Engine Drivetrain 1st Gen Cooper Steering Pump Cooling Fan

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Denty, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Denty

Denty New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hi Gang,
    I have a 2003 R50 with a blown steering pump fan. I doesn't look to complicated but I lack insight. Should I install a guard over the new fan? Do I have to use a oem fan? Is there another way to cool the pump without using a fan? The fan set up just doesn't look right.
    Thanks for any words of wisdom and your time,
    Denty

2. RallyMini370

RallyMini370 Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2012
    Engineer
    Central America
    Ratings:
    +1,587 / 0 / -0
    I used a 12V servo fan from a computer to fix mine($0). Just needed sealing of the wires to make it waterproof and works a treat . I was thinking of a bigger fan up front and pipe the fresh air down to the pump or go manual steering which might be a tad heavy to park.

3. Denty

Denty New Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Thanks! Chris

4. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    #4 Steve, Nov 25, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
    Your instinct is right, it's one of the least complicated fixes you'll ever do, if you go OEM. You can switch fans as Chris says and it's still not much of a challenge according to a few accounts I've read on M/A.

A stock swap requires you to remove nothing else. To remove, you pull 2 mounting bolts and unclip the wire, all easily accessible. Installation is a simple reversal.

To use a non-OEM fan you'll need to find a perfectly matching and fitting fan, and/or adapt one that comes close to fit the OEM shroud, and then splice in the stock connector.

You also asked about a guard. I still don't have one and haven't had a problem after ~72K miles but they're fairly cheap and look easy to install. If you're handy you might be able to make your own. :Thumbsup:

5. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    The new replacement oem part comes with a fan guard. Easy swap out for sure. You can get the fan from several of our sponsors here.

6. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I have been thinking about buying one and just putting it on the shelf until that day comes because it will come one day. :fingerscrossed::nonod:

7. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I'm on my fourth fan. Fans are cheaper that P/S pumps. :)

8. Steve

Steve Administrator
    Staff Member Articles Moderator

Apr 23, 2009
    Maryland, USA
    Ratings:
    +3,166 / 0 / -0
    Really? I had no idea. That represents an improvement over the original part for at least the early year MINIs like my '02. :Thumbsup:

9. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I went the non-OEM Spal fan route. Which is the same fan, different connector. Just had to chop off the old connector and solder onto the new fan wiring... saved a heap of $ that way.

10. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    The cost of the spal made oem fan has been going up....exchange rate i bet....
    But the last time i changed mine...oh about 4 years ago i installed the oem cooling fan duct that was introduced on the cabrio's....
    Cost about half the cost of a fan at the time....and has extented the lifespan of the fan by tons...and hopefully the ps pump. Was about a 15 minute install...the kit can still be found....was the duct, and a new plastic part for the underbumper shield for the duct to connect too...
    Has paid for itself in just replacement fans....
    Up here in nh, the snow, sand, grit, etc was costing me a fan per year....

11. ZippyNH

ZippyNH Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Pilot
    Southern NH
    Ratings:
    +688 / 0 / -0
    Pre 2005 fans (if orgional) had the fans riveted to the fan bracket...simply drill them out, and reinstall with screws....the tiny bit of work can save you about $30 or so if you buy the fan bare...no bracket.

12. Crashton

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,656 / 2 / -0
    I saw those ducts, but with a skid-plate there is no easy way to install one for me. Don't know if the skid plate is making my fan die early or not. When you are changing oil it is easy to reach over & give the fan a spin. It should be smooth not tight or rough in its movement.

13. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    The price of the cabrio ducts has exploded over the past couple of years. I destroyed mine at the dragon this spring, and could not bring myself to pay what they want for them now for a replacement. Used to be a $35 part. Not anymore.