Suspension Brakes 1st Gen Suspension issues--car going to right

Discussion in 'Tuning and Performance' started by cct1, Sep 8, 2011.

1. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Now that everything is ok with the swaybar, I can get at what REALLY is a problem.

Basically, with the wheel straight, the car points slightly to the left. On a flat road, it used to be dead straight with the wheel straight, but now it'll head left slightly. Let go of the wheel, and it's like the car turns itself to the right--it's not so much of a pull as an actual turn of the wheel.

It's not the alignment. That's been checked three times, it's dead on. It's not the tires or tire pressure, doesn't matter which tire is on which corner.

So I got underneath the car--CV boot looks fine, no play in the wheel or tie rod; I can't find anything wrong. Nothing is bent, everything looks ok. Bushings were all replaced last year for powerflex bushing, everything looks ok there.

The car only has 22000 miles on it, although a fair number of those are on the track. I've never hit anything, save rumble strips (and the ones at Road America aren't MINI friendly), I have spun at high speed, but that's the only other stresses the car has seen.

Anyone have any ideas what to check? I may have to break down and have the dealer take a look...

2. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Is one of your brakes dragging?

I'd also rotate tires front to rear & see if it changes.

The fact the wheel is no longer straight leads me to thing alignment or something worn in the front end. I know you said it was OK, but I'm still wondering why the wheel is not straight even with proper alignment. How competent is your alignment shop?

3. Nathan

Nathan Founder

Mar 30, 2009
    Writer
    Short North
    Ratings:
    +10,069 / 0 / -0
    While this might not be the most safe test to help narrow things down a little I would try the following.

On a level road with no crown and no traffic bring the car up to speed and then put in neutral. Take your hands off the wheel, not far off just enough to not guide the steering wheel and see what happens.

Just wondering of all that RMW power you now have is causing a bit of torque steer.

4. CHKMINI

CHKMINI Club Coordinator
    Lifetime Supporter

Sep 1, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,863 / 0 / -1
    #4 CHKMINI, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
    It could also be a steering rack issue. With both front tires off the ground and the car sitting level side to side, turn the wheel fully to one side and then to the other. Without pressure on the suspension see if you feel any roughness in the steering. Also check to see if the steering angle at full turn left and right are equal. Then, with the car running, place the front wheel pointing straight ahead, let go of the steering wheel and see if the wheels drift right or left, indicating an internal hydraulic leak within the rack. Like wise make a slight right and left turn and see if the steering (with the engine and pump running) drifts on its own to a greater steering angle. Just a thought.

5. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Things it isn't: Brakes aren't dragging. Doesn't matter what tires are on which corner, it still does it. Suspension is dead on with aligment--it's a dynamic issue, not a static issue. It's not torque steer--I did what you suggested yesterday in a parking lot Nate, it does it coasting without power. It was doing it to a lesser degree before the power was added.

Steering rack is definitely a consideration--I'll put the car up and give it CHKMINI's test. Any other suggestions are welcome.

6. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Are you sure it's not a Hyundai?

7. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    My car pulls conservatively (ie to the right), not liberally, to the left, like the Sonata. I wish it did pull to the left, then I could blame Obama, and maybe get some stimulus money to get it fixed.

I'll check the owners manual to be sure, and all the body emblems too; as many problems as I've had recently, if may very well be a Hyundai.

I'm getting the itch for a Lotus Elise, before the new ones come out and they get as heavy as a Mustang....

8. Rae

Rae Club Coordinator

Oct 14, 2010
    teacher for severely/multiply disabled students
    Oregon
    Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Finally got the car up on jacks--been sick as a dog, and on call on top of it. Not a good combo.

Anyway, with the car up, and all the weight off the front wheels, there is a slight but definite and consistent clunk when I turn the wheel to the left about ten degrees. None when I turn to the right. Off the jacks, I can't hear or feel it. With the wheels up, it's definitely there.

I got under the car, and turning the wheel, it seems that something is binding or grinding where the left tie rod meets the steering column--it seems that the problem isn't out at the wheel, but on the other side of the tie rod, toward the steering column. Weird, as the car wants to go in the opposite direction of where the noise is coming from.

With the engine running, it doesn't drift, and it doesn't do anything weird when I turn it, so I don't think it's the hydraulics, but something internal. I'm taking it in tomorrow, see if the stealer can find and fix it, without needing a second mortgage to pay for it.

CHKMINI, if it turns out to be what I think it is, I owe you a beer; putting the car up powered may have been the trick. I'm pretty sure that what I'm hearing/feeling is the culprit, nothing else looks wrong.

10. BThayer23

BThayer23 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Civil Engineer
    Durham, NC
    Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    Any updates?

11. M^Cubed

M^Cubed Member

May 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I had an issue like this. Mine was the subframe to control arm ball joint bolts had backed out.

12. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    After months and months of screwing around with this, the answer was a loose rear trailing arm. Seriously....

It was just tight enough that it takes a fair amount of effort to move it by hand, so much so that no one who checked it noticed it, until one very observant mechanic noticed that there was wear from side to side at the bolts--from them sliding under load. The right rear wheel was moving over half an inch, going from toe in to toe out depending on the situation.

Everything is good now, suspension has been realigned and balanced, car is back to awesome again.

13. Crashton

Crashton Club Coordinator

Jun 4, 2009
    Retired old fart
    Hooterville Ohio USA
    Ratings:
    +11,662 / 2 / -0
    Glad you figured it out. Four wheel steering sucks. :wink:

14. Redbeard

Redbeard JCW: because fast is fun!
    Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Glorified spreadsheet jockey.
    Austin, TX
    Ratings:
    +413 / 0 / -0
    I hate mystery problems like this. Glad you got it sorted out.

15. cct1

cct1 Well-Known Member
    Lifetime Supporter

May 5, 2009
    Ratings:
    +3,369 / 0 / -0
    Thanks--I was oh so close to buying and Elise, but all is good now (I hope). Now that I'm fairly certain the MINI isn't going to make me go postal, I look forward to getting more active on the boards again, got some cool parts I'm contemplating ordering to try out and critique....