1st Gen R53 Cooper S Supercharger Screaming Problem

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by panaphobic, Nov 10, 2012.

1. panaphobic

panaphobic Club Coordinator

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    So I developed a weird problem today while I was driving around. I ran a few errands today. I took my girlfriend to get her eyebrows done after we ran some errands. My R53 was off and sitting for like 15 mins or so, about the same time my R53 had been sitting at our other stops. It wasn't running while I was waiting for her either. So we left and started driving and I gave it some medium throttle and heard a very weird sound. It literally sounded like some little kid screaming so I looked around and didn't see anyone, and then I turned the corner and gave it a medium throttle and I heard the sound again. I was like what the hell is making that sound. So I started playing with the throttle and noticed it was only when the TPS was reading above about 30. I have 2 videos of it. One is me driving showing the ScanGauge2 with the TPS sensor. The other is in the engine bay so you can hear the sound. The first video isn't as loud but the 2nd one is easily noticeable.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6tEPTY9HII]MINI Cooper supercharger screaming issue 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpRzXhmZNkY]MINI Cooper supercharger screaming issue 2 - YouTube[/ame]

I also attached a photo of the intake horn on the driver's side that had slipped a little bit. I did move this back to the correct that but that didn't seem to be causing the issue as it was still making this sound. I will have some time tomorrow to mess with it. It doesn't appear to be coming from the supercharger itself or the pulleys. I also replaced the tensioner pulley about 2 years ago, and the by-pass valve just this past summer. I have never heard this problem before, just seeing if anyone else has seen this, and maybe get some ideas of what to check.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm. I've heard that sound before, when I tried to run the car with the intercooler off it. lol

That sounds like a pretty "normal" SC sound, when the SC output is open in some way (e.g. missing IC)

That pic of the IC boot that you show had slipped more than a little bit... it's almost all the way off in that pic... and would make that sound if it was pushing all the way back to make a gap when under boost. The boot shouldn't be able to slip at all with the clamps snug. If it can, you need new IC boots.

If that's not it, then it's something else on the pressurized side of the IC, and there's not that much it can be - boots, IC itself (sometimes they rupture), that's about it...

How much boost can you make at WOT, per your scangauge? It should be way down if it's blowing past the IC boot.

3. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    That's what I was thinking. I don't know what the boost pressure was at full throttle as I didn't want to rev it out that far just in case something else was wrong. I'll be taking it apart tomorrow to see what's going on exactly. Just trying to get some ideas on what everyone else thinks. Might as well get all the info before hand so I can check everything and spend less time going back and forth.

I didn't think about the intercooler being bad, I'll have to check it out as well. Thanks for confirming what you think it could be and for the additional info!

4. jeffster06

jeffster06 Active Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Dallas, GA
    Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    Well the sound in your video is definitely better than when we were talking on the phone earlier. seeing the boot slipped that much I would reach under and see if you can feel its mated up all the way. I know when I had my IC off before that right boot was a pain to keep the bottom half slipped on all the way....

oh and it doesn't sound like a kid screaming.... more like a baby elephant

5. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yup, the boot needs to be replaced. I also found that the horn was loose. The back nut actually fell off and luckily it was just sitting there so I lucked out by not losing it!

[​IMG]

So I retightened the horn and torqued it down this time. I must not have torqued it when I replaced the by-pass valve in the summer.

I also retightened the boot clamps and tested it again. Definitely sounded normal again but the boot was still sliding, so I'll be ordering some new ones. Until then though, I jerry-rigged a way to keep the boot from moving on me until the new ones get here. I tested it with it set up like this and it appears to be holding fine now and it's not moving on me. A temporary fix until I get the replacement boots.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. cooperSml

cooperSml New Member

Jul 20, 2011
    Engineer
    Living on South
    Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    You should check the gear on back of SC that drives the water pump. This is associated with some unexpected temperature increase. Its one thing to look at.

Gear on the super charged were damaged.
    SC_gears_detail.jpg

Gear on water pump side

WP_gears.jpg

7. ScottinBend

ScottinBend Space Cowboy
    Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Bend, OR USA
    Ratings:
    +2,678 / 1 / -0
    One other thing to investigate is why did the horn move that much. Motor mount?

8. panaphobic

Jul 19, 2010
    Customer Support
    Tewksbury, MA
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I am planning to replace the motor mounts in the spring. They aren't completely shot but they don't look too healthy. My MINI has almost 150k and the factory bushings and mounts, so I'm going to be overhauling them in the spring when I have more time and money.

9. KittyMini

KittyMini Club Coordinator

Jun 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +1,183 / 0 / -0
    Wow, that was a freaky noise!
    Glad you got it figured out.

10. Gizmo

Gizmo New Member

May 22, 2012
    Graphic Design Student/Airport Office Assistant
    Flemington, NJ
    Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    It's like a double whine...don't being who are possessed in movies talk with double voices? Maybe your mini is just possessed by the devil. ;)

I would change out your motor mounts and bushings as soon as you can...they are long over due.

11. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    I clean my IC boots and snouts with lacquer thinner to remove all oil before putting them on. I also scuffed the shiny parts of the shouts a little to insure the rubber has something to hold on too. I also used a grinder to shave off about and 1/8 of and inch of each clamp so they clap together tighter.

This helps the grip and insures no IC coupler boost leaks.

12. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    Ditto on all that... I do/did the same stuff.

If you shorten the clamps, you need to use care not to over tighten the clamps. They can cut or deform the new boots and actually make them seal less well.

13. Dave.0

Dave.0 Helix & RMW Powered
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Burbs of Philly, PA
    Ratings:
    +14,644 / 10 / -4
    This is soooo true, very good point.:Thumbsup: