1st Gen R53 Cooper S Sway Bar Grease

Discussion in '1st Generation: 2002–06 R50, R53 & 2004–08 R52' started by wzabrouski, Jul 26, 2010.

Tags:
  1. wzabrouski

wzabrouski Active Member

May 5, 2009
    Executive Director
    Keller, TX
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    What grease should I use to lube my rear sway bar via zerk fitting? Is there something I can pick up at a local auto parts store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. minimark

minimark Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,302 / 0 / -0
    Marine grease is what I use, supposed to hold up to water well.......and I already have it for the boat trailer.. :)

3. agranger

agranger MINI of the Month June 2009
    Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2009
    Project Manager
    Charlotte, NC
    Ratings:
    +1,863 / 2 / -0
    I use Energy Suspension's Formula 5 lube... I was able to order an 8oz tube from a local auto parts shop (it was a special order, but only took 2 days) and 'hand packed' it into a grease gun. It's the stuff that ships with the H&R bar that I purchased, but they only give you a 1oz capsule.

It's massively sticky (I use rubber gloves whenever I use that gun) and once on your hands, takes massive amounts of soap to get it off. I figured that's a good thing

4. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I use plain old green lithium crap that's in my grease gun. Never squeeks.

5. k-huevo

k-huevo Club Coordinator

May 6, 2009
    Pipe Creek, Texas
    Ratings:
    +159 / 0 / -0
    Petroleum based grease will degrade both rubber and polyurethane; over time the bushing will become tacky (more so than the lube) and exacerbate friction, or in the case of rubber, can crack. Use a non-petroleum based synthetic grease for long life. Energy Suspension's lube is appropriate albeit a bit pricey. I use Super Lube with PTFE on just about all applications that don't require a lighter moly or graphite base; besides being bushing friendly, it's high temp resistant.

[​IMG]

6. BlimeyCabrio

BlimeyCabrio Oscar Goldman of MINIs
    Lifetime Supporter

May 4, 2009
    Professional Facilitator and Alignment Consultant
    Holly Springs, NC
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 0 / -0
    I'll report when my bushings stop working due to using the wrong grease. Stay tuned. For a long time. ;)

BTW - that Super Lube is GOOOOOOD stuff... used it decades ago in the bike business and loved it then.

7. Eric@Helix

Eric@Helix New Member
    Motoring Alliance Founding Sponsor

May 4, 2009
    Shepherd
    Philadelphia
    Ratings:
    +1,257 / 0 / -0
    This stuff seems to last the longest. Many swaybar bushings have zirc fittings to ease the lubing (is that a word?). I recommend removing the bracket and bushing to inspect and clean by hand. It adds a little time to the project but it ensures that you get a good lube between the shaft and bushing (okay, now I'm blushing).

8. quikmni

quikmni Moderator

Jun 6, 2009
    Aerospace Engineer
    Orcutt, CA
    Ratings:
    +174 / 0 / -0