1st Gen R53 Cooper S Starter won't go into housing SOS

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by smokintires, Mar 14, 2014.

1. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    im in the process of replacing the starter on my 06 r53. the old one is out, header is out so i have plenty of access. i cannot get the new srarter to go itno the transmission. is there something im missing? do i have to pull the flywheel out of the way? put it in at a certain angle? im at the point that i want to through a wrench through my window(not really, but close) please help!!:mad5::mad5::mad5:

2. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    Sorry no help here. I checked the Bantley manual it just said install in reverse of removal. Have you put the two starters to gather to make sure they are the same?

3. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This is exactly what I was going to say. ^^^ We don't know what stater you got or where you got it from but it may not be the same spec as the original one.

Make sure all the bolt holes all line up with the one you took out.

4. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0

:Thumbsup: Yeah sure you were Dave. I've noticed that you've been copying off of MCSO2 for weeks now and I'm going to tell Nathan put a stop to your copy cat ways.:lol::lol::lol::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

5. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    I've seen a few threads on the "other site" where folks have been given the auto starter rather than the stick and vise-versa.....seems some of the parts databases are messed up as to which is which..... Believe BOTH NAPA and auto zone had the numbers/parts switched if I recall right....
    The shape of the starters are different.... And not interchangeable....

6. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    The awesome thing is, the second I got the done out I rushed it back to Pepboys, I needed money from the core charge to get a belt tensioner because I also have to do my water pump. The bolt holes line up, does the none for the automatic transmission have a thicker good around the gear? That seems to be the part that is stopping it from going in. And I for it fom Pepboys. I ordered it I. Store, making sure they knew it was the standard transmission. And I looked it up in the website and it says for manual transmission

7. MCS02

MCS02 Moderator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Male
    Ratings:
    +7,891 / 10 / -3
    I would go back to Pepboys and compare starters. If it come out easy it should go in easy. I don't care what their book says it could be incorrect.

8. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Pepboys strikes again!:mad2:

OEM parts by VIN number is the way to go.

9. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    I had this issue a few months ago with an Autozone starter, I had them cross reference the part number and it was showing as the same for all manuals. The auto had a different part number but there wasn't one in stock to compare it to. Stand the starters up (new and old) and look at them to see a difference, the gear was offset differently on the new one compared to the old. What was happening was the cover for the gear was contacting the flywheel when I tried to put it on.

10. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut:Yeah, Manny, Moe, and Jack (Mehoff):ihih::lol::Thumbsup:

Jason

11. smokintires

smokintires New Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    Yeah after a day of pissed off fidgeting, and I've done starters in other cars it's not a hard job, I brought it back to Pepboys. Luckily the hadn't sent my old core back yet sobi could compare them. The hood that goes over the gear was completely different. Both on their online and in store catalogs the had this one marked for the standard trans. And in their listing for the auto trans version was the one I needed. I needed the car the next day for school and work so I bit the bullet and went to the dealer and spent 360 on a own one. I was told there that for the r53, this starter is only that one starter. But the normal cooper has different depending on the trans

12. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    Glad you got it fixed. Sorry you ended up having to spend so much to do so.