stewing during production?

Discussion in 'MINI' started by thirdraildesignlab, Sep 22, 2010.

1. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Ha, so my first MINI I was blessed to have avoided the niggling second guessing of a custom build during the anxious production wait, yet also blessed to receive exactly what I spec'd: my clever dealer at MINI at Concord, After several exchanges, proved his cleverness by ordering what I spec'd in one of his build slots. He always kept one car open in his allotment for call-in or emailed orders, and this allowed him to get cars on the lot faster than the other dealers in the bay area, at a time when the MINI fervor was such that people waited 9 months for a build at M of M V and paid $4k over MSRP at M of SF. Anyway, he sussed out that I was serious, just waiting to sell my GTI, so he ordered my build. I didn't know this. He called me some weeks later and informed me my car was in the showroom with some jackass behind the wheel , and sent a camphone photo. Yep, it worked. I was down there a few days later, traded the GTI and drove the new MINI out the double doors of the showroom in a fog of delight and sublimation. So, I never had to wait for a build, given a chance to rethink the order and doubt it.

4.5 years later, we're back in the MINI community after deciding our hastily acquired Honda Element, while a bitchin' vehicle to camp and haul bikes in, was NEVER going to replace the MiNI enthusiasm (purchased because of a new baby) and I'm in that place so familiar from reading the production threads on NAM... Waiting for your car, stewing over choices. Now, we came back because we had never considered the Fugman, outraged as many MINI owners were initially, at the new geometry. But having test drove one and test fit it with a stroller and car seat I noted I could have my cake and eat it too: easier baby transport, still feels like a MINI. So I ordered a Clubman S.

I'm not much of a second guessed, to be honest. We ordered a clubby version of my first gen MINI. I mean exact. But it IS funny how the wait allows you sufficient time to second guess your choices.

As I had finished my very good deal at the dealership I settled on (this time MINi of SF) i was heading out and saw they had just taken possession of their first three 11' models. One in the causeway before the upper level ramp was a White Silver Package R55. I was only familiar with that color as a Camden exclusive (no longer) and was taken by it: ooh, now that peopler white is more common, this is unique; ooh, the effing BODY COLOR C-PILLARS! But I wasn't completely sold on the two tone wheels and of course the $1800 package that is largely made redundant by the options one would presumably normally take on an S model anyway. But man, I went home, told my wife, and we both were stewing. It was the tails. That body color C-pillar business! You've seen it most likely, the Italian version of the Soho D had them in one of the spreads this year. The black (or silver) ring around the barn doors on the Clubman is the one factor we liked less on this design, rectified by body color in the lower C-pillars. Anyway, we stewed. Second MINI, first time stewing. Ha!

So, what options or choices did YOU stew on, and how do you feel about them, now that you have been driving your MINI for a spell? I suspect all is forgotten once you get behind your MINI. Like I said, I stewed fairly little, but I see threads where some members are flipping out over there choices afterward. Were you happy wi what you spec'd, or dod you have laments?

In my case, hell, I like to mod, so I'm painting my own pillars.

2. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I did not stew, only because it was my first (but not last) MINI. After she arrived and I found the MINI sites I, realized I paid way to much for some options I could have done myself and been able to add some options I dropped. This was all due to lack of knowledge at the time, so it is water under the bridge and I am still not stewing. :cornut:

Jim

3. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Shoulda got a JCW. No way I could have afforded one, though. But it sure would have taken care of a few mods right off the bat.

4. thirdraildesignlab

thirdraildesignlab New Member

Sep 21, 2010
    architect
    SF Bay Area
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I will say that I didn't get the JCW the first time because of sticker shock and the belief I could get there aftermarket cheaper and with even more performance.. but was later gunshy about voiding warranty on some of those mods, so in the end, the factory-warranty aspect of JCW is a value add I really didn't consider. I would have done it this time around if it could have been affordable. But nooooope!