals, just wondering if there's some specific, known issue I should be looking for.

Thanks!

2. iwashmycar

iwashmycar Active Member

Jun 1, 2009
    architecture
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    I had all sorts of clanking problems that were suspension related... Aside from crappy coilovers.... my problems stemmed from the strut top mounts. In the rear the upper shock nut wasn't tight enough, and in the front the crappy rubber 'pillows' or whatever is up there tended to be too squishy (can be in the rear as well).

Popping a strut out will only take a little while but you would be able to check them out more closely.

3. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    I would also have a look at sway bar bushings for noise, mine get a little scrunchy when they get dry.

There are no grease fittings tho, I have to take mine out and grease them up again, be sure to use something compatible with the rubber....

You might check you rear hatch hinges too, they need to be lubed regularly or they can break!

There's pretty active MINI club in Columbus, maybe hook up with those guys and let them take a look?

4. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    What is the temp? My car always sounds worse in the hot weather.........:biggrin5:

5. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Could be the sway bar bushings I suppose... Since I have to pull the entire bar out to renew the grease it sounds like, is there value in considering an up-rated/aftermarket unit? If so, are there any that anyone would recommend with external grease fittings, so I don't have to repeat this procedure often? I hear getting the bar out can be a BIOTCH.

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    You don't have to remove the bar to grease the bushings, just remove the bracket and slip the bushing off the bar - they're split. But OEM bushings shouldn't really need grease anyway, only the poly aftermarkets....

A heavier rear bar is great if you're going to autocross or track your car, otherwise it's a PITA and makes the car ride harsher - I have to reset mine to it's softest setting after each event or it just kills me on these terrible pot holed crappy roads the rest of the time.

Most of the aftermarket bars I've seen have grease zerks in the bushing holder brackets.

Check those hatch hinges......

7. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    H-Sport rear bars have zerk fittings on the bushings. I'm not aware of any other bar that has them. Although there may be some.

8. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,913 / 1 / -0
    H-Sport FTW.....:D
    Compliant bushing for NVH...
    Grease zerks for NVH

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    My bar must be an H sport then, I bought it used so I didn't get any info.......

10. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I have a cabrio so there are not rear hatch fittings... :)

11. jiminni

jiminni Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Ca.
    Ratings:
    +262 / 0 / -0
    You runnin aftermarket rear control arms? A lot of them use heim joints, they will often start making noise too, think its a groaning noise though?

12. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Nope, everything suspension-wise is stock. I've never bothered to upgrade any of those components because the Cooper S cabrio is actually already somewhat strengthened/stiffened compared to the coupe due to the lack of a roof. Plus, I don't track the car or drive like a madman through the corners (...usually, anyway...) so I've never felt the need.

I'm going to have my local garage take a look for obvious sources - hopefully with the car up on an actual lift they can pinpoint the location better than I've been able to.

QUESTION: Has anyone (cabrio or coupe) ever heard a "knocking" sound in or around the rear wheel wells when the suspension bounces over things in the road? Recently, the usual "squeekity-squeek" has occasionally escalated to the sound of something actually banging around somewhere around there, but I only hear it when the car's in motion, so it's difficult to pinpoint. Again, I'm not seeing anything obviously worn, broken, or out of alignment with the car on a stand and the wheel off, but I've not yet actually put the car up on a lift for a proper inspection. Just wondering if there are any known issues I should specifically ask them to look for (the Haynes book simply lists all the usual wear spots, many more for the front vs. the rear due to the moving parts up front).

Thanks guys!

13. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    Matt, I had a knocking sound in my '04 and it was the the nut not tightened on the top of the rear shock. We found it when removing the rear shocks looking for loose or worn parts. Tightened it with an impact wrench and never heard it again.

14. ImagoX

ImagoX New Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I'll ask them to check it - thanks.