1st Gen R53 Cooper S Starting problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by Squirlz, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Molly's MINI (2005 S) has a problem. It's been parked since the Dragon and the other day I found it had no juice at all. Seemed strange but it started right up with a jump. Let it run for a while then shut it off and tried to restart.

It had juice, but it just made a BANG BANG BANG noise from the starter and the headlights flashed along with it. You can see the pully turning slightly as it does this. It's not the battery. Does it sound like a bad starter? It will start with a push. Any ideas?

2. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    Yup sounds like the starter, time to pay Chad a visit at DT.

3. Jason Montague

Jason Montague New Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Jan 5, 2010
    Physician Assitant (retired)
    Sherman,Tx
    Ratings:
    +1,588 / 0 / -0
    :cornut: Or if you're a DIYer...............eMINIparts.:Thumbsup:

Jason

4. Squirlz

Squirlz New Member

May 4, 2009
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well it WAS the battery. I thought I had that ruled out as the indicator was green and hooking up the battery from our old Falcon didn't change anything. But we did get it to jump start, Molly drove around for about 10 minutes, and again it would not restart. So we took the battery out of mine, put it in and it fired right up. Her battery just wouldn't take enough charge to crank it sufficiently. Thanks everyone!

Oh...where's a good place to get a battery?:p

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    That green eye only shows the condition of one cell. As you now know it chan be shining at you when you have a dead battery. I'd recommend a battery tender if you plan to leave any car sitting that long. The MINI uses a bit of power just sitting there waiting to go for a drive. Glad you worked it out.