Engine Drivetrain 2nd Gen Strange, But Good

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by Justa Jim, Sep 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Justa Jim

Justa Jim Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    I have learned that there are lots of mods for the R50, but very few (if any) for the R56 Cooper. Not a wing, a spoiler or even an extension. I got caught up in the mod thing, but thanks to a post from Lynn (though not really related) I started to take a look at what I was trying to do. My car is truely the "lost Generation" and I am fine with that. What I have is what I have. Sadly there are a lot of vendors missing the boat out there, but now I realize that that is money in my pocket and that is not a bad thing. Others might beat me on top end and in the turns, but the MPG is all mine and in todays world that is not a bad thing.

Jim

2. ammodave

ammodave New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Retired
    NW Fl
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Amen. I opted for a plain cooper because I didn't want to get involved with run flat tires, melting hood scoops and questionable fuel pumps. My last toy car was a forced induction Miata and it was fun but certainly not issue free. The justa is a solid platform that will not win any stoplight drag races but it suits me just fine. That said, if someone comes up with some interesting performance add-ons, I'll be glad to give them some business.

3. Dr Obnxs

Dr Obnxs New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    A Man of Wit and Charm! (Just ask my wife!)
    Woodside, CA, up in the hills and trees.
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Don't worry

stuff will come. All the R50 owners complained (and some still do) about lack of stuff for thier cars. If you think there is a lot out there for the R50 compared to the R56 base car, really it's only because of the time the R50 has been out. It's neglected too.

But don't forget, all the suspension and chassis stuff for the turbo prince fits the base cooper too, so you're not as neglected as you think!

Matt

4. Minidave

Minidave Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #4 Minidave, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
    jbewly, what sorts of stuff are you looking for?

Most of the engine mods for the R53 are supercharger specific, since you don't have a supercharger, they don't apply.

Most all of the body mods, brake mods and suspension mods, wheels etc. are the same and will work if you choose.

If you're looking for louder exhaust, that's out there. There are CAI's if you're looking for a louder intake. Appearance stuff for the engine compartment should be the same, and there even used to be a JCW kit for the Justa R50, don't know if they did it for the 2nd gen cars tho.

There are also "chips", like the Unichip for the Justa, I know someone who has one.

However, I don't know how much of this stuff applies to the 2nd gen cars.

So, what are you looking for?

The biggest complaint I hear from Justa owners is the lack of go-faster stuff for the engine, but then the one thing all Justa owners are proud of is the exemplary mileage their cars get - so the first thing they want to do is ruin this?

Short of headwork/camshafts/headers and internal engine work, I don't think any of the go-faster bolt on stuff does help the Justa's performance much, and by the time you tote up your costs, you're in R53/R56 territory - but if it's sound or appearance you're looking for, it's all out there.

5. Metalman

Metalman Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 29, 2009
    Ex-Owner (Retired) of a custom metal fab company.
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ratings:
    +7,916 / 1 / -0
    #5 Metalman, Sep 13, 2010
    This should work for you guys needing more speed.:D

[​IMG]

Notice...... it's a Cooper too!

6. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    And it won't hurt the mileage either! :D

7. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Minidave, I was looking for a spoiler, wing tip extension, exahust. None of these are available for the R56 Cooper. I guess it was your thread that got me to thinking about getting a bit more performance without killing the reason I bought the justa. As a result, I changed the type of tires I was looking for, to a more reasonable choice and backed off on the idea of a splitter and GP type wing. One can get all caught up in the "mod" thing and not think. I would like a spoiler, if only for looks and a free flow, cat back exhaust. Perhaps we need to start a forum called "MMA" (MINI Modders Anonymous). :Thumbsup:

Jim

8. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast one slow. Lots of suspension parts available to make your Just really corner fast. Corners are where all the fun is. :D

9. Minidave

Lifetime Supporter

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    Overland Park, Ks
    Ratings:
    +5,003 / 1 / -0
    #9 Minidave, Sep 13, 2010
    Anything that fits an R56 body will fit the Justa Cooper, it's the same body. You might have to drill some holes or something, but the dimensions are the same.

And there definitely should be a cat-back out there for it. I know they made them for the R50's, cause a buddy had a MagnaFlow on his Justa, and changed to a Borla - or the other way round....

You can't put the factory GP wing on an R53 or R56 either, it takes a different back glass IIRC.

10. Onasled Racing

Onasled Racing New Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I love when I get the opportunity to track prep a non S. We had some good fun with Jason's Brownmini last year and when it was done he was passing well driven S's on the track. That's with an over 100K tired motor.
    Needless to say it was not the best "daily driver" anymore. ;-)

11. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Interesting, did you do that mainly through suspension or other things. Of course you make a good point about the "daily driver" angle, What would you suggest to hit a happy medium?

Jim

12. Rally

Rally New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    There areR56 non-s exhausts available.

And if you didn't want to go with these, any exhaust shop would be able to create you a custom one. (probably much cheaper too):Thumbsup:

Or you could put an R56 MCS exhaust on there and toss on an MCS bumper (or modify the MC bumper)

Supersprint who also have a header for the non-s:

Supersprint North America : Muffler w/ Round Tip<br>Tip Description: 90mm Round

OBX makes cheaper copies of the supersprint header:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UHZG4M/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001UYSN4K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=09EMXR1N015P0FKP4VRJ"]Amazon.com: OBX Header 07-09 Mini Cooper Base Model 4-1 (2pc.): Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VKXo7aKhL.@@AMEPARAM@@41VKXo7aKhL[/ame]

In my opinion, modifying cars is about modifying cars....not buying parts. Things like a spoiler extension are a great excuse to get to working on your car. Browse the classifieds and ebay for a used spoiler, strip the paint, and get to work, make an extension of your own. :Thumbsup:

13. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    Or, if you don't want to fab your own, many companies make universal spoiler extensions. You just determine the width you need:

Universal wings

[​IMG]

14. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    If only they made one short enough...shortest I saw listed was 45.3" and the R53 wing is like 38".....:(

15. Rally

Rally New Member

May 5, 2009
    Ohio
    Ratings:
    +50 / 0 / -0
    They're usually made of ABS, so cutting a 7" section out of the center and fusing them together wouldn't be difficult. Working with ABS is simple (and a lot of fun) :Thumbsup:

16. Justa Jim

Lifetime Supporter

May 6, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,685 / 0 / -0
    Seems like I was not looking in the correct places. Thanks for the tips and I will look a bit more "out of the box" so to speak. :Thumbsup:

Jim